Travis

Re: The exercise thread
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 24 Feb, 2008 9:38 PM Quote
I started today. We'll see if I keep it up for more than 2 weeks.

deebee
deebee Posted Sun 24 Feb, 2008 10:16 PM Quote
What sort of exercise are you doing? Mine's elbow work (moving choccy biscuit to mouth and repeat, haha.)

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 24 Feb, 2008 10:23 PM Quote
deebee wrote:
What sort of exercise are you doing? Mine's elbow work (moving choccy biscuit to mouth and repeat, haha.)

Yours sounds better.

I have this low-impact orbital exerciser thingy. I'd rather have a tread mill, but I guess it's better than nothing.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sun 24 Feb, 2008 10:25 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
deebee wrote:

Yours sounds better.

I have this low-impact orbital exerciser thingy. I'd rather have a tread mill, but I guess it's better than nothing.

Good luck with that Kayte!
I'm too lazy to do that. I know it's terrible for my health, but I can't help it.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 09 Apr, 2008 7:00 PM Quote
So, yesterday I thought it would be a good idea to ride my bicycle to the library. I had this book that was 2 days overdue, so I had to go. Fines mounting and all. About 1/2 way there, I started to feel the burn, as they say. 3/4 of the way there, I began to think that perhaps riding my bicycle to the library was not a great idea. I did make it there and stayed long enough to recover. The funny thing is, the trip home was not difficult. My city must be built on a very slight slope that it took me 30 years to notice.

Hanne
Hanne Posted Wed 09 Apr, 2008 7:24 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
So, yesterday I thought it would be a good idea to ride my bicycle to the library. I had this book that was 2 days overdue, so I had to go. Fines mounting and all. About 1/2 way there, I started to feel the burn, as they say. 3/4 of the way there, I began to think that perhaps riding my bicycle to the library was not a great idea. I did make it there and stayed long enough to recover. The funny thing is, the trip home was not difficult. My city must be built on a very slight slope that it took me 30 years to notice.

How about the wind? Or the fact that you had warmed up by the time you had to go home?

I can only say that the next time you ride a bicycle, it will be a little bit easier - provided you do it soon, obviously lol

minnesotamary
minnesotamary Posted Wed 09 Apr, 2008 8:14 PM Quote
I like exercising...great stress reliever. When I lived in Austin during my college days, I ran the Capitol 10K every year (my best time was 48 minutes--don't think I'll ever match that again!).

I'm 7 1/2 months pregnant and still work out regularly. Can't run as fast, but I use the elliptical machines. Hopefully my regular routines will help me lose all the pregnancy weight a little faster :)

moominbadger
moominbadger Posted Wed 09 Apr, 2008 8:17 PM Quote
wow, 48 mins, that's amazing! I can't do 10k in under an hour yet! Well, I've only tried once so I'm hoping I might get a bit better!

minnesotamary
minnesotamary Posted Wed 09 Apr, 2008 8:26 PM Quote
moominbadger wrote:
wow, 48 mins, that's amazing! I can't do 10k in under an hour yet! Well, I've only tried once so I'm hoping I might get a bit better!

That was about 11-12 years ago...I'd like to try it again one day to see how much worse I've gotten! Bike riding is great too--I did a 30-mile bike ride last summer and thought I did pretty well--until the next day. Talk about a sore butt!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 09 Apr, 2008 8:38 PM Quote
minnesotamary wrote:
Hopefully my regular routines will help me lose all the pregnancy weight a little faster :)

Good luck having any sort of routine after the baby is born! If you do you're doing better than I did.

minnesotamary
minnesotamary Posted Wed 09 Apr, 2008 8:44 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
minnesotamary wrote:
Hopefully my regular routines will help me lose all the pregnancy weight a little faster :)

Good luck having any sort of routine after the baby is born! If you do you're doing better than I did.

yeah, i've been told i can pretty much throw 'routine' out the window with a newborn. breastfeeding burns calories, right?! :)

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 10 Apr, 2008 2:10 AM Quote
minnesotamary wrote:
yeah, i've been told i can pretty much throw 'routine' out the window with a newborn. breastfeeding burns calories, right?! :)

It burns about 300 a day. It's great if you can exercise but just don't beat yourself up about what you used to be able to do vs. what you are doing now that you've had a baby. If you and the baby are alive at the end of the day, it was a success. Anything else (showers, getting out of your pjs, etc.) is bonus. Just try not to be too hard on yourself.

Love,
Someone who was too hard on herself

Peewee
Peewee Posted Thu 10 Apr, 2008 12:40 PM Quote
I used to be really active at school and uni but that all went out the window when I started work. Being on your feet all day makes me just wanna curl up, not go running.

I have started to walk part of the way home every night. It's about a 45 minute walk from the bus station and most of it is up hill. lol I get exhausted but I have lost like half a stone already!!! :) I try to walk down too but a bit harder as I leave the house SO early in the morn!!!

Moray
Moray Posted Thu 10 Apr, 2008 1:11 PM Quote
Kayte, I love your story about the bike. You should definitely cycle more.

I've hated starting work. Every day I drive to my work, then I sit at my desk for 8 hours, and I drive home again. Contrast that with uni, where I walked to uni and back every day, then was walking between classes etc. I miss being at uni. Work sucks. It's making me chubbier than I want to be.

I've had to take up loads of exercise in the evenings instead - playing football two or three times a week.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 10 Apr, 2008 1:39 PM Quote
Moray wrote:
Kayte, I love your story about the bike. You should definitely cycle more.

I've hated starting work. Every day I drive to my work, then I sit at my desk for 8 hours, and I drive home again. Contrast that with uni, where I walked to uni and back every day, then was walking between classes etc. I miss being at uni. Work sucks. It's making me chubbier than I want to be.

I've had to take up loads of exercise in the evenings instead - playing football two or three times a week.

I would, but it's all a matter of time. My kids can't ride yet, so I have to wait until my husband gets home. But usually it's dinner, a parade of baby baths and time for bed. Sometimes we all go for walks when the weather is nice in the summer.

Just plain old exercise for exercise's sake, I feel like I'm running in a hamster wheel. If I were actually accomplishing something at the same time, that's different. I have to imagine people in the olden days would laugh at us if they could see us now. What do you mean exercise? WORK! I'm more active now than when I was a secretary in a cubicle farm, though.

Pages Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Times UTC Current Time 11:11 AM