Travis

Re: BAR MONO in OSLO
mili
mili Posted Sat 20 Sep, 2008 10:08 AM Quote
cornax wrote:
I think Fran's right...'I Kissed a Girl' is much better when sung from the perspective of a sexually conflicted man. It seems less pretentious... ; )

It's related to Lola. The bf mentioned in "I Kissed A Girl" is obviously Lola. ;^)

BohEmiA
BohEmiA Posted Sat 20 Sep, 2008 2:59 PM Quote
WOW, yes it was some amazing night. I felt like I was in someones livingroom or at a school concert or something. There were so few people. I arrived at 18 and sat firm in the sofa in front of the stage waiting ;) hehe. Learned some Italian though. I have writte more about it + photos on my blogg: http://heleneshome.blogspot.com/2008/09/live-travis-suprise-and-danish-suprise.html

Oslo is the place to be, no doubt about it. Fran also asked that... I think they had been asked that all they.. Why Norway and Travis are such a great match. One guy called out "Because you are good!!" and then we all laughed a lot and say "Yeah"!!. I also love the whole improvised "sheet music stand" thing, taping the sheets onto the mic. I love the whole gay song too.. (I have now been informed several times that it's on top of all the charts... hehe.. though I had never heard it at the time.. ;) Wish you all could have been there :)

BohEmiA
BohEmiA Posted Sat 20 Sep, 2008 3:04 PM Quote
Oh yes, and I forgot. In case you don't read the blog. Fran actually called Mono from Berlin himself the night before and said "We are going to Norway tomorrow, can we play?" ;) Or maybe I interpreted it all wrong?

valen
valen Posted Wed 24 Sep, 2008 2:23 AM Quote
valen wrote:
Not long back from this evenings 30 minute gig, what a evening. The guys appeared just after 21:00 to start getting equipment etc. set up as they wanted it. Andy told me they had been participating in press-related events all day - he only found out about the gig from their web site, a real last minute decision, and very welcome. They withdrew from the stage, only to reappear at the agreed 21:45. Fran thanked the two other bands for allowing them to steal some the evening.

The guys then went on to perform a great, but all too short set, including Sing, Side, Long Way Down, Song To Self, Driftwood, Love Will Come Through (if my memory serves me right), I Kissed A Girl (And I Like It) - yes, you read correctly, they did a briliantly funny cover of this song. The rest of you that were there, help me out if I've missed any.

Unfortunately Fran didn't notice the guy in control signalling that they could play two more songs, so they played what was to be the last song, and gracefully left the stage. A short time later both Andy and Fran reappeared to listen to the main attraction, and went on to spend the rest of the evening at Mono, mingling with the rest of us mortals.

I texted my mum in Glasgow to tell her I was going to see Travis, to which she replied that I should give them her regards from Glasgow. I showed this to Fran, who proceeded to text my mum back (nothing bad, I promise).

After what must have been at least three hours of mingling, the guys were eventually bundled out the door and off to bed.

Definitely a night to remember.

Fran commented that he thought the song was actually about a man uncertain about his sexuality, which made all of the following text especially funny. Not wanting to trouble his brain with remembering the text of such a cronic song, he had the lyrics written out on paper, which he taped to his mic so he could read it easily.

As for mum, Fran made a sixy-something woman's day (I won't use the word OLD, that can be dangerous). I promised him the texts wouldn't end up on eBay :-)

Looks like the Glasgow Daily Record reads this blog, their article on the Oslo gig has "borrowed" some of my comments :-)

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/music/music-news/2008/09/22/travis-unveil-gay-cover-of-katy-perry-track-86908-20747575/

Pages Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] All Times BST Current Time 12:46 AM