Travis

Re: New Radiohead album available to download 10th October!
drift-nina
drift-nina Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 9:16 PM Quote
Questions:

1. Is this legit?
The site has been posted on DAS, official W.A.S.T.E. servers are being used, and the official W.A.S.T.E. e-mail address is being used to send out confirmation e-mails. All signs point to this definitely being legit.

2. What is...

Faust Arp? No idea. It's all speculation at this point.

Jigsaw Falling into Place? Open Pick. The name is taken from one of the lines of the song.

MK 1 + 2? No idea. They're assumed to be short instrumental interludes, but again, it's all speculation at this point.

3. What is contained within the discbox?

(Taken from inrainbows.com)

THIS CONSISTS OF THE NEW ALBUM, IN RAINBOWS, ON CD
AND ON 2 X 12 INCH HEAVYWEIGHT VINYL RECORDS.
A SECOND, ENHANCED CD CONTAINS MORE NEW SONGS, ALONG WITH DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHS AND ARTWORK.
THE DISCBOX ALSO INCLUDES ARTWORK AND LYRIC BOOKLETS.
ALL ARE ENCASED IN A HARDBACK BOOK AND SLIPCASE.

THE ALBUM DOWNLOAD AUTOMATICALLY COMES WITH THIS PACK.

Basically, you get a lot of cool shit and the album download when it releases on October 10.

4. Help! It's not letting me place any of the items in the basket!

That's not a question, but clear your browser's cookies and try ordering them again.

5. Help! I'm having issues with my W.A.S.T.E. account.

Reports are saying that you need to register a NEW W.A.S.T.E. ACCOUNT in order to purchase these materials. Once again, YOU MUST REGISTER A NEW W.A.S.T.E. ACCOUNT. Old W.A.S.T.E. accounts will produce a myriad of different error messages when attempting to purchase one of the materials.

6. So, wait, what's happening on October 10?

Some time around October 10, if you pre-ordered the digital download, W.A.S.T.E. will send you an e-mail with a download code. This download code, when redeemed (on October 10, no earlier) will allow you to download In Rainbows. That's all. The CD will not be released anywhere else. It will not be in stores. It will not be delivered to your doorstep. It will be online and online only.

7. All right, cool. What's happening on December 3?

December 3 is when the discboxes get sent out. YOU WILL NOT BE RECEIVING YOUR DISCBOX ON DECEMBER 3. THIS IS SIMPLY WHEN THEY ARE BEING SENT OUT. You will get an e-mail from W.A.S.T.E. detailing how long it should take to receive your package, but don't worry, because you'll already have the free digital download packaged in with the purchase.

8. Does this mean Radiohead has a record label now?

It's unknown at the moment.

9. Will this be sold in stores?

10. Is there any way to buy the discbox without certain elements (i.e. vinyl, hardcover book, etc.) in order to reduce the cost?

11. Is this a double album, or a Kid A/Amnesiac type deal?

This is also unknown, and there are evidences supporting both sides. The fact that the releases are staggered and the second CD is only included in the discbox seems to point to the fact that disc 2 is the Amnesiac to In Rainbows' Kid A. However, the fact that both CDs fall under the In Rainbows name makes it look like it's a double album. Again, this is unknown and purely speculation at this time.

12. Up on the Ladder? Where the hell did that come from?

Shut up.

13. Is there any way to see a better picture of the album cover?

Not at the moment, sorry. But sit tight! More details should be revealed soon.

14. Hey! Why does radioheadlp7.com redirect to inrainbows.com?

An explanation is still pending. Most plausible theory at the moment is that radioheadlp7.com was, for legal reasons, turned into a redirect to inrainbows.com. This is because having a trademark you do not own in your website's URL causes the proper owners of that trademark to send you a cease-and-desist notice. Why? Well, the reason being that to your average Joe, radioheadlp7.com may appear to be an actual Radiohead-affiliated site. This type of confusion can be harmful to any type of business, and as such is prevented.

15. Psst... hey... when's this thing gonna leak?

Probably never -- at least, not in the whole "splurged onto the internet before its release" sense of the word. At the moment, Radiohead and the people close to them are most likely the only people that have a copy of the recording. Radiohead hates leaks because it ruins their ability to surprise the public with their artistic work, and this method of release allows them to be in control of that. This method of release pretty much ensures that there will not be a leak. It's genius, if I do say so myself. Of course, if you're so stingy that you can't even pay zero quid (you can input zero in the price field) then I suppose you can always wait and download it illegally. But you wouldn't do that, right?

drift-nina
drift-nina Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 9:19 PM Quote
Hanne wrote:
If you want the box, it's £40.

If you want the download, you can pay whatever you like. Nice concept!

totally agree !

Andrew
Andrew Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 9:51 PM Quote
I think if anything it's an interesting test.

Personally I paid out for the discbox (which comes with a download on the 10th) at £40.

