Travis

What's wrong with these reviewers?
elodie
elodie Posted Sun 18 Aug, 2013 11:16 PM Quote
I have just made a Google search to find reviews about Where You Stand. As we all know, media coverage plays a big part in introducing the album to a new audience and even though I do not really care to know if band is 'popular' or not in the broader sense, I feel somewhat curious to get a grasp at the way the new songs are being received out there.

Turns out that beside this one article published on the indie website Drowned in Sound, other reviews from The Scotsman, The Independent are negative or mixed.
This one is particularly horrible and badly-written : http://www.theartsdesk.com/new-music/cd-travis-where-you-stand

So, I feel this is a legitimate question to ask: what's wrong with all these reviewers?

Re: What's wrong with these reviewers?
Swan269
Swan269 Posted Sun 18 Aug, 2013 11:52 PM Quote
it doesn't really matter what they have to say. The man who got horrible reviews as well. I find most critics need music that makes them dance or get angry to find it "cool" oh well, more people like the band than dislike them.

Swan

elodie
elodie Posted Mon 19 Aug, 2013 12:22 AM Quote
I know this does not really matter. But I can't help thinking that this might have some kind of influence ultimately on the band's ability to get broadcast their songs out there or to get some gigs. And this is important, because music is about sharing.

Also, this gets worse because people who are 'exposed' to these reviews get stuck with the idea that Travis = 'dull' or 'boring' and they tend to not pay attention to the music anymore, because reading this type of reviews does not encourage one self to listen to the album and make your own opinion about it.

fenririel
fenririel Posted Mon 19 Aug, 2013 3:42 AM Quote
This is a matter that baffles me as well, however the best way people can get to know Travis is word of mouth. Actually this is way I got to know them, eleven years ago. In Mexico, there was a music critic that also made a gentle-but-not-positive review of their music.

To put it as Fran beautifully said it in "Walking in the sun":

When all these people who will lead you down the back of the track
They're on your back, they will try and tear you apart
But believe and you will see that there's no reason to doubt
Then you will find you can do much better than that

Swan269
Swan269 Posted Mon 19 Aug, 2013 12:11 PM Quote
check out the comments section of this review. I found it quite funny.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/cdreviews/10247756/Travis-Where-You-Stand-review.html

I am not sure if it really is Fran responding to it.

F. Healy
08/17/2013 09:51 PM
It's a splendid album. The disc combines doom metal with old school 1980s thrash but with some progressive industrial elements. The vocals of earlier albums with growls and screams are back and best of all - NO BALLADS. Dark, heavy and relentless, this is Travis' back to roots album.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 19 Aug, 2013 5:56 PM Quote
Here's another review for you:

It's fantastic! :)

happy_me
happy_me Posted Mon 19 Aug, 2013 6:19 PM Quote
Don't put too much energy into being disappointed with the reviewers. They just dont like Travis' music. Either because they don't like the band or because it's not hip to like Travis. All that matters is what you think of the album. Me, on my part, love it. I LOVE IT! But then again, I'm a hardcore Travis-fan, just as most other members here.

I think the guys would be more disappointed if we, the fans, didn't like the album. And not everyone needs to love the album or the band, we don't have to dislike others for that.

I'll give you an example. My boyfriend, who is a musician, loves all kinds of music - Pop, rock, electronica, squwee,rembetica, classical music, hiphop, R'n'b and so on. So do I. I love Travis, he thinks it's shite. And that's just his opinion. I still love him. He likes all sorts of music that I think is shite as well. I'll even bet that the boys in the band have different tastes in music.

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Mon 19 Aug, 2013 7:31 PM Quote
I remember The Boy With No Name got what, 2/10 on NME. Travis are fashionable to slate from lazy journalists who can't actually be arsed to listen. Plus, the reviews of Where You Stsnd haven't actually been that bad.

Craig
Craig Posted Mon 19 Aug, 2013 7:45 PM Quote
If people don't like Travis then they don't know good music that's my opinion!

happy_me
happy_me Posted Mon 19 Aug, 2013 9:16 PM Quote
Craig wrote:
If people don't like Travis then they don't know good music that's my opinion!

I don't agree with you. There's lots of good music out there thats not Travis. People who obsess about only one band or one genre don't know good music. That's my opinion.

P.S. Travis4EVA!

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Wed 21 Aug, 2013 1:22 AM Quote
" Healy's voice got right in to my heart " and " Unconditional love " from the reviewer above are a very good description of Travis for me . I have never liked every single track on every album but am always fascinated how everyone's favourites are all different, so just goes to show what good all rounders the albums are.

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Wed 21 Aug, 2013 7:19 PM Quote
Swan269 wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/cdreviews/10247756/Travis-Where-You-Stand-review.html

F. Healy
It's a splendid album. The disc combines doom metal with old school 1980s thrash but with some progressive industrial elements. The vocals of earlier albums with growls and screams are back and best of all - NO BALLADS. Dark, heavy and relentless, this is Travis' back to roots album.

LOL I wonder . . .

elodie
elodie Posted Thu 22 Aug, 2013 4:42 PM Quote
MusicGirl99 wrote:
Swan269 wrote:

F. Healy

LOL I wonder . . .

haha that's a good one!

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 7:00 PM