Travis

My review of the Mexican gig- English speakers have a laugh
TALIA
TALIA Posted Fri 03 Aug, 2007 9:31 PM Quote
Right, this is a long one.. but I just HAVE to do it muahahaha

So my throat sores, I’ve got some bruises (in my knees, my arm, my back and on the right side of my belly). I can’t feel my legs and my botty hurts (hahahaha!) because to save my place inside the venue I had to sit in a tiny space on this platform for almost 2 hours before the gig started.. it was soooo uncomfortable. And as I stood in the queue for several hours and the sun was like hell, my face and my arms are sunburned haha.

Anyways, all this was worth, the gig was absolutely amazing. I know this is the way everyone feels after a Travis gig, we always think it is the best gig ever.. so YES, for me it was the best gig ever (it can only be compared to the gig in Glasgow that I attended to in 2005 but still they are soooo different from each other). Well, the thing is that only Travis could surpass Travis, right? In 2004 we had a blast with the longest Travis gig ever, an astonishing show. So what could we expect this time? Something just as good as the last time or better. And the guys really made an effort to beat their own record and to make of that night an unforgettable one. They should feel proud because it was a magnificent night.

So I went with my brother to queue by midday. I wanted to get there earlier but I just couldn’t wake up. There were already like 120 people (I believe the first guy in the queue got there at 7 am) and we were doing the line in the parking lot of the venue. Until 5 pm they let us get to the entrance of the venue and until 6:30 doors were open. When I got in, I ran and ran (despite the security guys) to get to the front line. And so I did, I was on the left side. Still two more hours to wait. At 8:30 pm Jumbo step on stage, I’m not a huge fan of them but I think they were ok. They played nice/known songs and only 1 from their new album. I believe they played for 40 minutes or so…

At 9:30, lights off and “Gonna Fly Now” started… Everyone was expecting to see them on stage but hey! some of us knew they were coming from the crowd. It took them like forever!!! Like Fran, I thought they wouldn’t make it.

So here are the highlights (sooo many) along with the set list (31 songs) tóooooomenla chiquititos!

- Selfish Jean. When it finished I was already with no voice at all… lol I was screaming so loud.
- Eyes Wide Open
- Writing To Reach You
- Love Will Come Through
- Big Chair
- As You Are. Fran wasn’t making any chat until this point (he only had said HOLA once), I guess he believes we don’t understand English. I was just telling this to the girl next to me when Fran started telling us “This song was written in Glasgow.. you know? Because we are from Glasgow”. Like if we didn’t know! Lol and then Dougie pointed at a Scottish flag in the crowd. It was the flag of the girl who was next to me in the queue earlier, she had told me she had made the flag all by herself hehehe.
- My Eyes
- Pipe Dreams. I can’t believe they played this one, it’s one of my favs from TIB.
- U16 Girls
- Beautiful Occupation
- Quicksand (my god!)
- Side. This last one was amazing, people went crazy.. it was just great.
- Re-Offender
- The Line Is Fine. Fran asked us if we liked the Good Feeling album and explained us that this song was written just after WTRY but even though they are so different. So he presented it as the twin of WTRY hahaha
- I Love You Anyways
- Driftwood
- Good Feeling (piano solo by Klaus! Klaus! Klaus! “I’ve got a KLAUS Feeling” hahahaha priceless!)
- Closer (I particularly don’t like this one but it absolutely rock last night hehe)
- Sing
- Battleships
- All I Want To Do Is Rock (Andy on the crowd, two Mexican flags on stage one on Andy’s side another by Doug’s).
- Turn. Everyone was jumping, sweating, singing along like there was no tomorrow! I’m sooo glad that the camera guy who was filming people from the crowd wasn’t on my side. People would have got scared if they had seen me on the two big screens, seriously!

Encore
- Happy. Dougie came back with one of the Mexican flags on his back hanging from his neck. Fran asked us if we were happy? So were we. Can't remember if it was then when we Fran started the "Oeh Oeh Oeh Oeh" and everyone was like yay..
- Baby One More Time. Fran asked to Doug.. “So we’ve been left alone, what should we do then? The only thing we can do” and the songs started. By the end of the song, one of them made a mistake lol I can’t tell if it was Fran or Doug but it was funny.
- Slideshow. I think it was here when Fran said “I think you just don’t realize how amazing you are. You think we are playing for you, but actually you are playing for us. We should pay to see you”.
- Blue Flashing Light (at this point I was over excited… wow!)
- 20. Fran asked to turn lights on and all by himself did an amazing performance.
- Flowers In The Window (like they’ve been playing it during the tour, an acoustic with the 5 of them in the middle of the stage, Doug and Andy playing Fran’s guitar while he claps hehehe).
- Humpy Dumpty Love Song. Music stopped for like 5 second just after “Down to Mexico…” hahaha and the shouts of people!
- Why Does It Always Rain On Me? Fran asked everyone (even the sound and security guys) to jump hahaha of course they didn’t but the rest of people did it! Yay
- Back In Black. Amazing the high tones Fran can reach in this song.

