Travis

Re: The exercise thread
minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 18 Jun, 2010 3:35 AM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
I thought I would resurrect this thread. I have a question for people who run 'cause I was thinking of maybe trying it. Maybe. Half the clothes I have are unwearable.

Ok, I have never had any stamina. Even as a teenager I couldn't keep up with my gym class. Can you really improve stamina? Or is it something people are born with and you either have it or you don't? Seems I'm like Winnie the Pooh, the only thing that improves when I exercise is my appetite.

The other thing, kinda related, is I have never understood when people say they have more energy after being on an exercise program. How is that?

Im not a jogger (although I randomly got on the treadmill for a bit tonight, weird) but I think you can definatly improve your stamina. At least ive found that with other forms of exercise and specifically cardio. I've seen various couch to 10k (etc) programs online. Basically they give you day by day guidelines of how to build up your enderance. You might want to look into something like that.

I dont know that I have more energy after working out, but it annoys me to say Ive become a person that feels better after working out. And feel guilty when I dont. It's motivating to see results.

But the one thing I will never get is when people say it clears their head. Working out, and specfically any form of cardio gives me WAY too much time to think. Often about thinks I shouldnt be thinking about. Music is key for drowning out nagging thoughts.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 18 Jun, 2010 2:28 PM Quote
Thanks, Kristy Bear. I looked and I did find a couple of those couch potato programs. They start you out with a walking/brief jog combo. I might actually be able to do it. We'll see!

deebee
deebee Posted Fri 18 Jun, 2010 4:30 PM Quote
I think I'm allergic to exercise - wish I could find something I actually enjoy doing.

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Fri 18 Jun, 2010 4:38 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
I thought I would resurrect this thread. I have a question for people who run 'cause I was thinking of maybe trying it. Maybe. Half the clothes I have are unwearable.

Ok, I have never had any stamina. Even as a teenager I couldn't keep up with my gym class. Can you really improve stamina? Or is it something people are born with and you either have it or you don't? Seems I'm like Winnie the Pooh, the only thing that improves when I exercise is my appetite.

The other thing, kinda related, is I have never understood when people say they have more energy after being on an exercise program. How is that?

Okay, I don't know how credible I am now, since I haven't run in forever, but I used to and I can definitely say you can improve your stamina. I was a horrible runner in high school. I couldn't keep up with my sisters. But, when I got to college, I decided to try it on my own, and I loved it. It took a while to be able to run longer distances, but I would set goals, and it felt good to accomplish!

I had a friend who was a little overweight in college, and she'd go running with me, but her extra weight made her ankles hurt. So, she just did some light running. She'd practically just started out walking, and then eventually jogging. That combined with eating healthier made her lose some of that weight, and after a while she was running really well. After about a year, she ran a half marathon. So, yeah you can definitely improve your stamina.

I think at the beginning, when you're first starting your work out program or routine or whatever, you'll feel tired--just because you haven't gotten used to it, but once you get into it, you will probably feel better, and you'll feel like you have more energy.

Hmm, now you've got me wanting to start running again!

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Fri 18 Jun, 2010 5:33 PM Quote
deebee wrote:
I think I'm allergic to exercise - wish I could find something I actually enjoy doing.

Welcome to the club. I've tried many things, but it's all boring!

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Fri 18 Jun, 2010 5:44 PM Quote
Oh yes, and like Kristy said, good music is key to a good run!

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Fri 18 Jun, 2010 5:49 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
deebee wrote:

I'm with you, girls.
I only enjoyed doing judo when I was in highschool, and swimming. But now I wouldn`t take up judo again because it's been ages and I'd be surrounded by kids or teens... I don't want to be the old judoka. And I haven't wore a bathing suit in like eight years and I'm not going to start doing it now that I'm plumper and fatter than when I was a teen. I'm very self-conscious of my body (in case nobody noticed).
So... no exercise for me. :oP

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Fri 18 Jun, 2010 6:07 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
And I haven't wore a bathing suit in like eight years and I'm not going to start doing it now that I'm plumper and fatter than when I was a teen. I'm very self-conscious of my body (in case nobody noticed).
So... no exercise for me. :oP

I hear ya.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 18 Jun, 2010 8:03 PM Quote
I am suffering from Mogus. This is (as far as I know) a disease my father made up. He said it occurs when the iron in your blood turns to lead in your butt. I need to fight the Mogus.

Meridith
Meridith Posted Sat 19 Jun, 2010 6:56 AM Quote
I am one of those who hated running at first and now I actually love it. I had no stamina in the beginning, but it eventually came. I started out by going over to the high school and just walked laps first. Then I started adding in jogging a half a lap, and then built up to a whole lap. Eventually I built up to being able to run a mile without stopping and now I can run 7 miles without stopping. I want to get to the point where I can run a half marathon. It's weird, I don't know if it's the same for others but every time I run, the first mile for me is always the hardest. Once I get past that first mile, it's like my body kicks in and says okay, I can do this. Music makes a huge difference for me. I have to run with it. Also, making sure you have a good pair of running shoes. I made the mistake in the beginning of using some old shoes and injured my knee. Shoes are more important than anything.

I have definitely found that I have more energy when I exercise, and I feel better overall. I sleep better too. I'm sure there is some scientific explanation for it. That came in time though.

Good luck Kayte!

deebee
deebee Posted Sat 19 Jun, 2010 12:19 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
deebee wrote:

I'm always super motivated at first. It lasts a week or two and then I'm looking for the next challenge - no staying power at all !!

Peewee
Peewee Posted Sun 20 Jun, 2010 3:56 PM Quote
Ohhhh EXERCISE!

Well I joined the gym about a year ago due to much persuasion of my nephew and friends. I LOVE it! I love the cross trainer, the treadmill, boxing, weights - the lot. I go to Body Combat class on thursday nights (it's all punching, high kicking at an incredible fast pace with pumping music that would burst your ears drums.) Again <3!!!

I used to cross country run but then banjaxed my knees. I try and take it easy on the running but building up my lil knees slowly.

I always was very active and into sports as a kid and all through school. Then kinda gave it up except for football. Now I have really gotten into it again and I do find it gives me great energy (is this a good thing?) but it also is a way to re-direct my frustrations and unspent energy - which I seem to have plenty off. If I need to sleep or really chillout (in other words not be so hyper) I go and have a session in the steam roon and sauna afterwards.

You can build up your stamina. Mine used to suck but I am getting there - slowly. Just need to stick at it.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sun 20 Jun, 2010 4:23 PM Quote
I did this to my leg yeserday when trying to fix the treadmill when the speeds were screwing up. A metal box fell on me.
Should I take this as sign?
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs127.snc4/36728_713092436096_121503582_41670599_4849185_n.jpg

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sun 20 Jun, 2010 4:27 PM Quote
A sign that, like me, you are clumsy and weird things happen to you.

I once bruised my leg when my foot slipped out of the pedals on a STATIONARY bike.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sun 20 Jun, 2010 7:29 PM Quote
managed to not draw any blood on the treadmill today!

Pages Previous 1...3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:18 AM