Travis

US gun policy
travisturkey
travisturkey Posted Sat 15 Dec, 2012 11:54 AM Quote
So sad about what has happened in CT,absolutely tragic. When will US realize that it has to radically change its' gun policy? Even today, there was an armed robbery in my city,in the middle of the campus, just after this tragic event!

Re: US gun policy
ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sun 16 Dec, 2012 1:58 PM Quote
guns were stolen ..it's not gun policy it's culture of revenge

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Sun 16 Dec, 2012 6:53 PM Quote
I'm all for more strict gun regulations and as an European I do not understand the notion that a civilian has any business in owning a gun, not to mention an automatic rifle! The 2nd amendment was created in the 18th century when it still seemed probable the Brits could invade. It surely won't happen now, non? I just don't understand the reasoning behind clinging to it, other than some people think owning a gun makes them look cooler.

Having said that, I think there's a difference between what happened on Friday and, let's say, Aurora. While the former probably would have been avoided (based on what we know as of now) would it be illegal for random people to buy such weapons, I don't think any laws/control could have prevented the latter. If someone's this determined and disturbed and actually takes so much time to plan such horrific acts, they will find their way no matter the legal system. Black market will, sadly, always exist.

The problem is much more complicated, I think. Gun policy is a big part of it, sure. But what about the access to mental health help? Bullying? Glamorization of both guns and murderers? The role of media? I think the way such happenings are covered by various outlets only adds to the issue. Interviewing kids right after they got out of that school? Body count in every headline? Very quick jumping to conclusions regarding the killer? His face on every front page? I mean, it's hard not to get weirdly mesmerized by this even if you're the sanest of people. Imagine how many disturbed individuals see it, too.

What terrifies me the most is how these things seem to happen more and more often.

travisturkey
travisturkey Posted Tue 18 Dec, 2012 5:31 AM Quote
I agree with most of megg's post. It is true that one way or another, people who are highly motivated will get guns. But making it easy to get these won't help! Blackmarkets will exist but very strict gun regulations will increase the price in the black-market and decrease the availability!

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 12:21 PM