Travis

If 'Ode' had been released in 2003...
Hodgy
Hodgy Posted Tue 19 Aug, 2008 12:03 PM Quote
...instead of 12 memories, I think Travis would now be as big as Oasis. Discuss.....!

Re: If 'Ode' had been released in 2003...
Stepiper
Stepiper Posted Tue 19 Aug, 2008 12:12 PM Quote
I think this is really far from the truth.
12 memories is a top album. Ode will be so.

It makes no sense to say if they had realised this record 4 years ago now they would be big as Oasis. Otherwise, Oasis aren't big anymore. The new single is the same old song.

thehitcher
thehitcher Posted Tue 19 Aug, 2008 12:15 PM Quote
Hodgy wrote:
...instead of 12 memories, I think Travis would now be as big as Oasis. Discuss.....!

I disagree, that's not saying the new album isn't gonna be amazing, because from what I've heard it's gonna rock! I love 12 Memories it doesn't get the praise it deserves! It was a nice change of direction after The Invisible Band. Oasis play it safe, I like my bands to take risks and change direction I wouldn't change anything Travis have done, each album has been a perfect development

Ursina
Ursina Posted Tue 19 Aug, 2008 12:52 PM Quote
Hodgy wrote:

hmmmmm maybe, but to me this is meaningless cos I don't judge a band by their commercial sucess.
They did what was right for them, 12 Memories is a expression of the time, how they felt. I distinctly remember an angry and frustrated Fran (Irak etc).
It's interesting to follow Travis' history through their albums,I hope they take some even more interesting turns in the future. :)

Hodgy
Hodgy Posted Tue 19 Aug, 2008 1:04 PM Quote
The reason I brought this up is because it seems once a band has had 3 really big albums, then they seem to somehow be able to retain this status as a truly 'big' band forevermore, regardless of how good any subsequent albums are.

Look at Oasis, Blur & Coldplay they've all had 3 huge albums each and their status as massive bands that could headline festivals for years to come now seems assured forever, even though in later years(Oasis in particular) they haven't really brought anything to the table that is as good as their earlier stuff.

I just think that maybe if Travis had released something like Ode(Which I think will be a bit more commercial/radio friendly than 12 Memories) to follow up the Invisible Band, they may still be headlining things like Glastonbury & V Festival.

I know it's all 'what if's', and you can't change anything, and to be honest I really like 12 Memories as well, but I do sometimes wonder why Oasis still get offered headline slots when their last half decent album was in 1997, and Travis seem to be slipping down the festival pecking order despite putting on great shows.

thehitcher
thehitcher Posted Tue 19 Aug, 2008 1:44 PM Quote
Success shouldn't be based on how many albums you sell or how many festivals you headline. All that is nice when you hear your favourite band is selling well but at the end of the day it's about the music and the people who care about it, the fans! I just think the promo for the last couple of albums has been terrible and that's why Travis aren't as popular anymore! As long as they continue for the true fans that's the main thing i think :-D

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Tue 19 Aug, 2008 2:09 PM Quote
The thing is that Ode couldn't have been released five years ago because at that time and in that situation they had to make 12 Memories. Now that they've rediscovered their inner rock Ode is the product :D

Ursina
Ursina Posted Tue 19 Aug, 2008 2:10 PM Quote
Hodgy wrote:

......... even though in later years(Oasis in particular) they haven't really brought anything to the table that is as good as their earlier stuff.

With regard to Oasis maybe being 'big mouthed' helps ? :D

I don't feel sorry for Travis, I get the feeling they quite enjoy it where they are now.

paul_c
paul_c Posted Tue 19 Aug, 2008 6:15 PM Quote
Can't possibly comment. I haven't heard 'Ode' yet

Although, i think another reason why Travis didn't remain "huge" was because of the time out after Neil's injury. So you just can't compare the two albums like for like in my eyes

melissa
melissa Posted Tue 19 Aug, 2008 10:13 PM Quote
I think travis is big and a great band and 12 memories is a beautiful album!!!
so in 2003 ............ 12 memories
this year
ode to j smith!

everyday_face
everyday_face Posted Tue 19 Aug, 2008 11:41 PM Quote
Wow. So many different strands to this conversation! I'll try and chip in...

I think you have a point, but my personal feelings are that they 'key' album in terms of becoming mega or dropping down a bit, wasn't 12 Memories, but The Invisible Band.

