Travis

Re: Olympic opening ceremony
minnmess
minnmess Posted Sat 09 Aug, 2008 5:59 AM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:
Dag nabbit, no alphabetical order in march of the nations this year because... there's no alphabet.

Slightly confusing, but oh well.

ya, the commentators were like "the order is based on the chinese alphabet. which doesnt exist. so, you might be confused." i was.

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Sat 09 Aug, 2008 6:07 AM Quote
They went by the number of strokes in the characters that represent the countries.

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Sat 09 Aug, 2008 9:34 AM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:
Ralph Lauren designed USA's outfits. They look... alright

Watching it right now, they just finished the part with the 2008 drummers and it looked badass.

When i looked at the american team's outfit i said it looked very Polo RL.
Glad one of my ex-employer did something this nice.

daytimeoyster
daytimeoyster Posted Sat 09 Aug, 2008 12:12 PM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:
They went by the number of strokes in the characters that represent the countries.

exactly

Peewee
Peewee Posted Sat 09 Aug, 2008 12:20 PM Quote
Yes the ceremony was amazing! I have to give it that. But when the so many different ethnic groups came out to do their dance...was tibet represented? Just wondering since China have taken over their bloody country, do they consider this one of their ethnic groups?

Maybe someone knows more on all the the ethnic groups that make up china, I would be interested!

spid
spid Posted Sat 09 Aug, 2008 2:01 PM Quote
daytimeoyster wrote:
SPORTS SHOULD NOT BE RELATED TO POLITICS

Not possible I'm afraid - look at the English cricket team and not playing in Nigeria - sometimes sport gets political because the people who partake are political humans too. Forcing someone to play when their beliefs oppose it is just as bad. It is a very contentious issue not without it's perils and we all have different views (and yes Dubz a lot of it is media fed and no political system is corruption free) but we should all be free to express them in a way that encourages discussion and engagement with a subject but is not outrightly offensive.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 09 Aug, 2008 2:27 PM Quote
spid wrote:
daytimeoyster wrote:
SPORTS SHOULD NOT BE RELATED TO POLITICS

Not possible I'm afraid - look at the English cricket team and not playing in Nigeria - sometimes sport gets political because the people who partake are political humans too. Forcing someone to play when their beliefs oppose it is just as bad. It is a very contentious issue not without it's perils and we all have different views (and yes Dubz a lot of it is media fed and no political system is corruption free) but we should all be free to express them in a way that encourages discussion and engagement with a subject but is not outrightly offensive.

I would agree to a certain extent but most of these fuckers couldn't give a sh!t about Tibet. Look at all these students who spend their educational time rebelling against all this stuff and going on about Anarchy and Communism before joining Daddy's firm as a highly paid accoountant, lawyer, doctor, architect etc.

This sort of shite happens all over the world but because at the moment the Tibetan situation is fashionable we have all these fucking ill informed bandwagon jumpers, telling me how fucking horrible it is, How the fuck do they know ? Have they been there ? Are they Tibetan ? Do they understand the history/culture ?

I am not saying it should be ignored but rather put into perspective and people should be properly informed as to what is happening.

The same thing happened over here with the Lisbon treaty, the only reason it was voted against is because Sinn Fein and a few others ran around teling people it would lessen their power in Europe and that Brussels would make decisions that would govern Ireland. BOLLOCKS !!!, Ireland has a constitution which means every Irish citizen has constituational rights, which in turn means they are self governing, nothing is above the constitution. bt for contrast the Yes campaign was just as bad, Should we vote yes? why ? eh, because..... we say so.

People please don't believe everything you are told, question it, research it and most of all just because someone you respect told you, doesn't make it so. Unless you want to look a complete fool, always be prepared to back up your statements should you need to with a well informed arguement.

Dubz

btw that said, Coldplay are still Sh!t and McCartney is still a w*nker ;-p

spid
spid Posted Sat 09 Aug, 2008 6:26 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

LOL - you're a cracker Dubz!

Monica
Monica Posted Sat 09 Aug, 2008 6:56 PM Quote
Look at the Spanish!!! Loved the colours :p

sonja
sonja Posted Sat 09 Aug, 2008 7:21 PM Quote
Monica wrote:

yeah,their outfit was really great! :9)

pixiedixie
pixiedixie Posted Sat 09 Aug, 2008 8:49 PM Quote
Monica wrote:

LOL! Seriously Moni??

On the other hand, I like the fact that David Cal was the one to carry the flag, not Nadal or Gasol etc...
Gervasio Deferr would have been cool too...

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Sat 09 Aug, 2008 11:46 PM Quote
Monica wrote:

Where was Juan "Por que no te callas" Carlos ?

I only saw Felipe and Letizia.

VERY DISAPOINTED.

PS : I didn't see Hugo Chavez either !
LOL

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Sun 10 Aug, 2008 12:20 AM Quote
I liked seeing Nadal, he's dead cute. I am a bit confused though, isn't the Olympics for like, non-professionals? He's a pro tennis player isn't he?

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Sun 10 Aug, 2008 12:33 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

and I am still drunk! lol

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sun 10 Aug, 2008 4:45 AM Quote
fenchurch wrote:
I liked seeing Nadal, he's dead cute. I am a bit confused though, isn't the Olympics for like, non-professionals? He's a pro tennis player isn't he?

some professional associates and the Olympics make agreements so that pros can play. Soccer/football, tennis, basketball, baseball, hockey in the winter.
I mean its only fair. In some sports, when you get to the highest level you are a professional

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:51 AM