Travis

Re: What Book(s) Are You Currently Reading?
fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Wed 15 Apr, 2009 3:44 AM Quote
Just finished Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys. Was not at all impressed. About to start A Life's Work by Rachel Cusk, it's her controversial account of becoming a mother.

Peter76
Peter76 Posted Wed 22 Apr, 2009 12:51 PM Quote
WOW. It's been a while since I've posted in this thread!

I just finished 'The World is Flat' by Thomas Friedman. Highly recommended if you want to know how everything works in today's charged world of globalization, environmental and political activism. Quite fascinating really.

Under Mr Dunlop's recommendation, I'm starting 'The Rest is Noise' by Alex Ross. It's about listening and composing music in the twentieth century. I heard most of it is about classical music but its relevance extends to all musical genres.

After that one I'm going onto Sir Jackie Stewart's 'Winning is Not Enough'. My copy came with a companion DVD so that should make for an interesting read.

Rammsfer
Rammsfer Posted Wed 22 Apr, 2009 10:01 PM Quote
l'm completing my 'A series of unfortunate events' collection :D

spid
spid Posted Thu 23 Apr, 2009 9:29 AM Quote
I've just finished The Discovery of Heaven (very hard going) and am now reading Charlotte Grey.

Loubsi
Loubsi Posted Thu 23 Apr, 2009 10:01 AM Quote
I've just finished The Reader by Bernhard Schlink. This book leaves a weird impression...

Nell
Nell Posted Thu 23 Apr, 2009 2:42 PM Quote
Loubsi wrote:
I've just finished The Reader by Bernhard Schlink. This book leaves a weird impression...

It does, doesn't it??...Seriously...Haven't seen the movie yet

lilly
lilly Posted Thu 23 Apr, 2009 4:13 PM Quote
Nell wrote:
Loubsi wrote:

It does, doesn't it??...Seriously...Haven't seen the movie yet

yes! THANKYOU! finally someone's agreeing with me. I had to read the book for school, so weird...

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Fri 24 Apr, 2009 1:28 AM Quote
I'm about to start on Angels & Demons. I know the film is gonna stray very far from the book, but whatever.

vampire_lover
vampire_lover Posted Sun 26 Apr, 2009 5:42 PM Quote
I've just started first part of The Age Of The Five Trilogy by Trudi Canavan - Priestess of the White. I have been waiting for Polish translation for almost 5 months...

Ana_Smith
Ana_Smith Posted Sun 26 Apr, 2009 7:33 PM Quote
fenchurch wrote:
Just finished Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys. Was not at all impressed. About to start A Life's Work by Rachel Cusk, it's her controversial account of becoming a mother.

Read it last year for an English class, it turned out to be quite interesting and easy to read compared to the book that followed in the syllabus: Beloved by Toni Morrison.
Now I'm finishing The Catcher in the Rye, I waited too long to see what it was all about...

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Sun 26 Apr, 2009 7:59 PM Quote
Ana_Smith wrote:
[
Now I'm finishing The Catcher in the Rye, I waited too long to see what it was all about...

I read that one in later years and have already forgotten the story. Did you like it?

Peter76
Peter76 Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 10:27 AM Quote
MusicGirl99 wrote:
Ana_Smith wrote:
[

I read that one in later years and have already forgotten the story. Did you like it?

Awesome piece of American Literature. How I wanted to put that Little Shirley Beans record back together for Holden.....

Lizzie b
Lizzie b Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 4:24 PM Quote
Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell

I've seen the movie, but my mom has hounded me to read it cuz she LOVED it when she was my age. I usually opt for shorter books cuz of my attention span, but I'm unemployed and hopelessly job searching. I figure now is the best time haha!

Ana_Smith
Ana_Smith Posted Tue 05 May, 2009 4:46 AM Quote
Peter76 wrote:
MusicGirl99 wrote:
Ana_Smith wrote:
[

Awesome piece of American Literature. How I wanted to put that Little Shirley Beans record back together for Holden.....

I loved it!

I completely understand what you mean, it is one of the most honest writings I've ever read!
Many times I found myself agreeing with Holden, others I just wanted him to shut up or do the complete opposite of what he was doing. Because the reader knows how he's actually feeling but he doesn't seem to be able to change his attitude towards life. Sometimes too arrogant and even a hypocrite. Nonetheless I wanted him to stay true to all of his thoughts so bad, that I ended up believing in him, no matter what.
Without a doubt, the best part in the novel is when the meaning of the title is revealed, amazing symbolism...
I should have read this book years ago, I'm glad I finally did.

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Tue 05 May, 2009 11:18 AM Quote
"The secret history of the Mossad" by Gordon Thomas.

Captivating.

Pages Previous 1...5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:42 AM