At some point of the last part of the gig, Dougie fell down hahha it was soooo funny! he was rolling over the floor and he was laughing so loud and when Fran saw him he couldn’t help laughing and forgot the lyrics of the song. Lol

The gig finished at midnight. 2 hours and a half of total happiness :) Each time a song ended, I thought things could not get better but they did. I really wished it could last forever! Every song they played was beyond my expectations! If something missed was Coming Around, but hey! 31 songs! My voice still hasn't fully recovered from it ;) They apologized for taking so long to come back and promised to come back not in 3 years, but next year.. hell yeah!

After the gig, we managed to see the guys and I was surprised at how long they would stop to talk with us. They were sooo tired but excited because of the energy of the gig. Fran told us about the “My eyes” video, he said is going to be a funny one though he didn’t give us details just said we’re gonna love it ;)

Oh, and those boardies that complain about Mexican’s post and enjoy making jokes about us and bla bla.. please post here whatever you like, I enjoy reading all that too ;) Already talked about this with Fran hee hee, he’s such a gentleman :)

Re: My review of the Mexican gig- English speakers have a la
monkey
monkey Posted Fri 03 Aug, 2007 9:55 PM Quote
31 songs, not bad at all. good review too :)

Trixi
Trixi Posted Fri 03 Aug, 2007 10:12 PM Quote
I really enjoyed reading that review, Talia! Thank you so much!
Wow, two and a half hours, I guess the guys could have wring themself out afterwards and still took the time to chat and take pictures with you lot...so nice!
I'm really curious about the My Eyes video now :-D
totally agree about Pipe Dreams btw. One of the best (if not THE best) songs of TIB...especially live *nods*

barby
barby Posted Fri 03 Aug, 2007 10:15 PM Quote
No te pudeo creer q Fran les dijera que la banda es de Escocia! Se pasó! Eso nos dice algo, ellos piensan q no sabemos nada de ellos, o muy poco! Seguro q cuando cantaron las canciones se dieron cuenta que los amaban! Q chistoso es este Fran, hasta una bandera llevó.Y 31 canciones es genial, grandioso! Me muero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TRAVIS MEXICO
TRAVIS MEXICO Posted Fri 03 Aug, 2007 10:26 PM Quote
I also talked a little bit with Andy in the morning. I asked him about the My Eyes video, but he smiled and laughed a little and then said he couldnt tell me anything, but that the video is really funny

Itzel
Itzel Posted Fri 03 Aug, 2007 10:44 PM Quote
Hahaha it was so funny when poor Dougie fell. xD

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 03 Aug, 2007 10:48 PM Quote
WOW. 31 songs?!?! They are so freakin' awesome! I'm so happy you guys had a great time!!!

:) Great review!

realofere
realofere Posted Fri 03 Aug, 2007 10:57 PM Quote
Heyyyy.... I thought I was a real fan but you are beyond.... anyway Im form Mexico and after reading your review i feel kind of disapointed about mine.. hehehe... It is just that I thought that I have made a good review but yours is very complete.

Nice... and I wish they made a DVD on Mexico...

realofere
realofere Posted Fri 03 Aug, 2007 10:58 PM Quote
Heyyyy.... I thought I was a real fan but you are beyond.... anyway Im form Mexico and after reading your review i feel kind of disappointed about mine.. hehehe... It is just that I thought that I have made a good review but yours is very complete.

Nice... and I wish they made a DVD on Mexico...

alyrtle
alyrtle Posted Sat 04 Aug, 2007 12:00 AM Quote
haha that sounded amazing! nice description :D

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Sat 04 Aug, 2007 12:07 AM Quote
wow! talia! i was planning to make my own full review, but you do it so damn well! that i don't need to make another, wow, spectacular concert! travis are defintely the best!

nats
nats Posted Sat 04 Aug, 2007 1:06 AM Quote
great review! glad to hear (read) that you have such a good time!

Buffsak
Buffsak Posted Sat 04 Aug, 2007 2:42 AM Quote
excelent review!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![
was A-MA-ZING.....still in shock.......T.T....my gosh...

TALIA
TALIA Posted Sat 04 Aug, 2007 3:02 AM Quote
awww, Fran gave me an "Art, Music, Jaffa Cakes" t-shirt.
Not the one he wore last nite, that one was for Erika ;)

when he saw me he said "Hey talia... I've got something for you.." and took it from his little bag.. Awwww! and I was in shock and only could say "Is it an original one Fran?" lol!!!!

aint he the nicest person ever?

flower_in_the_window
flower_in_the_window Posted Sat 04 Aug, 2007 9:38 AM Quote
Great review!
Sounded like an amazing gig!

Pages [1] 2 3 Next All Times UTC Current Time 3:42 PM