Travis

Re: the final straw with the NME
Safe Side
Safe Side Posted Mon 30 Jul, 2007 12:13 AM Quote
Have to be honest here and say i never miss an issue on NME. To be total fair its the only way really to find out about new bands properly. Ok It slags travis but i no to take that with a pinch of salt , I have to say about amy i think shes lovly and done great for herself but i really cant get into her music, The NME in the actuall review bit is usally quite fair i mean it hyped up the twang but when they turned out a shite album they said so. The NME will genuially help out new bands it think deserve it and to be fair most of the bands that it slags desrve it bands like embrace and the feeling and stuff are utter shtie. People that read the NME arent actually that stupid that they argee with everything it says.

Vince
Vince Posted Mon 30 Jul, 2007 12:35 AM Quote
i tend to just ignore them as all they write is crap. they only seem to hype what they think is cool or trendy and every other band is deemed to be shite. just ignore them i say.

Fran
Fran Posted Mon 30 Jul, 2007 3:06 PM Quote
Travis has never been an NME band. I agree with someone in here though that it is actually a great magazine because it is one of the only mainstream weeklys that showcases new and interesting music and their critical bootings are legendary. And Amy...welcome to SHOWBIZ :)

gladsadmad
gladsadmad Posted Mon 30 Jul, 2007 3:58 PM Quote
Fran wrote:
Travis has never been an NME band. I agree with someone in here though that it is actually a great magazine because it is one of the only mainstream weeklys that showcases new and interesting music and their critical bootings are legendary. And Amy...welcome to SHOWBIZ :)

Here, here. Welcome to showbiz Amy!

The NME are the enemy. Yes they showcase some of the most newest and interesting music around, but they also forget and disrespect the bands that they once loved. They're so fickle. Most of their critiques are just plain wrong and not actually about the music, that they deserved to be critized themselves.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Mon 30 Jul, 2007 4:02 PM Quote
Fran wrote:
Travis has never been an NME band.

Because they've given you shit reviews recently?

To be honest I don't know why anyone bothers reading music mags anymore - it's just one person's opinion on some poor soul's career. Music reviews aren't very fair at all. Make up your own mind; that's what I say.

Moray
Moray Posted Mon 30 Jul, 2007 5:41 PM Quote
You should all write angry letters to the NME then. Thats how we get things done around here!

accousticbug
accousticbug Posted Mon 30 Jul, 2007 7:36 PM Quote
well thats a pretty great attitude to have fran and i really admire you in that these kind of things dont affect you guys.

but to dismiss the music that i genuinely love and to slag it off just makes me quite mad. thats why im annoyed?

it feels like there that kid at school who would throw names and sticks at you in the playground and just be plain mean just because they can.

and gee i really do remember when the nme were on your side and promoted you.. i wasnt just saying that for effect.

whatever the case i only brought it up because it genuinly pissed me off and i needed to let it off.

Mike_Thomas
Mike_Thomas Posted Mon 30 Jul, 2007 9:03 PM Quote
I agree. It does appear that as soon as a band has put out two albums, it automatically disowns them (bar Oasis, The White Stripes, to some extent U2 and a couple of others). Razorlight will probably become their public enemy within a year and God forbid if the Libertines had stayed together long enough to make a third album.

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Mon 30 Jul, 2007 11:40 PM Quote
personally, I hate NME with a passion and it's as shame because they used to be good. So driven on what they think is cool to the point where they totally disrespect anyone that doesn't fit their image, not just Travis. If they were objective it would be OK, but all too often their reviews could have been written by anybody without even listening to the album, gives the reader no idea what it's actually like, or even what type of music it is. I find NMEs reviews totally useless unless I actually know something abnout the band beforehand, because they don't inform at all. Just peddle their own agenda.

I do like Q, though. Think they're far better particularly with reviews, have got into a fair few bands by reading a review in there, checking out the little box at the bottom where it gives an alternative, and thinking 'hmm, maybe I'll try that'. Personally have found that ten times more useful for discovering new music to NMEs 'these guys are the next big thing!!' hype machine.

One redeeming feature I guess, their CDs are good.

Esteban
Esteban Posted Tue 31 Jul, 2007 1:19 AM Quote
Sunny wrote:
Fran wrote:

To be fair, they gave The Man Who somewhat of a kicking if I remember rightly, and they were lukewarm on 12 Memories too, so it's not like they've turned on them suddenly.

This thread reminds me of the Selfish Jean chart position thread, which seemed to indicate that the band should be chasing chart success. Today's Travis appears to be happy with making an album, going round the world having an amazing time touring it, and that'll do them.

If that's good enough for them (I could be utterly wrong though, and I don't for one second pretend to know the band or their intentions, I'm just observing what I see and read), then is it worthwhile getting teasy about the NME writing a less than favourable review?

We, the fans, love Travis, hopefully that's enough =)

Sanne (nl)
Sanne (nl) Posted Tue 31 Jul, 2007 3:00 PM Quote
Esteban wrote:
Sunny wrote:
Fran wrote:

To be fair, they gave The Man Who somewhat of a kicking if I remember rightly, and they were lukewarm on 12 Memories too, so it's not like they've turned on them suddenly.

This thread reminds me of the Selfish Jean chart position thread, which seemed to indicate that the band should be chasing chart success. Today's Travis appears to be happy with making an album, going round the world having an amazing time touring it, and that'll do them.

If that's good enough for them (I could be utterly wrong though, and I don't for one second pretend to know the band or their intentions, I'm just observing what I see and read), then is it worthwhile getting teasy about the NME writing a less than favourable review?

Great Post! Oh and....Judging by the amount of gig, the number of countries visited, the calls for more gigs or a "reprise" before the year is over, i would say that's enough:)

Darran
Darran Posted Tue 31 Jul, 2007 3:07 PM Quote
Bring back Melody Maker.

I still have my old copies with Travis on every other page.

Esteban
Esteban Posted Tue 31 Jul, 2007 3:14 PM Quote
Darran wrote:
Bring back Melody Maker.

I still have my old copies with Travis on every other page.

Haha, I used to get Melody Maker too.

But the NME's free cassettes were always better =(

Esteban
Esteban Posted Tue 31 Jul, 2007 3:25 PM Quote
Sanne (nl) wrote:
Esteban wrote:
Sunny wrote:
Fran wrote:

Great Post! Oh and....Judging by the amount of gig, the number of countries visited, the calls for more gigs or a "reprise" before the year is over, i would say that's enough:)

Totally. If you gave me a choice between where Travis are now, and another band touring the arse off an album non stop for a year in a desperate attempt to get chart success, I know which I'd choose. Not to say that Travis don't work hard, far from it, but as I see it, they work differently to many other bands.

They want to give you the best night of your life, whether it's your first Travis gig or your fifteenth, and it doesn't matter whether you buy/download/borrow their music, they just want you to have it and enjoy it, and for that hour and a half to two hours, it seems that everyone in the room really feels that and everyone's caught up in just celebrating being there.

I love it, roll on the Autumn/Winter tour.

P.S Wulfrun Hall this time please, it knocks Brum Academy for six.

alramon13
alramon13 Posted Wed 01 Aug, 2007 12:05 AM Quote
NME = bad journalism. It is, however, pretty good reads on an airplane, along with the other trash magazines...the kind that you might find aliens making headlines, or in the shitter...take your pick.

I would never take advise on music from a magazine that can't write worth shit...their opinions mean nothing to me. I'd rather come to these boards or by other means and take advice from the people that actually listen and know what they are talking about...music fans like us.

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 6:02 AM