There's not a Travis album I dislike, but personally I believe TIB is the weakest. I think a lot of albums benefit (or the opposite) from the album that preceded it. For example, and as Oasis has been mentioned so much, 'Be Here Now' was a HUGE album. It had heaps of promotions, (at the time) lots of positive reviews and hype, and sold bucket loads (if I remember right, it was released on a Thursday, and still went to #1)...but not because it was an amazing album. It had just as much to do with Definitely Maybe and What's The Story...

I think TIB was a 'big' album (charts/sales) *partly* because of this, and its success had a lot to do with TMW. Although we all love GF, you can kinda discount that, cos let's be honest, there are still people who are probably unaware that that album exists. That's something which Oasis and Coldplay didn't have to deal with too, as both their debuts were big hits.

Am I waffling? Anyways, my own feelings are that TIB is a tad too slick and over produced. I think at times it just sounds a bit too sweet. Maybe that's where the whole negativity in the press about Travis' sentimental sound n all that started? But I think it's fair to say, that the non album tracks on TIB are not really near the strength on TMW, and the albums sound as a whole isn't a huge departure from TMW (not a problem to me, but maybe to others?)

The album was pretty much guaranteed to go in at number 1 off the back of TMW, and equally the first single (I think Sing is actually their biggest hit worldwide)would do well, but if you look at the other singles, you can see the very first sign of Travis' decrease in popularity (purely using chart positions as a guide). From More Than Us to Sing, chart positioning kept going higher, but Side was the first sign to me that the album had had an immediate impact but not neccesarily a long lasting one. I'm not sure if Neil's injury had too much of a bearing on 12 Memories success cos they were still able to maintain the album every 18 months rate going, but the delay between 12 Memories and TBWNN certainly didn't help things (maybe that's the break you meant?). And some pretty awful promotional moves with the last two albums didn't help much either (Releasing The Beautiful Occupation in the week of the Christmas #1, anyone?)

Personally, I prefer 12 Memories to TBWNN and TIB. These are just my own thoughts, but to be honest, I don't really care! If its #1 or #40, the songs still become mine and that's all that's important to me. They have been my favourite band for over 10 years now and have always given me enough great songs, shows, and b-sides to keep me coming back for more, and I'm really excited to hear Ode to J. Smith after the few tracks I've heard. Of course it's a shame that they are often portrayed in a negative light (especially when you know its often said just becuase "that's what's said", rather than people checking it out for themselves), but that's showbusiness!

So yeah, what is meant to be is meant to be. Every album is born of and for that time, but they become ours forever. And if those tunes mean something to you, then you shouldn't worry about how big or small the band are.

x

PS: And for the Oasis bashers, I don't think you should underestimate how big an impact they had in the mid to late 90's. They were HUGE, regardless of whether you think they are good or bad, and probably responsbile in some way or other for many of today's bands picking up guitars for the first time. And they gave Travis a big help with the tour support slot in '97 (I went to see Oasis, came out talking of Travis, rest is history!) that got them exposed to a lot more people than just myself. Personally, I kinda stopped listening roundabout SONTSOG, but I think "Don't Believe the Truth" is pretty good.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Tue 19 Aug, 2008 11:48 PM Quote
I see what you're getting at here, but its just too difficult to say at this stage. I think a lot of people recently have a tendency to talk about Ode as if it's already been released. We've not even heard the album yet, let alone know how its going to be received commercially. It could do worse than 12 Memories, even though I hope it'll do much better.

Give Travis credit though - they're not exactly a failed band. Their albums, save for their debut, have always got into the top 5 (plus the J. Smith EP topped the indie charts), and they get airplay consistently enough.

Bryn
Bryn Posted Wed 20 Aug, 2008 12:25 AM Quote
Ursina wrote:
Hodgy wrote:

hmmmmm maybe, but to me this is meaningless cos I don't judge a band by their commercial sucess.
They did what was right for them, 12 Memories is a expression of the time, how they felt. I distinctly remember an angry and frustrated Fran (Irak etc).
It's interesting to follow Travis' history through their albums,I hope they take some even more interesting turns in the future. :)

Yeah, I agree that you can't really say "what if", because each record is a product of what happened around it, and Ode had different things influencing it than 12 Memories.

RaZzZ
RaZzZ Posted Wed 20 Aug, 2008 2:17 AM Quote
everyday_face wrote:
Wow. So many different strands to this conversation! I'll try and chip in...

I think you have a point, but my personal feelings are that they 'key' album in terms of becoming mega or dropping down a bit, wasn't 12 Memories, but The Invisible Band.

