Travis

Travis at Cois Fharraige - UN BE LIEVEABLE!!
MariaMak
MariaMak Posted Mon 08 Sep, 2008 3:17 AM Quote
Im so sickened. I wrote a big massive review of the gig and my internet page crashed.. ill have to do it again tomor, falling asleep now.
Heres a quick over view

Cois Fharraige - 3 day festival in west of ireland
Travis headlined.
Travis EVERYONES highlight
Heard nothing bad at all, i'd say they even made a few fans tonight.
Wow, blown away
Highlights: Band noticing our sign (only sign in the gig)
Dougies dancing and smiling
Andy climbing the scaffodling and continuing to play with one hand
Dougie singing part of turn
Dougie laughing at me after writing 'DOUGIE-THE DISTANCE!!' on the same sign
The new songs
How loud the audience were
Flowers in the window - busking style
Their new swedish keyboard player
The world record pogo
and finally and most importantly... I MET FRAN AND DOUGIE!!!!

Pictures to follow tomor or a.s.ap
I love fran and dougie. They're just nicer than nice. And they remembered me and my friends with the sign

Best night of my life!
Im the happiest girl in the world now
But i need sleep, more details to follow :D

EDIT: Review furher down vvvv

EDITEDIT: Monday 22nd Sept - Finally have a few pictures but not all, stupid dodgy camera! My internet is way too slow to upload them to the archive and can't find the pic of me and fran/dougie anywhere!! PANIC!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/MariaMak/SL270028.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/MariaMak/SL270031.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/MariaMak/SL270033.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/MariaMak/SL270067.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/MariaMak/SL270050.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/MariaMak/SL270051.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/MariaMak/SL270065.jpg

Re: Travis at Cois Fharraige - UN BE LIEVEABLE!!
Eledh
Eledh Posted Mon 08 Sep, 2008 3:26 AM Quote
Wow! It really seems you had a great night!
I'm happy for you and... Woah, a Sign? I think I should do that the next gig XD
I'm waiting for the pictures! *_*
And, by the way, I love this kind of reviews. I mean... It's all confused and it's just a few words, but it explains it all! *_*

MariaMak
MariaMak Posted Mon 08 Sep, 2008 3:31 AM Quote
ooh just found the set list, my friend got it

Selfish Jean,
Eyes wide open
Writing to reach you
Pipe dreams
Beautiful Occupation
Side
Love will come through
Closer
J smith
Something anything
Long way down
Song to self
Sing
Driftwood
good feeling
All i want to do is rock
Turn

-----------

Flowers in the window
Slideshow
Blue flashing light
Why does it always rain on me

Awww man, i want it to be 09.50pm all over again :(
I think i love Dougie now, he said he wouldn't sing the distance cause it'd been a while since they'd played it. So cute!
aww long live travis
ok ok seriously going to bed now
night

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Mon 08 Sep, 2008 4:44 AM Quote
Nice review and cool setlist! I'm glad you had a great time, thanks for sharing :o)

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 08 Sep, 2008 5:01 AM Quote
Glad u had fun and got to meet Fran and Dougie!!

Meridith
Meridith Posted Mon 08 Sep, 2008 3:10 PM Quote
Sounds like so much fun! Can't wait to hear more details! :)

Moray
Moray Posted Mon 08 Sep, 2008 5:50 PM Quote
No wonder the show was good - that's probably about the best setlist I've ever seen from Travis. Awesome!

frandougeil
frandougeil Posted Mon 08 Sep, 2008 5:58 PM Quote
glad to know u had fUN=)) everY Travis encounter is an amazing one..and what an amazing setlist!im excited to hear more details too=D

I felt like tt too right when i came back from their gig.. I liked Dougie more too after tt(not tt i dislike him before,i juz liked him a lot more afterwards=) he was sooo appreciative!

