Travis

How did you discover Travis?
kevvvy
kevvvy Posted Sun 28 Sep, 2008 3:25 PM Quote
Just wondering what everyone's story is about how they discovered and got into Travis.
My own story is just before they released U16 Girls I received a postcard from Independiente. Think it was the one that had the big red star with a T in the middle of it. Had heard of them but not heard anything of them. Then they played U16 Girls on the Eveing Session and I was hooked. Was before the days of the internet so I could only hope I would hear it again on the radio. Was hooked right from the start and bought all their singles & albums on the day of release. Never seen them live until Xmas Eve 1999 and remember the excitement of getting 4 tickets for it. Didn't actually know another 3 people that wanted to go but thought I would go for it :). Ended up with my best mate, my on/off girlfriend and somebody my mate knew. Have seen them another 7 times since with the last one being on Friday night where I met Fran & Dougie. Their music has always helped me through hard times so it was a great feeling to meet a couple of the blokes that make that music and find out they're really cool guys as well!

Re: How did you discover Travis?
suecheung525
suecheung525 Posted Sun 28 Sep, 2008 3:41 PM Quote
7 years ago one day i watched Channel V as usually,"Sing" was played on the TV program,and then i fell in love with Travis at once.

Elein
Elein Posted Sun 28 Sep, 2008 4:07 PM Quote
It was love at first sight when they played Sing at Top of the pops. At first I fell in love with the music, and when the famous food-fight began I fell in love with the band. Now i'm never gonna get it together again:)

lesley
lesley Posted Sun 28 Sep, 2008 5:19 PM Quote
saw them supporting the longpigs in jan '97 before U16 girls came out. got AIWTDIR on 10". hooked since.

daytimeoyster
daytimeoyster Posted Sun 28 Sep, 2008 5:28 PM Quote
I was thinking about this earlier today before I see this thread, what a coincidence!

It was the year of 2007, the boy with no name was such a hit, but I wasn't interested at first. I remember that I had read a magazine which featured an article talks about the video of Closer, a friend of mine used Closer as her ringtone, I knew it was hit. I didn't like Closer very much so I didn't "get to know" the artist, I even didn't think of downloading the album or the song.

But 5 months later, I suddenly thought of the album. I thought it was soo hit, I should have a try and maybe I'll like it. Then I bought it, and I loved it, and my mum started calling it "the album that you listen to everyday".

that really was destiny for me to fall in love with the 4 Scottish men. The thought of getting a copy of TBWNN and getting to know this band just popped in my mind, for no reason, totally for no reason. That was the best thing that my brain has ever done.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sun 28 Sep, 2008 5:37 PM Quote
i was in an HMV and they were playing WDIAROM on a tv in the store. I just stopped and stared at it and waited for the name of the artist to come up. As soon as it did, i ran to the "T" section and found the 2 albums they had out at the time (Good Feeling, The Man Who) and bought them right away. this was very strange for me considering i never like songs the first time i hear them...i need to listen for a while, and also i was a highschool student at the time, didnt work yet, and buying 2 cds completely on a whim of a group i had never previously heard of what not something i ever did.
well, it paid off!

paul_c
paul_c Posted Sun 28 Sep, 2008 6:13 PM Quote
10 years ago. Sitting alone at the school disco as a sad little 11 year old, when the most beautiful song i'd ever heard came on. All the "couples" got up to dance, but i just sat alone and listened to every word. It made sense ("they don't know, what's in their hands... i'm not really sure this is love") and seemed to speak every single emotion i was thinking about every other person in the room.

When the song ended, i ran up to the DJ, knocked about 10 people over on the way, to ask him what it was. He told me "some song called 'More Than Us' by this new band Travis". I HAD to remember that. The next time i heard it was on the radio at home a few weeks later. I scrambled to get a tape to record it, and caught it from the second verse.

I still have that tape and More Than Us is still the greatest song ever written

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Sun 28 Sep, 2008 6:17 PM Quote
Elein wrote:
Now i'm never gonna get it together again:)

Love that :)

not-the-same
not-the-same Posted Sun 28 Sep, 2008 6:20 PM Quote
Hmm I first saw the video to 'Sing' on MTV in.. 2001? 2002? and went to buy 'The invisible band' right afterwards. A few weeks later I got to know that 'Why does it always rain on me' and 'Driftwood', two songs I already loved before but never knew the band's name (I wasn't as into music as I'm now^^), and I bought 'The man who'.. the other albums followed.. and now here I am ;)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 28 Sep, 2008 6:38 PM Quote
They were on the radio pretty much all the time. Haha. *sigh*

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 28 Sep, 2008 7:18 PM Quote
paul_c wrote:
10 years ago. Sitting alone at the school disco as a sad little 11 year old, when the most beautiful song i'd ever heard came on. All the "couples" got up to dance, but i just sat alone and listened to every word. It made sense ("they don't know, what's in their hands... i'm not really sure this is love") and seemed to speak every single emotion i was thinking about every other person in the room.

When the song ended, i ran up to the DJ, knocked about 10 people over on the way, to ask him what it was. He told me "some song called 'More Than Us' by this new band Travis". I HAD to remember that. The next time i heard it was on the radio at home a few weeks later. I scrambled to get a tape to record it, and caught it from the second verse.

I still have that tape and More Than Us is still the greatest song ever written

Awww Paul, that's so sweet and I can totally understand why you like More Than Us so much now.

We studied the lyrics for Driftwood at school when most people were out on some field trip or something and I looked up the other songs and bought TMW shortly after.

moo_the_evil_boffin
moo_the_evil_boffin Posted Sun 28 Sep, 2008 7:30 PM Quote
Just came out of school to become Home educated. I had a piano lesson, but left early to get some supplies for my new Home ed life, stationary etc. So I walked into W.H Smiths and 'Side' was playing. I instantly fell in love with it, so I asked the cashier who played it, then promptly bought the album. Never did get the stationary lol.

Parky
Parky Posted Sun 28 Sep, 2008 7:58 PM Quote
Saw them support Oasis in 1997.

Not heard of them before that, but was blown away with All I wanna do is rock which they opened with.

tonybony
tonybony Posted Sun 28 Sep, 2008 8:12 PM Quote
it was 8 or 9 years ago, when i saw the sing video, and then i bought an illegal copy of the invisible band xD since that day i love travis.

silvella
silvella Posted Sun 28 Sep, 2008 8:45 PM Quote
In 3 steps:

1: Heard Flowers In The Window and Sing on the radio and bought The Invisible Band. Listened to it a few times and thought: good music, okay.

2: A few years later. Somewhere I read that they have a new album, The Boy With No Name. Bought it and liked it a little bit more than The Invisible Band. Saw that they come for a gig in Mannheim, asked my friend Tina to come with me and then...

3. 23. October 2007. Travis gig in Mannheim. Had one of the best days in my life. Was totally swept off my feet because of the music, the band, the performance, the quality and the songs I've never heard before. Met the guys after the gig for photos and couldn't believe how nice they are.

After this night I bought all albums and looked for all I could get. And today I sometimes can't believe that there once was a time I haven't known songs like Driftwood, More Than Us and all these little wonders.

Thank you for enriching my life, Travis!

Pages [1] 2 3 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 8:31 PM