Travis

Re: Fitba 'n' Stuff
Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Wed 14 May, 2008 10:47 PM Quote
I was just watching the news, the Rangers fans are fighting eachother and a Russian fan has been stabbed.

Shameful.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 15 May, 2008 7:18 AM Quote
Just playing Devil's advocate.

Honestly, would Celtic fans would have behaved any better ? there were riots in O'Connell Street a few years back, when they WON the league.

Was it a Rangers fan, a Manc or another Russian who stabbed the Russian ?

The Scots were once known as the worst fans in the world for trouble when travelling, however, it was usually for having running battles with each other rather than the opposition. It's an old Scottish Trait, most of these fans are glory hunters and have stopped supporting the national team "because they're shite", they now consider themselves Irish(Celtic) or British(Rangers).

My feelings on this are pretty clear, you wanna be Irish... fuck off to Ireland then, You wanna be British... fuck off to England then. The term supporter means just that you support your team through the good and the bad no matter what, Fans will switch allegiance as soon as the going gets tough.

I feel a bit of pity for fans as they know what it's like to win several cups/titles etc... It's expected with the bigger teams. However if you support a Motherwell, Kilmarnock, St Mirren or whatever you will never know the special feeling you get when you win something. Paisley basically shut down for the day when we won the Scottish Cup in '87.

Rant over

Dubz

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Thu 15 May, 2008 8:31 AM Quote
Whoever it is rioting, it's still a shameful thing. Getting passionate and angry is one thing, but to fight people over it is another. There's no need for that sorta violence.

Helen *the original*
Helen *the original* Posted Thu 15 May, 2008 8:32 AM Quote
Here's the news article

All kicked off because of the screen! These things happen, fair enough that you've been stood there all day and i'd be pretty pissed off but i wouldn't just start kicking off. They provided transport to go to a different screening of it which should have pleased some but fancy blaming the city. They didn't have to bother with screens at all!

The stabbing bit is shocking, in his seat before the game even started..what is it coming to?!

Moray
Moray Posted Thu 15 May, 2008 8:57 AM Quote
To be fair Dubz, Cellic made it all the way to the UEFA cup final in what, 2002, and they travelled to Seville in as many numbers. Not one arrest, were praised by the city for their behaviour and attitude and subsequently won a fair play award.

Similarly for the Tartan Army - Worlds friendliest fans at France '98 world cup.

So we're not that bad. Maybe in the 70's we were, but the Scots fans have a good reputation for travelling support now. It annoys me when I see that damaged. Most of the Tartan Army are east coasters anyway. Very few from Glasgow.

On another note, while I was typing this, Tommy Burns passed away. So young as well. Absolute shame.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 15 May, 2008 10:44 AM Quote
Moray wrote:
To be fair Dubz, Cellic made it all the way to the UEFA cup final in what, 2002, and they travelled to Seville in as many numbers. Not one arrest, were praised by the city for their behaviour and attitude and subsequently won a fair play award.

Similarly for the Tartan Army - Worlds friendliest fans at France '98 world cup.

So we're not that bad. Maybe in the 70's we were, but the Scots fans have a good reputation for travelling support now. It annoys me when I see that damaged. Most of the Tartan Army are east coasters anyway. Very few from Glasgow.

On another note, while I was typing this, Tommy Burns passed away. So young as well. Absolute shame.

Again could this be the Celtic fans behaving to show up their rivals?? Let's face it's partly the only reason Scotland fans behave is because the English were so bad for a while.

Tartan Army is mainly and east coast thing these days, Mind you I do remember the days when Hibs used to visit Love Street, rough!!, Mopst of the old firm fans are glory hunters and as such will not support their own country, preferring Ireland or England. Good Riddance I say.

Sad news indeed of... eh... Tommy Burns. R.I.P.

Dubz

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Thu 15 May, 2008 11:22 AM Quote
Oh well its not all bad news. At least they lost.

