Travis

Does The Guardian reviewer get ideas from this board?
Bryn
Bryn Posted Mon 29 Sep, 2008 1:37 AM Quote
Not to bring up past semi-unpleasantness, but in the review in The Guardian on Friday, it said,"Less convincing are...Long Way Down, which owes much to Oasis's The Importance of Being Idle." Interesting, no? I think maybe someone should point the reviewer to Fran's reply to that idea.

Another interesting opinion from the review was, I thought, "Confusion among fans may be sated by Last Words, their catchiest track since Sing." That leaves out a lot of catchy tunes, and does anyone think that Last Words is the catchiest song on Ode?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/sep/26/popandrock7

Re: Does The Guardian reviewer get ideas from this board?
Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 29 Sep, 2008 1:59 AM Quote
Weird...

That person must have read the board because I just cannot see two people coming up with that comparison on their own. And yeah, he pretty much left out all the songs the fans have been raving about.

Do these reviewers actually, like, listen to the album or what?? lol.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 29 Sep, 2008 2:23 AM Quote
I don't hear it at all I don't. I didn't say it at the time but I will now, I remember some people here in February saying 'that one that sounds like The Importance Of Being Idle.' I never knew which one but I'm guessing they were talking about Long Way Down.

I think Last Words might be the catchiest on the album. Catchiest since Sing might be a little off though. :)

By the way, having my 2nd listen now. A lot more positive than the first listen. Long Way Down still a slight disappointment but Chinese Blues and Last Words have hit me more this time. A solid 4 star album for me at the moment. :)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 29 Sep, 2008 2:26 AM Quote
Quite Free is still AMAZING I think. Sounds incredible on the ears. I adore it. Best on the album definitely. :) Thanks Fran! :)

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Mon 29 Sep, 2008 2:28 AM Quote
Haha, I love that you came back to the thread to say that you love Quite Free xD.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 29 Sep, 2008 2:29 AM Quote
random!
research for review=stealing ideas for boardies.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 29 Sep, 2008 2:35 AM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
Haha, I love that you came back to the thread to say that you love Quite Free xD.

Haha. I would have edited the other one but I can't scroll down it enough to add it to the end. On the iPod you see. :)

I just think it's totally amazing. Musically, the way it sounds with earphones in, is THE BEST Travis song ever I think. Turn is amazing for example but Quite Free shines and twinkles in your ears, unlike any other. It sounds amazing. :)

MoreThanMe
MoreThanMe Posted Mon 29 Sep, 2008 8:02 AM Quote
To be honest even I would say, having listened to the full song that Long Way Down is not really like The Importance Of Being Idle.

There is a very slight similarity, but its not " more than a nod " noway.

Funny thing that irony though eh... Lol

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 8:19 AM