Travis

Thursday, November 15, 2001
Pier 2, Bremen, DE

Send this page to a friend

Pictures: 10 Upload Photo

Reviews: 1 Post Review
Trixi Posted: 29-09-04 2:53
6 hour-drive from Berlin to Bremen. We arrived about 16:30 at the "Pier 2" and this venue wasn?t easily to find. Ela and I missed it two times by walking along at the Pier without noticing, haha. We had to go over a muddy building lot to get there and we were the first ones and so we got the chance to listen to (...and even watch through a little window;-)) the soundcheck...an hour later Julia (from the Berlin-gig the night before) and her brother arrived and we chatted about last night and waited to the admission. The security guys in Bremen were nice blokes unlike those #*!$??#!!!! in Berlin the night before. Ela said she doesn?t want to stand in front this time and she?d rather sit on the balcony and watch the show from the back so she and Julia?s brother Alex went up. Julia wanted to stand in front of Dougie but I didn?t want to, because I couln?d have seen Andy properly then. That?s why I always try (successfully so far) to stand in the middle of the front row, where I have a good view to all of them..I talked a bit to a nice girl who came all the way from Poland and waited for the beginning. Turin Brakes were brilliant that night, better than ever to my mind :) The light?s turned off and this guitar-lessen-intro music started again. I just love this moment ? it?s so exciting when the crowd starts to scream and the band comes out :-D They started with "Sing" again. It was almost the same set as in Berlin but I didn?t mind. I could attend a Travis show every night with the same set without getting sick of it :-)...so after "Sing" came "Writing to reach you", "Pipe Dreams" and "As you are" and Fan didn?t say anything until this song. Afterwards he said "Hello" and "wie geht?s?" to the lot and he dedicated the next one ? Driftwood ? to the loser in our life, so everyone has a friend who is potentially brilliant but wastes it and this song was written from the prospect of a dear friend worried about another friend and if this person was with us that night we should turn at him and go "this is for you!" ;-) After that song somebody called something like "Where is Nora" (..I?m not sure what exactly, didn?t understand) and Fran said "Was?" (what?) and then "Oh she?s back in London. We?ve getting a carpet today and it came but it didn?t fit..." and so on *lol*...but he took the mick out of her without blushing!!! hehe, because she was there. Ela saw her smoking one after another in the back she told me afterwards ;-D...whatever, Turn was next ,yay!! the "Pier 2" war boiling! Then "Last train" and the beautiful "Indefinitely" and the even more beautiful "The cage" :-) This is one of the songs you shouldn?t listen with a depressed mood if you don?t wanna break out in tears. *sigh* The next one was my special beloved live track - "Follow the light", what a melody ! Afterwards Fran said this next song started as a Rap and it?s not so good because there only some accents which fit a Rap the best accent for a Rap is the American accent because it?s where it comes from. He said he looked in an Oxford-English dictionary and there where so many suffixes of side, like outside, inside, upside, downside, me beside, you beside...but the Scottish - and also the German accent doesn?t really fit for a Rap...and he told that we were all taught in school that the circle is the only shape that has only one side and it?s the simplest shape in the universe and it reminds him that even if we got any differences with one another from time to time we are all standing on the same side, whether we are white or black or yellow or whatever and there are always one or two shitty ppl that causes all the trouble like Bush for excample, and there are all like..*imitates-a-machine-gun* and we are the ones who get fucked, always ? they disappear behind their big, thick doors. The crow was cheering loudly!!...so "Side" followed. The next song Fran dedicated to all the girlfriends and families, of the band..."but mostly to our women, our lovers"...Dougie said "that sounds a bit saucy!"*lol*...and Fran again "Yeah, we?ve got millions of them...nah, we only `ve got one each" ;-) and he talked about how it?s like if you?re falling in love...that it?s not like this stupid Hollywood love but more like..."aah, you again...because you know this person so well...and the next song was ? of course - "Flowers I the window" :) followed by "Safe", I love the second verse of it so much. awww *melts* "Humpty Dumpty Love Song" was next. That?s - to me - like with "Follow the light" ? more inconspicuous on the record than it?s live. Brilliant! Fran changed his sleeveless shirt for his red Sweater (look at my pictures) which caused a loud cheering and whistling especially from the female crowd, haha.;-)..?hm, I actually didn?t know why he did that, and I didn?t believe his explanation by saying "it?s chilly, isn?t it?" *lol* I WAS SWEATING LIKE MAD!!!
"WDIAROM?" came next and the crowd was celebrating indeed during that song...Bremen was a better crowd than in Berlin the night before, at least I felt that way. Fran said something like Singing is the best, isn?t it? When you sing your brain releases chemicals that make you feel happy and it?s no surprise that every religion uses songs to make you feel like you?re full of God or whatever but that?s rubbish. It isn?t God but it?s the music! Everyone was cheering. So the next song was a song about songs ? "Slideshow".
I love Andy?s guitar solo in it. "Slideshow" skipped glueless to "Blue flashing light". Encore break. The crowd was amazing. As soon as Travis went off the stage everyone started to call them back...non-stop. Fran and Dougie came back alone first, and I knew what that meat..wohoooo!!!!! Baby one more time! That song was real fun, real party. Seemed like EVERYONE in the room knew this Britney Spears lyrics, haha
Dougie sang "All the young dudes" again and this song continued the happy mood in the crowd.
Fran said thanks to the audience for coming and supporting and I couln?t believe it was over already, because it meant now they?re gonna play the last song..awww, why time always flies so fast when you have fun !? Just not fair. Everyone was jumping and singing along during Happy and Fran said good bye with the words "schlaft sch?n, dankesch?n Bremen, tsch??!" and also come down for a minute to shake hands with us. (sleep well, thankyou Bremen, bye!) and the crowd didn?t stop to call for another encore for minutes. Outside I met Ela and the other two again and we had a LOT to tell, hehe..

entire setlist again:
01. Sing
02. Writing to reach you
03. Pipe dreams
04. As you are
05. Driftwood
06. Turn
07. Last Train
08. Indefinitely
09. The cage
10. Follow the light
11. Side