Travis

Wednesday, October 03, 2001
Radio City Music Hall, New York, NY, US

Support: Remy Zero
Send this page to a friend

Pictures: 5 Upload Photo

Reviews: 4 Post Review
Melinda Posted: 24-09-04 7:14
The time between when the tickets went on sale for this gig and when the show would be, was a trying time for everyone in the world. September 11th happened. And for a while, I considered not going. I was afraid to fly. But after deciding that was silly of me, I went.

New York, new friends, seeing Travis headline for the 1st time. A sold out gig at Radio City Music Hall. A huge goal of many bands. And I was there. The seats were good, and the set was excellent. I got to hear the songs "20" and "Happy" for the first time. After the gig, I got the chance to meet the band. There are moments that you have in life that you will always remember. But there are moments that get burned into your soul... Talking to Fran for the first time was one of those moments for me. It was very tender, as it was post 9/11 New York, my first time getting to thank him for his songs. He corrected me. "They're your songs," he said.

So we went back to the hotel. My songs still in my head... I flew home the next day.
Amandabug Posted: 30-09-04 8:23
I remember this show was somewhat of a bittersweet triumph. On one hand, this little band that I loved so much was playing Radio City - and the show was sold out! - and it was just plainly affirmation of how Travis had come, and how they were really making it in the US.
On the other hand, it was half a month after 9/11, and New York was still recovering. I had been away in Boston for university, and it was my first time back home in NYC after the attacks. I wasn't even sure if I could remember how to be happy again, or if it was ok to be happy.

So this show has a lot of significance. The Travis Posse met up before the show, and we comforted each other. We were more subdued, but having us all together to see Travis was part of the healing process for all of us.

I was in the pit for this show (how I happened to get that ticket still remains a mystery to me)... Watching Remy Zero play in this venue was also amazing. I felt so proud of them as well, and I was so glad they had the opportunity to play at RCMH.

I remember the band looking very small on the Radio City stage. I remember seeing the look of wonder on Fran's face as he surveyed the grandeur of the interior and the crowd before him. I remember that the show, as all Travis shows always have and will, filled me with such love. Dougie wore a New York tshirt. I knew this band loved this city as much as I did.

And while I didn't totally forget about the circumstances, for awhile I forgot about those horrible attacks. I remember I jumped a lot, and I stepped on the toes of the person who had the misfortune of being behind me in the pit in front of the stage. I remember my friend Alex and I were in front of Fran, and when he turned the mic to the audience to sing in WDIAROM, we sort of screamed the lyrics and we were certain we sounded horrible and Fran could hear how offkey and out of breath we were. I remember Fran said the proceeds of the show were going to the Firemen's Fund. And that's when I finally remembered what had happened 3 weeks ago. But it was okay to remember by then, because I felt so at peace with the world. That's what a Travis show will do to you I guess. You just fall in love with everyone and everything.
Alex! Posted: 11-11-04 4:07
Oh AMANDA i remember our truly AWFUL singing! ew! haha, but it was such a great show, and oh yeah - craig david and ben stiller were sitting nearby us....
tookatuktuk Posted: 12-06-05 5:26
a few years have past and i've since moved far away from nyc. however, the memory of that wonderful night spent at RCMH watching and cheering for one of my favorite bands of all time remains. before 9/11 had happened i had taped the tickets on my computer as a little happy reminder for the upcoming gig. but when all that craziness hit i thought that the show would be cancelled... everyone was cancelling, so it was only natural...but you guys kept your word and gave me (and a lot of other people) something happy and beautiful to look forward to during an aweful and dark time. that night lives and will continue to live in my memory. thank you. thank you so much for coming.
GET ARCHIVE GIG REVIEWS VIA RSS (RSS?)

ARCHIVE FAQ
December
22 Hammersmith Apollo, London, UK 
21 Hammersmith Apollo, London, UK 
20 Dome, Doncaster, UK 
18 Usher Hall, Edinburgh, UK 
17 Usher Hall, Edinburgh, UK 
15 City Hall, Sheffield, UK 
14 Brighton Centre, Brighton, UK 
12 Apollo, Manchester, UK 
11 The Forum, London, UK