Tt's juz the beginning coz the aftermath is gonna take forever to go away=DD

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 08 Sep, 2008 6:06 PM Quote
Moray wrote:
No wonder the show was good - that's probably about the best setlist I've ever seen from Travis. Awesome!

yeah...I agree. That's a darn good setlist. Of course there are many Travis classics not on there..."As You Are" being the first one I noticed that's a must for me. But yeah..."Blue Flashing Light". Awesome!

Chiito-chan
Chiito-chan Posted Mon 08 Sep, 2008 6:19 PM Quote
Thanks for the review!
Glad you met them :)

paul_c
paul_c Posted Mon 08 Sep, 2008 6:56 PM Quote
I'm so gutted i didn't make it. I hate being skint :(

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Mon 08 Sep, 2008 9:56 PM Quote
Actually I think that is the same setlist as Shrewsbury ...or maybe I should keep quiet about setlists :)

MariaMak
MariaMak Posted Tue 09 Sep, 2008 2:53 PM Quote
Myself and my friend Dei decided to make a banner for Travis a half an hour before the gates opened. It said..Travis, We *heart* you 'as you are'.

We got the piss taken out of us by nearly everyone but we weren't bothered. It was the first thing Fran looked during the opening chords of Selfish Jean. We got a smile out of him which was good. Dougie liked the sign too, he give us a wink and one of his massive smiles. God i *heart* him.
They went straight from Selfish Jean into Eyes wide open, lots of contact made with Dougie here. Not messing he's so good to interact with the crowd.

For writing to reach you, my ears were blown off. The crowd got louder and louder with every song. Then again i was contributing. The videos are awful you can just hear me roaring the words...oops! I think they said hello after this song and started into pipe dreams which was gorgeous. It was at this point myself and my friend Dei were saying how Cds with live music didn't do them any justice. They sing so much better!!

Fran introduced beautiful occupation. Side was another massive hit with the crowd. Love will come through was def one of my favourites, sounds amazing live!! Myself and my friends were on the big screens about 5 times at this stage. We had no idea, people kept poking us to tell us we'd just been on camera, got a few texts too. I felt famous ha!!
A photographer came over to us and took photos of the sign and us singing along during closer. Don't know where those pictures will end up.

Fran told us that he was going introducing us to a few of the 'new kids' from the new album. WHICH WERE AMAZING! Cannot wait for the new album.
He told us that one of the songs reminds him of the Old Spice commercial with the surfing... and since Cois Fharraige is a surfing festival it was appropriate. He told us that when we get the album to turn up the song to a certain part where theres a choir going 'HAW HAW HAW'. This was hilarious, he kept going HAW HAW HAW. The lads were laughing at him too...

I'm not sure which song it was during but Andy..oh lord he is CRAZY. hopped onto the side of the stage and continued climbing up the scaffolding with the guitar...he got two thirds of the way up and played with one hand. Does he do that often? Cause he seemed pretty relaxed doing it. The crowd loved it. Dougie was laughing at him. Fran hopped onto the speakers infront of the stage and sang up to him.
Sing of course was brillant. You can only imagine how class they played all the songs. I just wish i had a photographic memory of every little detail.

Driftwood -WOW!

Fran introduced their swedish keyboardist - Claes and told us we had to put him under awful pressure cause he had a piano solo coming up in the next song. So he asked us to point and shout Claes Claes Claes which we did and he said something like..normally at this point i'd say you're not loud enough but you are. funny. He also made reference to any swedes in the audience and he saw a flag but i think the flag was actually from brazil. He went over to Krauss with the microphone and asked how he was feeling and told us about his myspace... It was all so funny.
Good feeling started then and Fran changed one line to I've got a good feeling.......when you come from sweden...

After that, Fran asked us to do a queen style clap like we will we will rock you. So we did, and he was amused and he said that he felt like Freddie Mercury, give me a little boy. Eruptions of laughter went up at this point. We had to do the clap for All i want to do is rock.. it was class, tiring tho. The stewards kept making us put our hands together. By the way, they were amazing craic. The stewards were dancing, swaying, waving, lifting our sign up towards the audience and the band. They were so sound. One of them said he was prob gonna be fired after the weekend of messing that he did but he didn't care.

