Travis

Where You Stand - My Review
MoreThanMe
MoreThanMe Posted Sat 24 Aug, 2013 9:07 AM Quote
Mother:

Fantastic opening song. I've been hoping for an album opener like this for years, will go great as a gig opener too. I like the fact that the first song sees every member with a writing credit. Nice. Even if its a bit Coldplay-ay.

Fave bit - Piano solo
Score - 8/10

Moving:

Love the transition from Mother into this, great transition. Fantastic driving bass. Fran's voice sounds good. Only minor sticky point for me is that the song doesn't really go anywhere. Verse>Chorus>Verse>Chorus.

Fave bit - Opening chords
Score - 7/10

Reminder:

Another superb song. I'd say it sounds most likely to have been written during the sessions for Wreckorder as for me it has that vibe. Love the lyrics. Really such a simple song. Something which Travis have always excelled at. Tremendous.

Fave bit - The wee break down right at the end
Score - 8.5/10

Where You Stand:

Originally I hated this song. Thought it sounded too much like a bad Keane song. I think I still don't love it, but am enjoying it more n more. Don't get me wrong, I like the sentiment but I just think the album could maybe be a bit too strong in other areas for the soppy waffle of this one. Sorry Dougie!

Fave bit - eh, dunno, I'll go for the piano
Score - 5/10

Warning Sign:

Amazing. I'd say its the best Travis song since The Man Who days. For me, obvious choice as a single. Love love love the bass groove, the drums, the guitars and singin. The lyrics are great. Love how it starts and ends with that same guitar part too.

Fave bit - Really all of it but if I had to pick one bit it's the bass.
Score 10/10

Another Guy:

Ok, so the first thing we heard from the album. Again, another great song.
Maybe has a kinda Strokesy feel to it? Possibly a solo Julian Casablancas vibe?? I'd say this is maybe the most non-Travisy song on the album. Personally I'd like an album worth of Another Guy style songs from the band. Think it would be very interesting.

Fave bit - Hazey synths
Score 9/10

A Different Room:

Not enamoured. My least fave Travis album is The Boy With No Name and for me it sounds very much like it came from the sessions for that. Bit cheesy, not much happens. Ironically maybe the most Travisy on there.

Fave bit - Drums at the end
Score - 5/10

New Shoes:

Like it, and its a grower. New feel to it. Meandering wee song that has a few gems of oddness strewn throughout. Fran always has at least one surprise per record. I'd say this is it. Great wee drum beat, lyrics are strange/good. And even a guitar solo!

Fave bit: Guitar solo
Score: 8/10

On My Wall:

When I first listened to it I thought it sounded a lot like Walking In The Sun. I'd say its ok. It has a kinda Invisible Band feel. Wee bitty like Follow The Light. Nice enough, jangly but doesn't do it for me.

Fave bit - Hand clappy breakdown
Score - 4/10

Boxes:

For me it's all about the piano and the lyrics. Although the drum machine is kinda cool too. If this is the first Dunlop song on a Travis album I'd like to hear more. I'd say lyrically this is the best on the album.

Best bit - The story the lyrics create
Score - 8.5/10

The Big Screen:

This takes me back, right back. It, for me, sounds like it could have been off the end of Good Feeling. Or maybe anywhere on 12 Memories. The best Frans voice is saved for last. Actually, listening to it now I could be convinced it was written by Matt Bellamy for a new Muse album. Superb.

Fave bit - Frans voice
Score 9/10

Re: Where You Stand - My Review
thatlinewasfine
thatlinewasfine Posted Sat 24 Aug, 2013 11:29 AM Quote
Agree with you on warning sign,its outstandinng.That and mother are by far the two best songs,then again opinion is based on preception!

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sat 24 Aug, 2013 12:51 PM Quote
Interesting. Mother, Moving, Where You Stand and A Different Room are my favourites on the album. The Big Screen, my least favourite.

Dypebooggep
Dypebooggep Posted Sat 24 Aug, 2013 7:55 PM Quote
Couldn't this thread gone in the album talk thread with everyone else's reviews? Not trying to be rude or anything, but it seems strange.

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Sun 25 Aug, 2013 1:33 PM Quote
Interesting, I agree that Warning Sign is great, but I think there are a few songs that stand head and shoulders above the rest, the album almost falls into two categories, the great and the average.

Great

Mother
Moving
Where You Stand
Warning Sign
A Different Room
On My Wall
Boxes

Average

Reminder
Another Guy
New Shoes
The Big Screen

So obviously the great outnumbers the average quite a lot

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Sun 25 Aug, 2013 5:10 PM Quote
In this thread and all others ...WARNING SIGN :)))

The Big Screen and Boxes and A different room and On my wall are becoming favs too. Newer sounding somehow.

My least fav are the released singles !! Why , I do not know !

Although I still puzzle why Quite Free was never a single .. Different strokes.......

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 25 Aug, 2013 10:02 PM Quote
Mikko85 wrote:
Interesting, I agree that Warning Sign is great, but I think there are a few songs that stand head and shoulders above the rest, the album almost falls into two categories, the great and the average...

While this is a tad black and white, I think you've pretty much nailed it. Every 'great' song has something special about it - and that's a lot of special for one album.

Dypebooggep
Dypebooggep Posted Mon 26 Aug, 2013 8:57 PM Quote
I LIKE ALL THE DISC ....ANNIVERSARY ........ HAD TO HAVE BEEN IN THE ORIGINAL CD

rella
rella Posted Tue 27 Aug, 2013 4:34 PM Quote
Certain people call it a review. I'd lke to call it the afterglow & say it with the words from so many songs over the years.Somewhere else out in space eyes wide open, new shoes follow the light, moving to where you stand, in a different room.You sing with the invisible band - beautiful, a free soul, as you are the man who spreads good feeling closer. Is that love? Indefinitely. Chances are love will come through to more than us. Your music in the air we breathe makes the world more beautiful.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 12:38 AM