Travis

12 memories
Hodgy
Hodgy Posted Mon 09 Jul, 2007 12:57 PM Quote
Have been listening to this album a lot lately, and I think it was quite a bold move for the band to take a political direction when they did, especially after just having got to the stage where they could do Arena tours like they did in 2001/2.
I think they probably lost quite a few of the casual fans that they picked up around the time of the Invisible Band, because people wanted to hear them singing 'Flowers In he Window' rather than 'Peace The Fuck Out'.
Its almost as if the album was recorded in two distinct parts, because you've got the songs like 'Love Will Come Through' against songs like 'Beautiful Occupation' which are so different in outlook.

Re: 12 memories
Hodgy
Hodgy Posted Tue 27 Aug, 2013 8:21 PM Quote
Am bumping my old message! As well as the new album I'm rather obsessed with 12 memories at the moment. Am sure the website had a diary and photos of the recording process back in 2002 - can this be reinstated somewhere?

kazamajazz
kazamajazz Posted Tue 27 Aug, 2013 8:49 PM Quote
12 memories is prob my overall favourite album,love them all tbh tho. It was brave I agree. Midlife krysis is one of my favourite songs. The whole album flows so well and it's still one of the things i listen to all the time.

Karen x

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Tue 27 Aug, 2013 9:11 PM Quote
It's the album I've got back into after Where You Stand was released. I don't think I totally appreciated it. It's easily categorised as "the political album" but actually only two songs are political in nature, the themes are a bit darker but a lot of the songs would fit nicely in The Invisible Band.

Somewhere Else
Mid Life Krysis
How Many Hearts
Love Will Come Through
Happy to Hang Around
ReOffender

All great songs. Not forgetting in Walking Down This Hill/Some Sad Song one of the best album closer/hidden track combos they've done.

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Tue 27 Aug, 2013 10:22 PM Quote
Mikko85 wrote:
It's easily categorised as "the political album" but actually only two songs are political in nature, the themes are a bit darker

This is the point--just two songs. I never understood the general weird reaction to 12 M. Sure it's darker but it's the same band. Still one of my faves, it's stood up well.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 6:29 PM