Travis

Re: What Book(s) Are You Currently Reading?
Peewee
Peewee Posted Tue 17 Feb, 2009 3:10 PM Quote
I am now reading this! It's brilliant, the man is a genius.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/x3/x17902.jpg

Luana
Luana Posted Tue 17 Feb, 2009 3:55 PM Quote
I've just finished Candida Erendira by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
Wonderful book! The first story ( about an old man with wings) is one of the most beautiful things I've ever read.

I don't know the name of this book in English =/

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 9:51 AM Quote
The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Milan Kundera
A Small Treatise on the Great Virtues - André Comte-Sponville
Nausea - Jean Paul Sartre

Btw, I just finished Origines by Amin Maalouf. Interesting read. True story. Little heavy at times maybe though.

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 2:25 PM Quote
champagnesupernova wrote:
The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Milan Kundera
A Small Treatise on the Great Virtues - André Comte-Sponville
Nausea - Jean Paul Sartre

Btw, I just finished Origines by Amin Maalouf. Interesting read. True story. Little heavy at times maybe though.

What do you think of Nausea? I read it recently and just wasn't impressed.

Oh and is the Unbearable Lighness of Being any good? I've been thinking of trying it.

minnesotamary
minnesotamary Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 6:27 PM Quote
When You are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Sat 21 Feb, 2009 10:33 PM Quote
Ah my reading list is getting longer after seeing all of your lists. At the mo I'm reading Loving John by May Pang. It's about Lennon's time in LA. Lots of bizarre stuff in there.

Nell
Nell Posted Sun 22 Feb, 2009 11:22 AM Quote

Eneas - roman...for school though,

I'm trying to get my hands on those Twilight-books...how many of them are there anyway?

Peewee
Peewee Posted Sun 22 Feb, 2009 3:47 PM Quote
Nell wrote:

I'm trying to get my hands on those Twilight-books...how many of them are there anyway?

There's Twilight, New Moon, Eclispe and Breaking Dawn. 4 in total ;)

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Mon 23 Feb, 2009 9:48 AM Quote
fenchurch wrote:
[quote="champagnesupernova"]
What do you think of Nausea? I read it recently and just wasn't impressed.

Oh and is the Unbearable Lighness of Being any good? I've been thinking of trying it.

Well I am not sure. I am surely impressed but dunno in what way. I think it is very important in what mood you are reading Nausea. So far I have started over the book for two times. I was confused at first when I was on the 50th page or something. Confused because one part I was feeling "what the hell is he talking about?" and two pages later I felt "gosh, he is so me!". So I started again and maybe I am better at getting him now. I love the details he kept thinking on. Random, small details that we all think wouldn't matter in a life time.

The Unbearable Lightness of Being is so far absorbing. After first 15 pages I started feeling connected. Plus I watched the film years back. The book makes the whole story more kinda alive through my eyes now. It makes me think. And I love to think.

Ursina
Ursina Posted Mon 23 Feb, 2009 9:58 AM Quote
nothing at the moment

There was this book Two Lives I was really into but I left it behind while I was away for the weekend :( I have to wait till Ester before I get it back, totally annoying!

xokikixo
xokikixo Posted Sun 01 Mar, 2009 9:25 PM Quote
im currently readin look at me by jennifer egan- it is ah-mazing!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 01 Mar, 2009 10:54 PM Quote
Pure trash that is Robert Ludlum's Bourne series, not particularly well written, very jumpy, and too many attempts to "humanize" the main character. It's a spy thriller!! I don't really want to empathise with Bourne, I just want him to kill people.

Dubz

Nell
Nell Posted Sun 01 Mar, 2009 11:15 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Pure trash that is Robert Ludlum's Bourne series, not particularly well written, very jumpy, and too many attempts to "humanize" the main character. It's a spy thriller!! I don't really want to empathise with Bourne, I just want him to kill people.

Dubz

Isn't it the whole meaning of the books that he actually doesn't wanna be a killer anymore - instead he goes for the company? ;)

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 01 Mar, 2009 11:24 PM Quote
Nell wrote:

Isn't it the whole meaning of the books that he actually doesn't wanna be a killer anymore - instead he goes for the company? ;)

It is sorta but Ludlum writes spy books he really should stick to what he knows rather than trying to go for the whole more ethics/morals stuff, I feel.

The first book is sorta like that but then by the second they start using him again and then it's the whole tortured mind thing between David Webb and Jason Bourne, the Bourne Supremecy is nothing like the film, for a start Conklin is still alive and he is also tortured by the fact he tried to kill Bourne, because he didn't know he was suffering form amnesia Conklin becomes an alcoholic but gets himself cleaned up when Bourne needs him.

Dubz

Peewee
Peewee Posted Tue 03 Mar, 2009 4:58 PM Quote
A Book of Silence - Sara Maitland

This is a fascinating book in which the author looks at silence and removes herself from the modern world to a small cottage on the Isle of Skye just to "experience" it. The author also looks at Silence from Historical, Spiritual, Philosphical perspectives. It really is interesting and very well written. Still haven't got to the point where Sara truely experiences Silence but maybe she goes MAD, which has happened to previous expolores of extreme silence....funny that!

Pages Previous 1...3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:19 AM