Travis

Re: The exercise thread
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Fri 04 Feb, 2011 4:52 PM Quote

I'm a very sedentary person. I just hate exercising. The only sports I enjoy practicing are swimming and judo, and I can't do either because I refuse to wear a swimming suit no matter what and I feel I'm too old to take back judo.
But now I'm spending some time every day on my exercise bike, and I found out I can totally keep it up with the right music. I created a long "exercise playlist" and I actually don't hate it. Which is saying a lot for a person like me. :oP

I started four weeks ago and think I've lost 2 kilos so far.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sat 05 Feb, 2011 9:25 PM Quote
That would be...about 4 1/2 pounds! Good job, Juli!

This is what I dislike about exercising in winter. It's hard to want to get active when you're cold and would rather be under a blanket. You start out cold. Then you get too warm. Then you get cold again. It's very unpleasant.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 30 Apr, 2011 8:29 AM Quote
The guy I was working with yesterday runs 20km a day, he's in training for a 100km race in June, when I said he was nuts he answered "well marathons are boring, I'm fed up doing them."

Dubz

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 30 Apr, 2011 10:20 AM Quote
At the top of Bray Head now. Walking up hills is a lot more difficult than running on the flat. It's also quite nippy up here but by the time I get back down the pubs should be open,

Dubz

Eta- back on the bus to Dublin, pubs didn't look that inviting.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 01 Aug, 2011 3:41 PM Quote
At the beginning of July, I signed up on a weight loss web site. You tell it your age/gender/height/weight, how active you are, and how much you want to lose and it puts a plan together for you. It said I'd lose about a pound a week.

Well, I lost 4 pounds in July, so it was right on the money. It doesn't seem like a lot for all the effort I put into it! But I like that I could eat pretty much whatever I wanted in moderation and although I did exercise, some days I was more active than others and some days I didn't exercise at all. (On the days you do exercise you get to eat more because there is a minimum number of net calories you should consume.)

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 25 Jun, 2012 11:01 AM Quote
Been off the booze for two weeks, started eating wholemeal bread (instead of white) and started an 8week Couch to 5km running programme.

1st Week: Walk 6mins - Jog/run 1min x 3
2nd Week: Walk 5mins - Jog/run 2mins x 3
3rd Week: Walk 3mins - Jog/Run 4mins x 4 (tried this and nearly killed myself)
3rd Week(adjusted) - Walk 2mins - Jog/Run 5mins x4

onto a re-sdjusted week 4 this morning... Walk 4mins - Jog Run 3mins x 4

Some of the increments between weeks are a bit large. It's now a 10 week programme

Dubz

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 25 Jun, 2012 4:27 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Been off the booze for two weeks, started eating wholemeal bread (instead of white) and started an 8week Couch to 5km running programme.

1st Week: Walk 6mins - Jog/run 1min x 3
2nd Week: Walk 5mins - Jog/run 2mins x 3
3rd Week: Walk 3mins - Jog/Run 4mins x 4 (tried this and nearly killed myself)
3rd Week(adjusted) - Walk 2mins - Jog/Run 5mins x4

onto a re-sdjusted week 4 this morning... Walk 4mins - Jog Run 3mins x 4

Some of the increments between weeks are a bit large. It's now a 10 week programme

Dubz

Dubs

I did one of those last summer and some weeks were nutty. Jump from a 10 minutes to 20 minute jog? Ekk.
I've been running more this year but just kind of at my own pace. But I am doing a 5k Warrior Dash in less than a month. Oi.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 12 Jul, 2012 12:59 PM Quote
Had to re-adjust my schedule yet again due to ahem... conflicts.. (in truth went on a mad one the night of the Euro Final),

Week 6: Walk 3mins, Jog/Run 4mins x4

but I'm actually now running/jogging more than walking so I'm getting there.

Went into town this morning and bought a pair of Trainers, first time I've ever actually bought a pair of trainers with the intention of using them for what they are designed for...

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg200/scaled.php?server=200&filename=img5543si.jpg&res=landing

apart from the Lime Green bits they are all right looking so even if I fail at running I've still got new trainers.

Dubz

Peewee
Peewee Posted Fri 20 Jul, 2012 6:53 PM Quote
Right now I am sitting on my bed comtemplating going to the gym (which I pay membership for) and skipping a workout to go straight to steam room. This is not unusual for me to do (i am such a cheat). But it's a lovely night outside...I think a long walk would be better.

However, I might just lounge about and play on Pinterest!

Tough decisions!

mili
mili Posted Fri 20 Jul, 2012 10:25 PM Quote
Apparently I've cycled over 50 km this week, and expecting to do around 30 + more over the weekend. I know it's nothing, but still better than sitting at the front of the TV/computer most of the time, which is my usual mode.

It's Summer, I live in a place where shopping and entertainment are within the reach of lightish cycling, so I really should make the most of it, but I seem to be a little too afraid of water. On tuesday I was going to see Keane at the centre, which is about 20 mins by bike from here, the same by tram, except that you don't have to wait for the bikeā€¦ Anyways, it was a showery/thundery evening, so I took the coward's option and took public transport, and in the end didn't need my brolly. Bummer.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 20 Jul, 2012 10:33 PM Quote
mili wrote:
Apparently I've cycled over 50 km this week, and expecting to do around 30 + more over the weekend. I know it's nothing, but still better than sitting at the front of the TV/computer most of the time, which is my usual mode.

I think that is significantly more than nothing.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 21 Jul, 2012 9:42 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:
mili wrote:

I think that is significantly more than nothing.

Agree, and cycling is better for you than running, there is significantly less "impact" when cycling. Good for you.

It's quite nice here today so I'm gonna go for a walk methinks. get out and about for a bit.

I'm running 5mins and walking 2mins at the moment, rest day today, 8mins and 2mins starting on Monday.

I'm raging as some fucker nicked my Mogwai hoody the other day, I wouldn't normally mind but it was bought for me as a present the first time I saw them live, that kinda pisses me off.

Dubz

mili
mili Posted Sat 21 Jul, 2012 3:30 PM Quote
Sorry about your hoodie, Dubz.

Today's cycling, 21 km. Took my new Keane t-shirt for a spin.

I'm totally unable to do running, unless it's just for a bus or something short term like that. I walk a fair bit, and quite fast, but jogging is not for me. Swimming is ok, but at the moment my shoulder isn't moving enough for a swim.

Pages Previous 1...6 7 8 9 [10] All Times BST Current Time 12:54 AM