Nikki Posted Tue 05 Aug, 2008 10:09 PM Quote
paul_c wrote:
Nikki wrote:
minnmess wrote:
Nikki wrote:
heich wrote:
i dont know what to say about it

its not that i dislike it, but i didnt expect something like this lol

who designed this? Fran? im a little confused right now, i dont remember if he said he only designed the artwork for J Smith, or if he made some other designs

Yeah...I was wondering who designed it as well.

I like that the eye is pink. It shows that J. Smith is kind of disturbed and probably doesn’t get much sleep. The design of the eye is really simple, but if you sit there and stare at it, it’s actually pretty expressive. Like Kayte said, a window to his soul. Hm...I probably would have liked the band to be on the cover more, but I'm starting to understand this more now and I dig it. :)

and it probably wouldnt have made sense to have a pic of the band when the album is J Smith...one individual person.

Well, it's the band's Ode TO that person...but yeah, I get what you're saying. It's really cool. I am super excited to see the "Something Anything" video now!!!

Isn't 'J. Smith' just a metaphor for society since John Smith is the most popular name?

Or did we abandon that concept album idea?

Yeah, I think he's a metaphor to symbolize the common man, but that doesn't mean we can't create a vision or a representation of what we think that person could look like...or in this case what his heart and his eye look like. His heart has holes in it and his eye is pink. He is suffering or really torn in my mind.

Wow...maybe I'm getting to deep into it, but I LOVE this kind of thing. :)

Re: The new album cover
bogusblue
bogusblue Posted Tue 05 Aug, 2008 10:26 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
His heart has holes in it and his eye is pink. He is suffering or really torn in my mind.

Yeah, that's what I think too. When I saw the Something Anything artwork I thought of a face having pain or suffering, cause yeah, it looks like a heart (and it is actually one) but if you see the hole that is down on the left side it looks like a deformed mouth (at least for me it does) simmilar to the one people do when they are in agony or pain... Maybe I'm just making a whole deal out of nothing... Sorry if you can't see anything of what I do! xD

Bryn
Bryn Posted Tue 05 Aug, 2008 10:54 PM Quote
Here's another idea that may be reading too much into it:) , but it occurred to me when looking at both covers together. If you look at the white dot in the eye on the album cover and then you look at the smaller hole in the heart on Something Anything, they are in the exact same position, and if you put it on a clock, that position would be 11:00. Or 10,but it works better with 11,because it could mean that they're on the verge of a new day, but it's not at midnight yet because there is still more to come, and they are still growing. What do you think?

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Tue 05 Aug, 2008 11:13 PM Quote
Bryn wrote:
Here's another idea that may be reading too much into it:) , but it occurred to me when looking at both covers together. If you look at the white dot in the eye on the album cover and then you look at the smaller hole in the heart on Something Anything, they are in the exact same position, and if you put it on a clock, that position would be 11:00. Or 10,but it works better with 11,because it could mean that they're on the verge of a new day, but it's not at midnight yet because there is still more to come, and they are still growing. What do you think?

White coat?

Bryn
Bryn Posted Tue 05 Aug, 2008 11:22 PM Quote
Somewhere Else wrote:
Bryn wrote:

White coat?

Sorry, I maybe didn't say that well. The white dot in the eye, you know, where the light is reflecting in the black circle of the eye.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 05 Aug, 2008 11:48 PM Quote
Bryn wrote:
Somewhere Else wrote:
Bryn wrote:

White coat?

Sorry, I maybe didn't say that well. The white dot in the eye, you know, where the light is reflecting in the black circle of the eye.

the light source is coming from the upper left , like she said it's about at the 11 o clock position

sandra9747
sandra9747 Posted Wed 06 Aug, 2008 12:41 AM Quote
maybe the eye symbolises a closer look through someone's eyes at this j.smith person... anyway it's a nice cover, i like it :)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 06 Aug, 2008 12:48 AM Quote
I think it symbolises...

an eye. ;)

Bryn
Bryn Posted Wed 06 Aug, 2008 1:11 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
I think it symbolises...

an eye. ;)

LOL, hmmm... but aren't all of our theories brilliant? I was feeling quite clever;)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 06 Aug, 2008 1:13 AM Quote
Well done! And you're very clever indeed. I just see an eye. :) Maybe Fran will hint at something.

Bryn
Bryn Posted Wed 06 Aug, 2008 1:29 AM Quote
Thanks:) You may well be right, because he clarified the Something Anything cover as "a heart". But maybe there is more to come on meanings...!

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 06 Aug, 2008 1:45 AM Quote
Absolutely. We'll have to wait and see. Totally different style though aren't they. Strange.

thehitcher
thehitcher Posted Wed 06 Aug, 2008 2:22 AM Quote
i quite like the artwork acutally. i think it's a nice change.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Wed 06 Aug, 2008 3:00 AM Quote
I don't know if I like it or not. It's quite disturbing, I like that. It's absolutely different... not so sure about that. I mean, it's an attractive cover. If you see it in a record store you'll pick it up, it'll catch your eye. But it doesn't relate to Travis at all. And that makes me a little sad haha.
I really love Travis' past covers. Those were creative and original photos with the band in them. They weren't typical album covers with the band in them. I love that, and I kind of miss it here. I understand the band is in a new stage, so it makes sense that they've changed the style of the cover. But I modestly think it should have some kind of connection with "old Travis artwork", considering that it's the same band. Maybe if it had the classic Travis font it'd be different, but I agree with Ric, it wouldn't fit the design... So I don't know haha.

So, summing up: I like it but I can't relate it to Travis. Maybe it's what they're looking for, but I don't feel comfortable with that haha.
And I don't understand why it's an eye :oP

Anyway, if the songs we've heard off the album are anything to go by, Ode To J. Smith can be Travis' best album so far, no matter what its cover looks like. So I'm fine with it :o)

Nikki
Nikki Posted Wed 06 Aug, 2008 3:05 AM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
I don't know if I like it or not. It's quite disturbing, I like that. It's absolutely different... not so sure about that. I mean, it's an attractive cover. If you see it in a record store you'll pick it up, it'll catch your eye. But it doesn't relate to Travis at all. And that makes me a little sad haha.
I really love Travis' past covers. Those were creative and original photos with the band in them. They weren't typical album covers with the band in them. I love that, and I kind of miss it here. I understand the band is in a new stage, so it makes sense that they've changed the style of the cover. But I modestly think it should have some kind of connection with "old Travis artwork", considering that it's the same band. Maybe if it had the classic Travis font it'd be different, but I agree with Ric, it wouldn't fit the design... So I don't know haha.

So, summing up: I like it but I can't relate it to Travis. Maybe it's what they're looking for, but I don't feel comfortable with that haha.
And I don't understand why it's an eye :oP

Anyway, if the songs we've heard off the album are anything to go by, Ode To J. Smith can be Travis' best album so far, no matter what its cover looks like. So I'm fine with it :o)

I'm totally with you, Juli. It's like.."I like it...but!" haha. I really do wish the band was on the cover. Even if they were tiny like the past covers. Oh well. New direction. It's cool and creative! Maybe we'll get that Travis conncetion when we open it up and see pictures of the guys inside! They did do a photo shoot in France, so it's possible. :) And of course, the music will, as Anne put it best, "Rock our faces" and will tie everything together I'm sure!

Pages Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:06 PM