As for turn, my favourite song of the whole concert. Dougie sang the second verse, which was shocking. Never heard of him doing that before. He is just.. amazing. Seen a whole new side to him after the weekend. At this stage i got a brainwave to write 'The Distance' on the sign. The cameraman got this on camera, had no idea he was filming me. Must have looked demented. But then the song was over and they were gone.. nearly DIED!

The crowd screamed for an encore and thank the lord jaysus they came back on.
Best encore ever, all 4 of them and Claes, arms around each other around Frans microphone (right infront of me - woop!) and Fran said they were gonna sing a song busking style. This is where I waved at Dougie to look at the sign, which he did and laughed *melts*.

Flowers in the window, class class class class. Dougie strummed the 2nd verse and Andy played the chords while Fran clapped his hands in the air. Neil was on the tamborine. Just class. Have a brillant video of that. Can't wait til my camera is fixed!!

Fran was in the spotlight for Slideshow, beautiful. Being honest i have a blank in memory here.. can't really remember blue flashing light...hopefully it'll come back to me. Must have fainted.. :-p
Last but not least, Why does it always rain on me. Fran made us do the world record pogo jump during the song...it was fun!
Fran gets down on his knees and mimes playing a violin...or chello..whichever.
The crowd were so loud for that song of course. Then it was all over. Best concert ever. Now this piece of rambling does no justice for the concert at all. I'm sure i've left out loads and loads.

Best was yet to come for me. After the concert we went across the road to the hotel and saw a van with closed curtains and i said it to the girls thats prob the van that travis were travelling on. We laughed about it and kept walking, next thing i see these fellas on a balcony, straight away i see dougie!!!! We were all shocked but we just waved and I think it was neil that waved back, it was dark and couldn't see too well. We left them alone, didn't want to invade their privacy (that much)

I said feck it i'd go up to their bus driver and was chatting to him for ages and he was sound telling us all the stories about meeting the different bands at the weekend. He said supergrass were funny lads. Met our old taxi driver a few minutes later and he told us he was bringing travis to the airport so we said we'd hang around to see if we could get pictures.
A while later, Fran was standing right beside me and it took me a few minutes to cop. I was like ..oh... Hi Fran, dya mind if i get a picture, he was lovely about it. He has really blue eyes!! He remembered us as the girls with the sign. Dougie was standing at the opposite side smiling away and I asked for a picture. He's so nice. I told him he should have sang the Distance and he said they hadn't played that in a while. I had to take pics for my friends too, ended up near Fran for most of the time we had with them. Gave him a hug and then Dougie said can i get one...made my night. I stupidly kinda almost NEARLY fell over his bag but he moved it. We said we'd go then. Just an amazing night. Their crew and family were on the bus with them. I'd say it was Frans child with them.

Best night ever. My camera won't allow me upload pictures, it says there is nothing on the memory card so my friend siobhan said she'd try sort it. I think i'll cry if i've lost all the pictures and videos.

Just remembered Dougie and his dancing. Deirdre and myself were laughing at him and imitating his swaying so he did it even more with an amused expression. His smile while chewing gum is just *melts* ... that good! Ladies you understand :-D

Wow i've rambled on. Sorry if its boring. I'm not great at the aul story telling.

shellymad
shellymad Posted Tue 09 Sep, 2008 2:55 PM Quote
tink ya summed it up maria!stil claim ya shud become a privet investigator!!to all the bumps and bruises twas worth it!!roll on nxt year!and bring back travis!!

MariaMak
MariaMak Posted Tue 09 Sep, 2008 3:02 PM Quote
SHELLY!!!!! :D

Welcome, I know i should be a private investigator haha
Dei rang me there a while ago. She's joining the site too. Thats funny that you're on here now.
Siobhan is gone with the memory card. If i've lost the pics i'll die!!

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 2:19 PM