Travis

Re: Ode To J. Smith - STOLEN!!!
TK23
TK23 Posted Mon 01 Sep, 2008 8:37 PM Quote
Ooh, good find! However, I don't really think I'd call it 'stealing' at all. I actually like the album art even more now, after seeing what may or may not have inspired it!

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Mon 01 Sep, 2008 9:12 PM Quote
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :)

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 01 Sep, 2008 9:16 PM Quote
Who did the Ode artwork? Could be the same person. Ya never know until you know. But yowza, very similar.

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Mon 01 Sep, 2008 9:38 PM Quote
Who cares! Its the same but different - The Eye is better much better and everything is some sort of a copy anyway as Nicki says .

Bet the Band dont even know ... but they wont care too much ...now if a musician copied theirs, well that might be different

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 01 Sep, 2008 11:08 PM Quote
Similar certainly. Interesting to get Fran's view on this. I still really like the artwork. Bit weird and maybe i'd prefer something a little more traditional Travis for the next album but change is good. :)

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 12:08 AM Quote
I have a solution.
Use this:

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/2233/odecopygb5.jpg

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/1986/wwwmessentoolscomthpyonwj1.gif

haha joking

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 12:08 AM Quote
double post

damon
damon Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 12:30 AM Quote
jesusaremus wrote:
I have a solution.
Use this:

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/2233/odecopygb5.jpg

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/1986/wwwmessentoolscomthpyonwj1.gif

haha joking

hahaha this is funny, because in mexico we have a phrase, "picar los ojos" (to stick a finger in your eye), and when someone's says thats is because someone's stealing or cheating ... jajaja that was really funny...

Bought
Fran
Fran Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 12:33 AM Quote
Actually we have licenced (bought) this image and the eye image from the artist who created them in the 70's. His name is Derek Birdsall and a very nice man and one of the greatest british graphic designers. We saw it. We loved it and instead of nicking it, we contacted Penguin, then the Dahl foundation, then penguins art department then the artist himself and bought the rights to use it.

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 12:35 AM Quote
hahahaha but this has a deeper sense XD i mean, than just "picarte los ojos" jajaja.
Yo siemore me pico los ojos en el trabajo XD y siempre uso es frase XD
EDIT: this was to damon :)

Re: Bought
jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 12:39 AM Quote
Fran wrote:
Actually we have licenced (bought) this image and the eye image from the artist who created them in the 70's. His name is Derek Birdsall and a very nice man and one of the greatest british graphic designers. We saw it. We loved it and instead of nicking it, we contacted Penguin, then the Dahl foundation, then penguins art department then the artist himself and bought the rights to use it.

mmm interesting. what's the meaning of the image? and apply with J smith, what would be?

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 1:00 AM Quote
Fran wrote:

Thanks for the response, Fran! :) As was said above, I like it even more now that I know where it came from.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 1:00 AM Quote
Fran wrote:

Thanks for the explanation Fran. :)

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 1:02 AM Quote
thanks Fran. Appreciated.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 1:03 AM Quote
Paul, Maybe you should change the title of this thread from stolen to bought. :P

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next All Times BST Current Time 2:28 PM