Travis

Re: The Recommendation Thread
pixiedixie
pixiedixie Posted Mon 10 Dec, 2007 7:44 PM Quote
Track of the day:

Sparkey´s dream, by Teenage Fanclub

Isn´t this just a glorious band or what?

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 10 Dec, 2007 10:18 PM Quote
Sparky's Dream is an amazing track, in fact go listen to the whole album!!!! Now !!!! Grand Prix Here

Dubz

pixiedixie
pixiedixie Posted Mon 10 Dec, 2007 10:37 PM Quote
I know, I know, it´s one of my favourite albums! :)

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 15 Dec, 2007 1:09 PM Quote
The Mercy Seat - Ultra Vivid Scene (not Nick Cave or Johnny Cash Version but a totally different song)

Dubz

btw I imagine Ric would enjoy it... your welcome

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sat 15 Dec, 2007 1:34 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
The Mercy Seat - Ultra Vivid Scene (not Nick Cave or Johnny Cash Version but a totally different song)

Dubz

btw I imagine Ric would enjoy it... your welcome

I haven't heard that song since 89 or so I LURVED it ! played it like 10 times in a row , didn't know MOBY was in that band , Thanks ! But to continue, you can't go wrong with any Teenage Fanclub

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Sun 23 Dec, 2007 8:26 PM Quote
Xgirl wrote:

Movie: Gattaca

Good one.

I recommend this song off Dave Gahan's new solo record, I believe it's called Kingdom. Very pretty. Not much of a DM fan but I like this.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 05 Jan, 2008 1:47 PM Quote
Cidade de Deus (City of God)

I watched this again recently and forgot just how fucking brilliant it is, it's actually quite difficult to watch in places but it is an amazing portrail of life in the Flavelas of Rio de Janerio. I cannot recommend this film enough to anyone who hasn't seen it, get it on DVD don't even rent it, just buy it, I promise you will not be disappointed.

http://images.fok.nl/upload/070726_175294_cidade-de-deus-poster01.jpg

Dubz

Monica
Monica Posted Sat 05 Jan, 2008 5:21 PM Quote
Book: The Gun Seller, by Hugh Laurie.
Track: Take That--> shine
Film: Seven
Album: In Rainbows

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 1:48 AM Quote
http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.com/newsite/movies/1970s/1977/reg/wizards_a.jpg

http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.com/newsite/movies/1970s/1977/reg/wizards_b.jpeg

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 13 Jan, 2008 6:19 PM Quote

Ralph Bakshi??

Fritz the Kat, Cool World and Lord of the Rings(animated version)??

My Recommendation for today a young lass from County Down, Cara Dillon an amazing voice I have a load more of her stuff if anyone is interested...

She Moves through the Fair Others may know it as Simple Mind's Belfast Child.
Black is the Colour

Dubz

killer queen
killer queen Posted Mon 14 Jan, 2008 2:27 AM Quote
Whooooooooooooooooo!!! In Rainbows!! I love it!!!

Monica wrote:

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 16 Mar, 2008 5:05 PM Quote
I would like to recommend Water...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61GQRDN8H1L._AA280_.gif

I recently rediscovered this, Billy Connolly is excellent as the Singing Rebel "Delgado"...

I Don't Care I Don't Give a Damn,
British Justice is a Farce and a Sham

Genre: Comedy
Movie Type: Political Satire, Satire
Themes: Colonialism, Political Corruption, Political Unrest
Director: Dick Clement
Main Cast: Michael Caine, Valerie Perrine, Brenda Vaccaro, Billy Connolly, Leonard Rossiter
Release Year: 1985
Run Time: 89 minutes
MPAA Rating: PG13
Plot
Meant to be a parody of the recent invasions of Grenada and the Falkland Islands, this comedy about the laid-back governor (Michael Caine) of "Cascara," a fictional British island somewhere in the Caribbean, and the international parade of characters who come through his territory is a pastiche without a clear center. Among these multinational characters are an American industrialist out to exploit the island's rich source of mineral water -- also the source of all the subsequent trouble on the island -- some inexplicable French-German visitors, a singing revolutionary with ties to Fidel Castro, and various parodies of Brit diplomats and politicians, Margaret Thatcher included. Both Michael Caine as the guv, and Leonard Rossiter as the stuffy Sir Malcolm hand in winning performances. Films with similar themes include Woody Allen's Bananas and Club Paradise, starring Robin Williams. ~ Eleanor Mannikka, All Movie Guide

Dubz

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Sun 16 Mar, 2008 9:05 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
I would like to recommend Water

It's a bit slow in places but it's alright.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sun 16 Mar, 2008 9:20 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
I would like to recommend Water...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61GQRDN8H1L._AA280_.gif

I recently rediscovered this, Billy Connolly is excellent as the Singing Rebel "Delgado"...

I Don't Care I Don't Give a Damn,
British Justice is a Farce and a Sham

Genre: Comedy
Movie Type: Political Satire, Satire
Themes: Colonialism, Political Corruption, Political Unrest
Director: Dick Clement
Main Cast: Michael Caine, Valerie Perrine, Brenda Vaccaro, Billy Connolly, Leonard Rossiter
Release Year: 1985
Run Time: 89 minutes
MPAA Rating: PG13
Plot
Meant to be a parody of the recent invasions of Grenada and the Falkland Islands, this comedy about the laid-back governor (Michael Caine) of "Cascara," a fictional British island somewhere in the Caribbean, and the international parade of characters who come through his territory is a pastiche without a clear center. Among these multinational characters are an American industrialist out to exploit the island's rich source of mineral water -- also the source of all the subsequent trouble on the island -- some inexplicable French-German visitors, a singing revolutionary with ties to Fidel Castro, and various parodies of Brit diplomats and politicians, Margaret Thatcher included. Both Michael Caine as the guv, and Leonard Rossiter as the stuffy Sir Malcolm hand in winning performances. Films with similar themes include Woody Allen's Bananas and Club Paradise, starring Robin Williams. ~ Eleanor Mannikka, All Movie Guide

Dubz

plus George Harrison is in a cameo

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 16 Mar, 2008 9:53 PM Quote
For people who like quirky "so bad they're good" movies try:

A Bucket of Blood
http://shopping.yahoo.com/video/images/muze/dvd/sm/43/202643.jpg
A goofy busboy at a beatnik coffeehouse desperately wants to be accepted into the "in" crowd. When he accidentally kills a cat and covers its body with molded clay to cover up his accident, the mold becomes a hit piece of art with the beatniks. Then, the busboy, now artist, pursues his new career perfroming more and more gruesome acts and turning them into works of art to unsuspecting curios.

And the new re-make
The Death Artist (starring Anthony Michael Hall and Justine Bateman)
http://shopping.yahoo.com/video/images/muze/vhs/sm/18/158818.jpg

Not everyone's cup of tea, but I think they're classic!

Pages Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:48 PM