Travis

Re: About next month's setlist
bobsandbag
bobsandbag Posted Wed 09 Jan, 2008 7:51 PM Quote
When he normally does it, he plays a few new songs that may be on the album, I heard Closer a year before it was on the album when he played it in Liverpool.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 12:20 AM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:
Esteban wrote:
Here's hoping they have a change of heart. Don't get me wrong, I'll be more than glad to see them, but ten songs seems awfully short, if that's what it's planned to be. I don't think I've ever seen them play less than 20 songs.

I think it's a silly idea. Glad i'm not going now then. New songs yes, but you have to mix it up a bit with classics to keep up the atmosphere.

Have to say I agree, but if that's what they want, I wouldn't want to stop them. It's their band, and they haven't done too badly so far!

They've done very well so far! :) Musically they have, and as people too because they all seem like gentleman. Would question some of their (or the record company's of course) decisions in promoting The Boy With No Name. If they want success, and i don't mind if they do or they don't, they need to do a better job promoting album 6.

I'm not having a go, it's just what i think. I never once saw an advert for the album on TV. Maybe others have. They certainly didn't appear on many TV shows to push the singles (and therefore the album and the band).

If they want to be a smaller band, then cool, i'm all for it. But if not, then they need to push harder.

paul_c
paul_c Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 12:24 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:
Esteban wrote:
Here's hoping they have a change of heart. Don't get me wrong, I'll be more than glad to see them, but ten songs seems awfully short, if that's what it's planned to be. I don't think I've ever seen them play less than 20 songs.

I think it's a silly idea. Glad i'm not going now then. New songs yes, but you have to mix it up a bit with classics to keep up the atmosphere.

Have to say I agree, but if that's what they want, I wouldn't want to stop them. It's their band, and they haven't done too badly so far!

They've done very well so far! :) Musically they have, and as people too because they all seem like gentleman. Would question some of their (or the record company's of course) decisions in promoting The Boy With No Name. If they want success, and i don't mind if they do or they don't, they need to do a better job promoting album 6.

I'm not having a go, it's just what i think. I never once saw an advert for the album on TV. Maybe others have. They certainly didn't appear on many TV shows to push the singles (and therefore the album and the band).

If they want to be a smaller band, then cool, i'm all for it. But if not, then they need to push harder.

They're playing club shows. Does that not go some way to suggesting how big they're aiming these days??

They know where their fans are, and they know how many are there, and i honestly think they're happy with that now.

That is of course unless they've gone full circle (edgier album, working with Steve Lilywhite (?) again- debut album number 2?) and their 7th album is going to be like The Man Who again and bring them into the superleague..

Who cares, really? I couldn't care less if they're playing Wembley Stadium or tiny venues- i'll still be a fan, whatever they do. And i know i'm not alone

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 12:25 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:

It depends on where you look at it. They came to South America for the first time in ten years, that doesn't fit in the "small band profile".

My english was horrible there, I hope you can understand what I meant.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 12:35 AM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

It depends on where you look at it. They came to South America for the first time in ten years, that doesn't fit in the "small band profile".

My english was horrible there, I hope you can understand what I meant.

Your English was fine. :) Yes, maybe, i can't comment on over seas popularity but over here, they aren't anywhere near as big as they used to be. Which is totally fine like i said. I've got no problems with that. But i was just commenting that IF they DO want success, they need to go about album 6 with a lot more force, like i said in the other post.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 12:40 AM Quote
You're not alone at all Paul, because i'm right with you on that one and i imagine most of the people who post here are too. I love Travis, they're my favourite band and right now i don't see that changing at all.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 12:46 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:

Your English was fine. :) Yes, maybe, i can't comment on over seas popularity but over here, they aren't anywhere near as big as they used to be. Which is totally fine like i said. I've got no problems with that. But i was just commenting that IF they DO want success, they need to go about album 6 with a lot more force, like i said in the other post.

Haha thanks!
The weird thing is, they're not big here either xD. They were in 2001 with The Invisible Band. I never even thought I'd have the chance of seeing Travis live in Argentina. I like to believe that after the gig they did here a lot more argentinian people will be interested in the next album. Everyone was blown away by their performance.
But yeah, I agree with you.
And I'm sure at least 90% of the people here will still be a Travis fan as long as they keep making excellent music, of course I'm part of that group of people :o)

Esteban
Esteban Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 12:50 AM Quote
Reading between the lines in what Fran's said in the blog, I think they'll go about this album with great gusto, they clearly want to retain and build on the momentum gained last year, so there's every reason to believe they'll work as hard on this album and tour as they did on the last. We all live and learn and maybe the band will go about promoting the album differently compared to last year. Remember that the music industry/how people access music when Good Feeling was released is unrecognisable compared to now (certainly as an observer looking in), and it's constantly evolving, look at Radiohead's latest release for the prime example. I'm looking forward to these shows from the perspective that everything will be new, much like when I first bought Good Feeling and loaded it into my cd player. We'd all love them to trot the classics out, and I've been having mixed feelings since I first read this thread, but I'm now looking at it this way, we're going to hear future classics, and that excites me.

Eledh
Eledh Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 12:56 AM Quote
paul_c wrote:

They're playing club shows. Does that not go some way to suggesting how big they're aiming these days??

They know where their fans are, and they know how many are there, and i honestly think they're happy with that now.

That is of course unless they've gone full circle (edgier album, working with Steve Lilywhite (?) again- debut album number 2?) and their 7th album is going to be like The Man Who again and bring them into the superleague..

Who cares, really? I couldn't care less if they're playing Wembley Stadium or tiny venues- i'll still be a fan, whatever they do. And i know i'm not alone

I'm totally with you, Paul.
In everything.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 12:57 AM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

Haha thanks!
The weird thing is, they're not big here either xD. They were in 2001 with The Invisible Band. I never even thought I'd have the chance of seeing Travis live in Argentina. I like to believe that after the gig they did here a lot more argentinian people will be interested in the next album. Everyone was blown away by their performance.
But yeah, I agree with you.
And I'm sure at least 90% of the people here will still be a Travis fan as long as they keep making excellent music, of course I'm part of that group of people :o)

Of course. I love Travis and if they keep making wonderful music i'll be so happy. A reason to be alive. But sometimes i would like them to get more recognition for their great music.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 1:01 AM Quote
Esteban wrote:
Reading between the lines in what Fran's said in the blog, I think they'll go about this album with great gusto, they clearly want to retain and build on the momentum gained last year, so there's every reason to believe they'll work as hard on this album and tour as they did on the last. We all live and learn and maybe the band will go about promoting the album differently compared to last year. Remember that the music industry/how people access music when Good Feeling was released is unrecognisable compared to now (certainly as an observer looking in), and it's constantly evolving, look at Radiohead's latest release for the prime example. I'm looking forward to these shows from the perspective that everything will be new, much like when I first bought Good Feeling and loaded it into my cd player. We'd all love them to trot the classics out, and I've been having mixed feelings since I first read this thread, but I'm now looking at it this way, we're going to hear future classics, and that excites me.

Very good point. It'll be like seeing a brand new band. I'm not going to see them in February. Enjoy it. It'll be a strange experience i'm sure. But a great one too.

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] All Times BST Current Time 3:44 PM