There's not a Travis album I dislike, but personally I believe TIB is the weakest. I think a lot of albums benefit (or the opposite) from the album that preceded it. For example, and as Oasis has been mentioned so much, 'Be Here Now' was a HUGE album. It had heaps of promotions, (at the time) lots of positive reviews and hype, and sold bucket loads (if I remember right, it was released on a Thursday, and still went to #1)...but not because it was an amazing album. It had just as much to do with Definitely Maybe and What's The Story...

I think TIB was a 'big' album (charts/sales) *partly* because of this, and its success had a lot to do with TMW. Although we all love GF, you can kinda discount that, cos let's be honest, there are still people who are probably unaware that that album exists. That's something which Oasis and Coldplay didn't have to deal with too, as both their debuts were big hits.

Am I waffling? Anyways, my own feelings are that TIB is a tad too slick and over produced. I think at times it just sounds a bit too sweet. Maybe that's where the whole negativity in the press about Travis' sentimental sound n all that started? But I think it's fair to say, that the non album tracks on TIB are not really near the strength on TMW, and the albums sound as a whole isn't a huge departure from TMW (not a problem to me, but maybe to others?)

The album was pretty much guaranteed to go in at number 1 off the back of TMW, and equally the first single (I think Sing is actually their biggest hit worldwide)would do well, but if you look at the other singles, you can see the very first sign of Travis' decrease in popularity (purely using chart positions as a guide). From More Than Us to Sing, chart positioning kept going higher, but Side was the first sign to me that the album had had an immediate impact but not neccesarily a long lasting one. I'm not sure if Neil's injury had too much of a bearing on 12 Memories success cos they were still able to maintain the album every 18 months rate going, but the delay between 12 Memories and TBWNN certainly didn't help things (maybe that's the break you meant?). And some pretty awful promotional moves with the last two albums didn't help much either (Releasing The Beautiful Occupation in the week of the Christmas #1, anyone?)

Personally, I prefer 12 Memories to TBWNN and TIB. These are just my own thoughts, but to be honest, I don't really care! If its #1 or #40, the songs still become mine and that's all that's important to me. They have been my favourite band for over 10 years now and have always given me enough great songs, shows, and b-sides to keep me coming back for more, and I'm really excited to hear Ode to J. Smith after the few tracks I've heard. Of course it's a shame that they are often portrayed in a negative light (especially when you know its often said just becuase "that's what's said", rather than people checking it out for themselves), but that's showbusiness!

So yeah, what is meant to be is meant to be. Every album is born of and for that time, but they become ours forever. And if those tunes mean something to you, then you shouldn't worry about how big or small the band are.

x

PS: And for the Oasis bashers, I don't think you should underestimate how big an impact they had in the mid to late 90's. They were HUGE, regardless of whether you think they are good or bad, and probably responsbile in some way or other for many of today's bands picking up guitars for the first time. And they gave Travis a big help with the tour support slot in '97 (I went to see Oasis, came out talking of Travis, rest is history!) that got them exposed to a lot more people than just myself. Personally, I kinda stopped listening roundabout SONTSOG, but I think "Don't Believe the Truth" is pretty good.

Completly agree and i support you.
If Ode to J Smith had been released in that time, maybe Travis wouldnt that today is.

Safe Side
Safe Side Posted Wed 20 Aug, 2008 10:14 AM Quote
If Travis had became as big as Oasis back in 2003, they wouldnt have made Ode we would be gettin safe albums like TBWNN FACT! Ode is the sound of a band without a major label and commercial expectaions weighing on them.... its weird how i want travis to be huge again but at the same time i like where there path has taken them, they are all rich enough now that they can do what they want they are free musically to be who they want and its great gettin to see them in smaller venues and talk to them after gigs.

To be fair 12 memories had every chance it got to number 2 only because didos album was out same week (bad planning) and i remeber the full album was played on Radio 1 (cant even get singles played on radio 1 these days). The Problem was the lack of "singles" and the failure to put out the "single" songs eg somwhere else, Love Will come through (came out way to late) and as mentioned before who the hell decided to relase the beautifull occupation in christmas no 1 week it didnt even make it to all the shops cause theres so much crap on that week. With a little more planning 12 memories could have been a hit album but it just wasnt

and bashing Oasis isnt gettin us anywhere without Oasis there would be no Travis today im pretty sure of that....and if anyone doubts how huge they are i spent ages tryin to get a ticket for the UK arena tour today sold out in seconds. I love travis and they are my faviourite band but they will never have the effect Oasis had in the early 90s

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 1:14 PM