But I've noticed on a lot of places online stuff like 'OMG you can pay whatever you like!! I just bought the new Radiohead album for a penny'

Maybe Radiohead are rich/crazy/rebellious/stupid enough to do this but I think if I had bought the download only just now I would still have felt obliged to pay at least a fiver.

Anything less and I would feel like I was taking advantage of their generosity, multi-millionares or not.

isma
isma Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 10:04 PM Quote
Andrew wrote:
I think if anything it's an interesting test.

Personally I paid out for the discbox (which comes with a download on the 10th) at £40.

But I've noticed on a lot of places online stuff like 'OMG you can pay whatever you like!! I just bought the new Radiohead album for a penny'

Maybe Radiohead are rich/crazy/rebellious/stupid enough to do this but I think if I had bought the download only just now I would still have felt obliged to pay at least a fiver.

Anything less and I would feel like I was taking advantage of their generosity, multi-millionares or not.

I bought the download for 10 Euros . ;-)

Anyway they have their gigs for getting richer .

drift-nina
drift-nina Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 10:26 PM Quote
IN RAINBOWS - live

http://www.sendspace.com/file/l8zxml

isma
isma Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 10:32 PM Quote
Too Generous Miss Nina! Thanks ;-)

Andrew
Andrew Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 10:53 PM Quote
The other thing I like is that this will be one of the few albums I've got recently where I haven't heard a single thing in advance (with the exception of a clip of Arpeggi over a year ago).

Esteban
Esteban Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 11:00 PM Quote
They played a few off this record when they last toured in 2006 :- Bangers & Mash, 15 Step, Arpeggi, House Of Cards, Bodysnatchers.

Andrew
Andrew Posted Tue 02 Oct, 2007 12:22 AM Quote
Further details from their PR Company...

Quote:
There will be no advances, promotional copies, digital streams, media sites, etc. of RADIOHEAD's In Rainbows.

Everyone in the world will be getting the music at the same time: Oct. 10. That includes us. We don't have anything to play anyone in the nine days until the record is available. Everyone at nasty has put his or her order in and just to clarify: you are not being asked to pay for a promo (as some have inquired). you can pay nothing or as much or as little as you want.

There will be no promotional copies of the discbox either, as each discbox is being made to order. Sorry.

Love the idea that everybody hears it at the exact same time.

Oh, and apparently there's a traditional CD release sometime early 2008.

KevInSweden
KevInSweden Posted Tue 02 Oct, 2007 12:51 AM Quote
Nice idea.

RadioMad
RadioMad Posted Mon 08 Oct, 2007 11:04 PM Quote
I just had to bump this thread.

Only 1 day left!
*excited*

Andrew
Andrew Posted Tue 09 Oct, 2007 3:29 PM Quote
So anyone know what the deal is? Midnight launch?

Can't get onto the ateaseweb forums, pretty sure it's been the first casualty. Hope they've not gone cheap on the hosting for the album download itself, surely they'll know just how much demand there is.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 09 Oct, 2007 3:47 PM Quote
Andrew wrote:
So anyone know what the deal is? Midnight launch?

Can't get onto the ateaseweb forums, pretty sure it's been the first casualty. Hope they've not gone cheap on the hosting for the album download itself, surely they'll know just how much demand there is.

People are saying 10am but nobody knows the time for sure. I've ordered the discbox so i'll wait for that anyway, even though i get a free download i won't be using it. December 3rd it is for me. Enjoy it everyone, i'm sure it will be amazing!

isma
isma Posted Tue 09 Oct, 2007 8:47 PM Quote
http://www.nme.com/news/radiohead/31681

feri
feri Posted Wed 10 Oct, 2007 6:39 AM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
Hmmm, this sounds like a rather large swindle to me! It's good news for people like me who wouldn't have bought it but may download it because it's free to check it out, but for Radiohead fans:
* They have to pay £40 to get the extra songs.
* They only get one more CD (they could have downloaded for free/a little bit anyway), two vinyls which have nothing new on, and some nice pictures.
* This isn't worth £40. (Not for me! Feel free to disagree...)

So, to conclude, Radiohead are giving away free downloads to all the non-fans, and making the biggest fans make up for their losses by charging them extortionate prices. I wouldn't be happy if I was a big fan! I'd just download it all and wait for the other tracks to be uploaded.

I actually agree with you. I wasn't even aware of all of this, until I actually went to pre-order and read this thread. The media made it seem that the band is giving away everything for free and that's it, but really it seems like only one side of the story is being told.

Anyways, I'm exactly what you described, not a Radiohead fan, just curious to see what their new stuff sounds like. I'm a cheap poor starving university student...lol and that's why I paid nothing to download.. Also knowing me, I'll listen to their stuff once and never listen again, so it's really like getting a preview of their stuff...thus I don't feel the need to pay.

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:07 PM