Travis

Re: Not In The top-40 again
Sunny
Sunny Posted Thu 04 Oct, 2007 1:18 PM Quote
Fran wrote:
Order, Order...ok already...I think there is a mix up. I believe that everyone has a right to voice their opinion. Right Sunny, agreed Sara Anna? But...and it's a big BUT... I believe that it's HOW you say what you have to say that counts.
Like, Sara, when you said on the board you thought my sons name was "stupid" maybe you were trying to be funny or maybe you didn't like our choice of name for him, or maybe you were trying to get some kind of reaction, but saying it's "stupid" is just insulting. And that's the rub. This is my point. That on this board, on any board, in life, it's not what you say. it's the way that you say it.

I agree with some of the points you make in your post Sara. And sometimes you put your points in a cool salient way. It's your tone that I think people react to and not to what you are saying.

Right.

I can't remember her saying it was "stupid", and I can't, and won't, speak for her, so I'll leave that point for her to answer. But, if you did to me what you did to Sarah outside that venue I wouldn't even bother trying to understand your point of view. It was a crappy thing to do to someone who has looked up to you for years. Yes, you may have been insulted, but would it not have been better to have taken a deep breath and walked away? Or at least tell her you were insulted and leave it at that?

Tonie
Tonie Posted Thu 04 Oct, 2007 1:24 PM Quote
Well, the gap in my knowledge suddenly got filled, for sure!

The "how" is fundamental, as well as the "what", it's true. And yes, I can see why you were insulted, Fran - I'd feel the same way. But maybe "Somewhere Else" could have learnt from this and been a bit more circumspect in his/ her subsequent remarks in this thread????

Shall we carry on talking about chart positions now, or is everyone as gobsmacked as I am about this divine (and most welcome) intervention?????

:)

Sunny
Sunny Posted Thu 04 Oct, 2007 1:26 PM Quote
Tonie wrote:
But maybe "Somewhere Else" could have learnt from this and been a bit more circumspect in his/ her subsequent remarks in this thread????

Absolutely. Especially as she's much older and (supposedly) wiser than the rest of us.

Isa_travis
Isa_travis Posted Thu 04 Oct, 2007 1:54 PM Quote
Tonie wrote:
Well, the gap in my knowledge suddenly got filled, for sure!

The "how" is fundamental, as well as the "what", it's true. And yes, I can see why you were insulted, Fran - I'd feel the same way. But maybe "Somewhere Else" could have learnt from this and been a bit more circumspect in his/ her subsequent remarks in this thread????

Shall we carry on talking about chart positions now, or is everyone as gobsmacked as I am about this divine (and most welcome) intervention?????

what's the matter with Somewhere else?? I missed it I'm new here @.......@
I'm still shocked about Fran's intervention and after my post!! ^0^ I know it's a serious conversation but well, calm down guys and let's continue with the charts topic.

Ursina
Ursina Posted Thu 04 Oct, 2007 2:18 PM Quote
Tonie wrote:

so true!
Obviously there is more to it than we know but I certainly would have felt insulted too...the insults Fran had to endure on this board over the years, I'm surprised he can be so cool about it..

bringing it back to the original thread ;-)

I LOVE the Boy (I pefer to call it The Boy rather than TBWNN) For me it is a very personal album and very close to TMW, which is my all time favourite Travis album. As to the chart position of the singles.... frankly I don't care a toss! The trash that is in the charts these days doesn't reflect the music I like, so with Travis not being in the charts is almost a compliment. The only drawback is that they don't get as much airplay as I would like.
I would have chosen Selfish Jean as the first single, Travis needed to come back with a bang and I think that would have done it. Other than that..... Battleships, One Night, 3 Times, Eyes Wide Open, My Eyes, Sailing Away (great summer single).... any of them.

Travis mean much more to me than any chart positon and as long as they keep producing music and I get a chance to see them live... I'm in Travis heaven!
Sina:)

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Thu 04 Oct, 2007 2:56 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:
Fran wrote:
Order, Order...ok already...I think there is a mix up. I believe that everyone has a right to voice their opinion. Right Sunny, agreed Sara Anna? But...and it's a big BUT... I believe that it's HOW you say what you have to say that counts.
Like, Sara, when you said on the board you thought my sons name was "stupid" maybe you were trying to be funny or maybe you didn't like our choice of name for him, or maybe you were trying to get some kind of reaction, but saying it's "stupid" is just insulting. And that's the rub. This is my point. That on this board, on any board, in life, it's not what you say. it's the way that you say it.

I agree with some of the points you make in your post Sara. And sometimes you put your points in a cool salient way. It's your tone that I think people react to and not to what you are saying.

Right.

I can't remember her saying it was "stupid", and I can't, and won't, speak for her, so I'll leave that point for her to answer. But, if you did to me what you did to Sarah outside that venue I wouldn't even bother trying to understand your point of view. It was a crappy thing to do to someone who has looked up to you for years. Yes, you may have been insulted, but would it not have been better to have taken a deep breath and walked away? Or at least tell her you were insulted and leave it at that?

Eh, what happened at the gig?

Nosey Grinner x

cornax
cornax Posted Thu 04 Oct, 2007 3:01 PM Quote
Ursina, you and I have similar tastes as The Man (as I think of it...LOL) and The Boy are also my faves.

