Travis

Brighton,portsmouth and bristol
Craig
Craig Posted Wed 19 Dec, 2007 7:13 PM Quote
im off to all 3 can't wait!! who else is going to these shows?

Re: Brighton,portsmouth and bristol
Jimmy_Jimmy
Jimmy_Jimmy Posted Thu 20 Dec, 2007 5:29 PM Quote
Going to the Portsmouth gig.

I live in Portsmouth anyway so I can't not go. Should be amazing.

deebee
deebee Posted Thu 20 Dec, 2007 6:03 PM Quote
Might be going to Brighton - trying to persuade hubby that a weekend away is a good idea. Flights are a bit expensive though for that weekend.

Esteban
Esteban Posted Thu 20 Dec, 2007 7:03 PM Quote
I'm doing Brizzle.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Thu 20 Dec, 2007 7:21 PM Quote
What time do you reckon I can get there and still be reasonably close to the front (first 2 or 3 rows)? I want to arrive as late as I can get away with!

Travis Rocker
Travis Rocker Posted Thu 20 Dec, 2007 9:51 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
What time do you reckon I can get there and still be reasonably close to the front (first 2 or 3 rows)? I want to arrive as late as I can get away with!

i normally get to the venue no later than around 2pm if you get there around that time you should be fine. which gigs you going to?

Travis Rocker
Travis Rocker Posted Thu 20 Dec, 2007 10:00 PM Quote
Jimmy_Jimmy wrote:

do u know how far the venue is away from The IBIS hotel in Portsmouth centre?

hb
hb Posted Thu 20 Dec, 2007 10:21 PM Quote
Travis Rocker wrote:
Jimmy_Jimmy wrote:

1.4 miles going by google maps

Jimmy_Jimmy
Jimmy_Jimmy Posted Fri 21 Dec, 2007 12:09 AM Quote
Travis Rocker wrote:
Jimmy_Jimmy wrote:

It's not really that far although if your not familiar with the area it could be easy to get lost.

I recon you could walk it in about 20-25 mins or so. It depends how much of a walk you are up to. Its not that far but you cant really walk directly to the venue you have to walk around other streets to get there. A taxi from the ibis would only cost a couple of pounds say £3 or £4.

I think the hotel is quite nice, its right in the centre of portsmouth by the university and also guildhall walk which is the main bar / club / pub area in portsmouth , so for food and drink its probably the best location.

The wedgewood rooms are also supposed to be pretty good if somewhat small. I've somehow never actually been there before but some pretty big bands and comedians have played there in the past including oasis.

Travis Rocker
Travis Rocker Posted Fri 21 Dec, 2007 12:19 AM Quote
okay great thanks for that, if coming by train i was told the gig venue is near fratton station

Jimmy_Jimmy
Jimmy_Jimmy Posted Fri 21 Dec, 2007 12:23 PM Quote
Travis Rocker wrote:
okay great thanks for that, if coming by train i was told the gig venue is near fratton station

yeah I think it is. I not that familiar with the Fratton area to be honest but there are directions on the Wedgewood rooms website: Wedgewood Rooms.

It looks like a easy enough walk. If you were going to the Ibis hotel first you would be better getting off at Portsmouth and Southsea as the hotel is just 3 or 4 mins walk out of the station.

Just noticed that the gig has sold out already! Should be great.

the boy with a cryptic name Posted Fri 21 Dec, 2007 7:45 PM Quote
Travis Rocker wrote:

i normally get to the venue no later than around 2pm if you get there around that time you should be fine. which gigs you going to?

Damn that's only several hours earlier than planned! How far back will I be if I arrive at 5 or 6?

Travis Rocker
Travis Rocker Posted Fri 21 Dec, 2007 8:13 PM Quote
Travis Rocker wrote:

Damn that's only several hours earlier than planned! How far back will I be if I arrive at 5 or 6?

yeah im pretty sure you won't get rite to the front at that time im always at the venue around 2pm, also this is a great time to meet the band!!

the boy with a cryptic name Posted Fri 21 Dec, 2007 9:22 PM Quote
Travis Rocker wrote:

yeah im pretty sure you won't get rite to the front at that time im always at the venue around 2pm, also this is a great time to meet the band!!

Yeah, I realise my chances of being within sight of the stage are reducing swiftly. I don't mind being a few rows back though. My Mum is taking me (I need her for the few hours of driving to get there!) and I think she might consider it a waste of an afternoon, so I can't exactly be there for hours :(
I hope you have an excellent time and enjoy your font row slots :)

Amandabug
Amandabug Posted Thu 03 Jan, 2008 10:58 PM Quote
questions for locals:

how far by bus or train are brighton and portsmouth?
i've heard portsmouth isn't the safest place to be, esp. some of the industrial areas and at night -- the club isn't in this area, i hope?
any good recommendations to lodge in either or both of these cities?

(if you can't tell, i'm trying to plan a trip. i'm hoping you guys have good answers!)

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 6:06 AM