Travis

Re: How did you discover Travis?
johnson293
johnson293 Posted Thu 02 Oct, 2008 9:29 AM Quote
Another here who first saw them supporting Oasis, september '97 at Newcastle Arena.

Have to admit though, on the night I was more interested in seeing Oasis, and couldn't didn't pay too much attention to Travis.

But there was somethign about their music, as in the days after the gig, I did start thinking about their songs, a few of which I couldn't get out of my head - and a while later I bought 'Good Feeling'.

From memory, I think their Oasis support set was pretty much the full 'Good Feeling' album.

But, I have seen Travis Live 6 times, and tonight at Newcastle Uni will be the 7th.

MJ

serch
serch Posted Sun 05 Oct, 2008 7:30 AM Quote
Well, I listened Travis in radio, I think in Radiactivo station, the first song was: Why does it always rain on me? Later, I saw Sing on tv and everything is history... I love Travis!

winatel
winatel Posted Sun 05 Oct, 2008 7:48 AM Quote
I'd never got the chance to know Travis until this May
(Cuz I live in South Korea, where Britpop is not that popular).

And I met a friend who is obsessed with Britpop, and she introduced many bands to me. Including Travis :)
She showed me Closer MV, and it's like...

Oh my. Those eyes. Who is that guy? Fran Healy? Wow.
And that guy who plays bass? Dougie? His smile is gorgeous!
They are cute! and wait...The Song is wonderful! I love it!

Since then, I'm like this :)
I even translate their interview into Korean so that other Korea fans can watch it.
Maybe I'm too obsessed with Travis?
What a nerd I am. XD

Dolly Mixed Up Girl
Dolly Mixed Up Girl Posted Tue 07 Oct, 2008 7:40 PM Quote
I saw them supporting Mansun in Bristol March 1997 - I was instantly hooked! I remember thinking then what nice guys they seemed - and my friend (whose name is Fran!) got Dougie's cigarette packet that he threw in the audience!
Loved and followed them ever since :)

varz
varz Posted Tue 07 Oct, 2008 9:45 PM Quote
I think I'd just got a good report at school so my mum was going to buy me a CD to say well done... And I was in Woolies and I was tied between two CDs - The Man Who or something else that I can't remember, and I chose TMW and to this day I have no idea why I chose TMW over the other CD - must've been fate or something! Kinda scary to think if I had made a different decision then I might not have gotten into Travis so much...

Loving reading everyone elses stories!

RUTHIEBABE00
RUTHIEBABE00 Posted Tue 07 Oct, 2008 10:04 PM Quote
I love this question! I first of all heard Why Does it Always Rain on me.. on the radio. I fell in love with it!

I had my first child in the Dec of 98 and when this came around I was going through Postnatal depression and I played it over and over... always seemed to uplift me for some reason... just felt that someone else was kinda feeling the pain too.....

I got the album straight away and then my husband bought me the DVD version so I could watch their videos.. which are fab!

Desperate to get another DVD set as I loved the Closer vid.. especially Dougie with that smile... makes me want to write Love you on my eyes!! lol

Their DVD's make me smile so much - best postnatal depression cure EVER!!!!

Ps... I have never seen the vid to My Eyes - Hillarious!!!!!! This post got me looking for other vids - thanks for that ;o)

alexandria_z
alexandria_z Posted Tue 07 Oct, 2008 10:35 PM Quote
Six years ago I was in my basement with my older brother watching "Pop-Up Video" on Much More Music, "Why Does It Always Rain On Me" came on, Fran touched Dougie's bum and the rest is history.

Hodgy
Hodgy Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 12:21 PM Quote
First saw them on TOTP doing 'Writing To Reach You', and I remember thinking they were a bit 'here today gone tomorrow', because I thought they had blatently ripped off 'Wonderwall', and they were being a bit daft by even name checking it in the song!

But then a few weeks later I was sitting in bed ill on a Saturday morning listening to Radio 1, and feeling pretty lousy in general and 'Why Does It Always Rain On Me' came on, and just thought it was a really nice catchy tune. Then, saw the video for 'Turn' not that long after and thought it was a lot different to a lot of other stuff around at the time(All Ibiza dance tunes and manufactured pop rubbish). So went and bought The Man Who, and then I was hooked!

nickynooboo
nickynooboo Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 3:25 PM Quote
It was the summer of '99 and I had just finished my first year at Uni. I think it was Driftwood and WDIAROM that were around about them. I loved both of the videos and it just seemed to fit in so well with what was going on in my life at the time.
I was only 19 then and I seemed to have grown up with Travis. Their music means so much to me, they can make my life better when things get a bit poo.
Have had so much going on in my life recently....My Dad is pretty ill and things aren't looking too good for him, but Ode to J Smith and the tour has been like a massive reprieve for me.

Thank you Travis!!!!

xxx

Craig
Craig Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 3:37 PM Quote
i got into travis in 1999 after a friend gave me a copy of the man who, i instantly fell in love with that album and have been hooked ever since my fav song to this day still being driftwood there was also sum tuff times in my life and there still have been but there music and gigs have helped me remember the good times and got me through life when its been shit.

my first travis gig was the reading festival in august 2001 and since upto last nights gig at the astoria have attended 14 shows since 2001 and hopefully there will be many more to follow in the future. my top 4 gigs at the moment are:

1. reading hexagon may 2007
2. bath pavilion october 2008
3. london astoria october 2008
4. alexandra palace october 2003

hopefully many more great shows to follow. i intend to travel to see the band in glasgow at some point in the future

Ruudio
Ruudio Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 3:39 PM Quote
In April 99 I heard Jamie Theakston playing Writing To Reach You on Radio 1 n it was the start of a long love affair! lol

kevvvy
kevvvy Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 7:39 PM Quote
Ruudio wrote:
In April 99 I heard Jamie Theakston playing Writing To Reach You on Radio 1 n it was the start of a long love affair! lol

Not with Jamie??? :)

Archduke
Archduke Posted Fri 04 Jun, 2010 8:25 PM Quote
when i was 12. i was watching Tv and my sister came near me and changed the channel. there was a Travis song -side- she told me "travis is a really nice band you should try it" well im 17 now , im still listening

joss
joss Posted Sun 06 Jun, 2010 3:41 PM Quote
Ok, so, once I was on my sister's computer and opened iTunes (at that time I wasn't interested in music) and I once clicked on the song Side, other day second time...and then I said: "What a great song and singer!" So that's all:) and now it's my best favourite band! and I hope that it will be forever!

roxytobias
roxytobias Posted Wed 16 Jun, 2010 6:39 AM Quote
it's a delight knowing this is the kind of crowd that love Travis. :)

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 4:17 PM