As for the charts...I would never expect to find Travis at the top. Or any of my favorite bands for that matter. Where would they fit? Between Fergie and Hinder? In my (I'd say 'humble' but I'm really thinking 'lofty and informed') opinion, songs that top the charts tend to be formulaic and catchy. It's why people rush out to buy them. You hear it, you "know" it instantly, and so it stays with you. Quality music needs to be lived with and digested. Like art. Or cheese.

Sara Anna
Sara Anna Posted Thu 04 Oct, 2007 3:17 PM Quote
Fran wrote:

Fran, thank you for your reply.
You agree with some of my points, I would never have known, you know, that's the first time you have ever responded to me on this board. Interesting, you beleive everyone has a right to their own opinion, that's not what you said to me at Warrington!
I never said stupid though what I said was a stupid comment and I probably was trying to be funny which i'm hopeless at but it was not meant as an insult. However I made a public apology to you on the forum at the time when it was brought to my attention that it could be taken as one even though everyone jumped to my defence and said I had done nothing wrong, I was still upset that I may have hurt you. However, I did not get an apology from the person who brought it to my attention and called me a mad mongol, I think you know who i'm reffering to.
When I saw you at Warrington I was understandably very upset by your behaviour towards me, you have been rude to me on a number of occasions without explanation. I not only wanted an answer for myself but also out of genuine concern for you. Can I just say that if there was a problem then there are ways and means of discussing it in an adult and civilized manner. You responded in a thoroughly unacceptable manner in a public forum, it was both thoughtless, intimidating and not the actions of a human being with even a modicum of good manners. It also seemed totally out of character for someone who portrays himself as a caring proffesional.
I apologised again to you but you then further insulted me by saying that I didn't mean it and to go away and think about it. You then exhibited patent double standards, condeming me on trival points, saying I was negative and creepy and when I answered in defence you threw your toys out of the pram, said you'd never read my posts again and stomped off. My tone you say, surely that goes for everyone including yourself, do you know how difficult it is to put yourself accross on the internet Fran, people see things and take things in different ways but if i've upset anyone, I will apologise!
I like to think I live my life in a democracy and greatly value my freedom of speech. I post my honest thoughts and opinions on the board and have given more praise then critic. The amount of time and effort I put in regarding the busking DVD for no personal gain to myself I may add, you not only totally dis-regarded that but anything nice I had ever done for the fans! I'm sorry that I don't think much of your current album but I only say that because I care about your music and was dissapointed.
You also said the board was boring which I thought was an insult to the community as a whole, if you are unhappy with what people post then don't read it or install moderators.
You really upset me that day and as a consequence I lost alot of respect for you and I didn't go to any of the UK tour I had tickets for, money I can't afford to loose not that I care about the money but missing out on seeing what I still consider to be the best live band.
I feel very hurt and confused by your inexplicable actions but can't help thinking that may mean that you've been under intolerable pressure which may explain but not excuse your boorish behaviour.

I'm not a nasty person Fran and I'm not here to cause trouble. I have apologised to you on more than one occasion and I was being sincere, however, you still haven't apologised to me.

Regards

Sarah

Ursina
Ursina Posted Thu 04 Oct, 2007 3:49 PM Quote
cornax wrote:

Or cheese.

Cheese ?? LOL yes, I like cheese :-D

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Thu 04 Oct, 2007 5:02 PM Quote

Ok... Now I know what happened...
*feels totally out of place and leaves the thread*

To Sara Anna + Sunny ONLY
Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Thu 04 Oct, 2007 5:39 PM Quote
We have to concede that we will never gel on this board. I have to admit ,in making my posts , I wanted you to stay away. I have no apology.

I love Travis songs , I love Travis themselves , dearly but in a different way to you - and I would never, in my wildest dreams, address Fran the way you have done today. I believe your assessment is totally wrong ( Please dont justify it, no more, please)

I wept when I read your response to Frans post today . Mainly because he has a far bigger heart than I ever will and he just doesn't deserve , what is to me ,the most disrepectful post I ever want to read.

Keep away from me posting here and I will keep away from you.

Sara, in particular,listen to Fran. You have a great deal to learn from him.

To end , rather than do a seperate post , Mark Radcliffe played 'Driftwood' today ( BBC Radio 2 pm ) and he said at the end that " you could not wish to meet a nicer bunch of people than Travis".He re-asserted it and bears out what is now a huge global love of our idolised Band leader. ( Doesn't make him narcistic , as you said recently)

I am deeply offended by your post to Fran- Leave me be and I will leave you.

Please do not reply.

Isa_travis
Isa_travis Posted Thu 04 Oct, 2007 6:05 PM Quote
I'm still don't sure about what happened here but I think we should continue with the topic... please don't fight.
TRAVIS FOREVER

jambut
jambut Posted Thu 04 Oct, 2007 6:17 PM Quote
hehe Fran posted on one of my topics true he was completely off topic but i still ave gone all girly and gobsmaked. And i was at warrington and heard none of this but you mr fran made that lil kids day with the whole first gig thing.

back on topic - i want to see another single but this time i think the fans should really get behind. You know calling up radio stations getting it played.

jambut
hehe Fran posted on one of my topics true he was completely off topic but i still ave gone all girly and gobsmaked. And i was at warrington and heard none of this but you mr fran made that lil kids day with the whole first gig thing.

back on topic - i want to see another single but this time i think the fans should really get behind. You know calling up radio stations getting it played.

jambut

Pages Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:31 PM