Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Tue 12 Aug, 2008 10:03 PM Quote
All this random friend adding is a bit artificial don't you think. :P

Re: I need more friends!
spid
spid Posted Tue 12 Aug, 2008 10:11 PM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:

Possibly, but I know all these people from here so it isn't really random and it is nice to get to know people better. There is no compunction to add or be added - if you don't want to then you don't want to - no hassle, no grief, no add. (shrugs shoulders)

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Tue 12 Aug, 2008 10:25 PM Quote
spid wrote:

Possibly, but I know all these people from here so it isn't really random and it is nice to get to know people better. There is no compunction to add or be added - if you don't want to then you don't want to - no hassle, no grief, no add. (shrugs shoulders)

Yeah by all means, I'm not telling people not to add you. Just funny really how things like facebook and myspace are changing the definition of friends. Wonder how long it'll take before the dictionary changes from:

Friend
noun
a person whom one knows and with whom one has a bond of mutual affection, typically exclusive of sexual or family relations.

to

Friend
noun
an internet user, usually on a social networking website, whom one has 'added' to make oneself appear 'well popular'.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x66/Jearoon2/Smilies/4-Wink.gif

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Tue 12 Aug, 2008 10:28 PM Quote
spid wrote:

Yeah by all means, I'm not telling people not to add you. Just funny really how things like facebook and myspace are changing the definition of friends. Wonder how long it'll take before the dictionary changes from:

Friend
noun
a person whom one knows and with whom one has a bond of mutual affection, typically exclusive of sexual or family relations.

to

Friend
noun
an internet user, usually on a social networking website, whom one has 'added' to make oneself appear 'well popular'.

Aye, this is why I have deleted internet folk off my facebook. Also, out of all the social networking sites, facebook is the most personal and I therefore feel uncomfortable when I have people I don't actually know on my friends list.

spid
spid Posted Tue 12 Aug, 2008 10:31 PM Quote
spid wrote:

Friend
noun

to

Friend
noun

And yet funnily this has just put me back in contact with an old friend form primary school 30 years ago. I agree with all you say - and yet I do feel affection towards those on here I know and I have been known to jump in andefend people when beng attacked (not something I would do for everyone.) and yes, I want to look popular, and yes I want a pretty friends wheel (it looks colourful and mathematical all at the same time - aaaahhhh) and it's all a bit of fun. The internet has saved me from death by boredom and lack of friends (I move every 2 years) and is a great way of making transcontinental friends too.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Tue 12 Aug, 2008 10:38 PM Quote
spid wrote:

And yet funnily this has just put me back in contact with an old friend form primary school 30 years ago. I agree with all you say - and yet I do feel affection towards those on here I know and I have been known to jump in andefend people when beng attacked (not something I would do for everyone.) and yes, I want to look popular, and yes I want a pretty friends wheel (it looks colourful and mathematical all at the same time - aaaahhhh) and it's all a bit of fun. The internet has saved me from death by boredom and lack of friends (I move every 2 years) and is a great way of making transcontinental friends too.

Yup, sites like these are entertainment at the end of the day, use it how you want to. Just making an observation that's all. I use facebook a lot and it's certainly useful for getting back in touch with old friends etc.

kim2007w
kim2007w Posted Tue 12 Aug, 2008 10:41 PM Quote
if you are on line, yes its me and i'll be your friend,

spid
spid Posted Wed 13 Aug, 2008 10:05 AM Quote
to those who have taken an interest thankyou!

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] All Times BST Current Time 9:13 AM