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Thu 15 May, 2008 11:30 AM Quote
Helen *the original* wrote:
Here's the news article

All kicked off because of the screen! These things happen, fair enough that you've been stood there all day and i'd be pretty pissed off but i wouldn't just start kicking off. They provided transport to go to a different screening of it which should have pleased some but fancy blaming the city. They didn't have to bother with screens at all!

The stabbing bit is shocking, in his seat before the game even started..what is it coming to?!

You are right, Manchester had no obligation to lay on anything for those who dont have tickets.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 15 May, 2008 11:49 AM Quote
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) wrote:
Oh well its not all bad news. At least they lost.

I actually wanted them to win before a ball was kicked (for the good of Scottish Football) but after about 5 mins I have never wanted to see a team being beaten into submission with a severe thrashing so much in my life.

Dubz

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Thu 15 May, 2008 11:53 AM Quote
Nah , i absolutely despise them. Scottish or not.

Peculiar
Peculiar Posted Thu 15 May, 2008 12:11 PM Quote
I was also glad they lost after that performance they never should have won. It's the freakin' uefa cup final! why didn't they get more than one striker on and put on a show instead of defending!!!

monkey
monkey Posted Thu 15 May, 2008 5:46 PM Quote
Peculiar wrote:
It's the freakin' uefa cup final! why didn't they get more than one striker on and put on a show instead of defending!!!

because they got to the final with a 4-5-1 formation and didn't want to change what was "working" for them. i can see your point about a second striker, even if they had played someone in behind Darchville or had a more attacking minded player on the left that might have made a difference. when your game plan consists of not conceading a goal in the first 70minutes you deserve to get beat

edit - r.i.p Tommy Burns

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Thu 15 May, 2008 5:50 PM Quote
R.I.P. Tommy Burns.

Peculiar
Peculiar Posted Thu 15 May, 2008 6:03 PM Quote
Just watching the news these rangers fans truely are scotlands shame.

And I was very sorry to hear about Tommy Burns as well. It seems like he was a true gentleman and was a great servant to Celtic Football club.

monkey
monkey Posted Fri 16 May, 2008 3:20 AM Quote
with both the sadness and disgrace surrounding football the last few days i thought i'd cheer this topic up a bit

After a season shadowing a star footballer, a lucky boot boy might find himself the recipient of some souvenir kit. Or maybe even a pair of the player's old boots.

James McPike got a Mercedes. The football trainee, who had been assigned to Birmingham City midfielder Olivier Kapo, was stunned when he was thrown the keys of the £30,000 car and told to keep it.

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/05_04/bootboyDM1305_468x763.jpg

James's first thought was that Kapo was joking. He told him he would struggle to afford the insurance for such an expensive car.

So the French international drove the disbelieving 20-year-old to his home, handed him the spare keys and log book, and then insisted on paying for a year's insurance.

It is believed to be the biggest gift ever given to a boot boy, a type of "football apprentice" who learns the ropes from a senior player and is meant to help out in return.

Looking after the boots used to be a big part of the job, although the role is a little less defined these days. A club source said James, who signed a professional contract with Birmingham City on his 17th birthday, had asked Kapo for a pair of boots to mark the end of the season.

"He was obviously disappointed when Kapo replied he had taken them home with him," the source said. "He perked up considerably when he was tossed a set of keys."

Kapo, 27, who is on a £1.5million-a-year contract at the recently relegated club, is said to have bought the Mercedes as a "run around" when he arrived in Birmingham last year. He also has a Porsche and a Hummer.

Although top players command multi-million pound salaries, apprentice players are still relatively lowly paid. James is thought to be on about £300 a week.

Birmingham City manager Alex McLeish said he learned of Kapo's generosity only when he saw James driving the Mercedes out of the training ground yesterday.

"It was a magnificent gesture and one that's entirely in keeping with Kapo's character," he said.

"He's been in Italy with Juventus, one of the biggest clubs in the world, but he clearly has not forgotten the time when he was an aspiring professional himself, hoping to go on to bigger and better things.

"As he was in such a generous mood, I asked him what he had done with the house he had left behind in Turin. Unfortunately, he smiled and said he wanted to keep hold of that."

Pages Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Times BST Current Time 7:59 PM