Travis

Fran
Fran
Fran Posted Thu 08 Nov, 2012 10:32 AM Quote
Ahhh, so been back 2 days. I'm forcing myself to not listen to the record but the tunes are haunting me. I woke up this morning singing the Where You Stand middle 8. Nora is addicted to the album. She's listened already about 10 times... The CD will wear out soon...
Anyways it's great to be home again. Doing the school run, playing with lego, dozing of in the couch Dad Style.
Nick is arriving in a couple of hours. He's been driving since Tuesday from Norway, bringing the equipment back. Nick has been with the band as our guitar tech since 1997. Long time. And yet not. SO he'll get here soon and I will try not to put my back out this time when loading Michaels gear into Hansa.
Toodle
f

Re: Fran
deebee
deebee Posted Thu 08 Nov, 2012 12:26 PM Quote
Enjoy the well earned break. Been following Nick's adventures, sounds like he's been having a ball in Denmark! Hope he's arrived safely.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 08 Nov, 2012 1:24 PM Quote
Glad you're getting some family time. Have fun with Nick and take care of your back!

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Thu 08 Nov, 2012 6:29 PM Quote
Glad you are able to have a little down time now that the album is done. Take it easy on the back.

mcveighp
mcveighp Posted Thu 08 Nov, 2012 7:06 PM Quote
Did you guys have an album sound you were trying to connect with or was this a 100% new joruney for Travis, do you ever refer back to previous mixes or sessions & try to recreate that feel or mood!?

Pete

Meridith
Meridith Posted Thu 08 Nov, 2012 9:09 PM Quote
Dozing off on the couch dad style...love it. Moms do it too I have found. :) Good luck with your race! Did Nick keep the wig from Norway as a memento?

Fran
Fran Posted Thu 08 Nov, 2012 9:53 PM Quote
We generally let the song lead us so the writing of those songs are key to how they will sound and we never start off with an idea of what these songs will sound like because the fun of writing is not knowing where the music or your voice will lead you. Music should be a blindfolded adventure. It shouldn't be a cerebral exercise. Thought is the enemy of art after all. Not to say that thought doesn't have a place. It does. Just not at inception. The thought process and dope music skillz are the last port of call on the journey and by that time the core of the song should be solid.
mcveighp wrote:
Did you guys have an album sound you were trying to connect with or was this a 100% new joruney for Travis, do you ever refer back to previous mixes or sessions & try to recreate that feel or mood!?

Pete

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 08 Nov, 2012 11:08 PM Quote
Meridith wrote:
Dozing off on the couch dad style...love it. Moms do it too I have found. :) Good luck with your race! Did Nick keep the wig from Norway as a memento?

Or the pony? :)

mcveighp
mcveighp Posted Thu 08 Nov, 2012 11:15 PM Quote
Really excited to hear it fran! I've enjoyed all the albums, but from what i've been reading there seems to be a whole other feeling around this album. I agree in terms of writing and that the song should lead you, I'm excited to hear the songs you've been talking about pushing your vocal. Love some of the earlier songs where you're at breaking point 'the line is fine' 'turn' etc..

See ya's in Belfast Lad!

Pete

deebee
deebee Posted Fri 09 Nov, 2012 10:44 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Meridith wrote:

Or the pony? :)

Hmmm he became quite attached to that little fella. It would have been tricky fitting him in the car even though he'd have been great company for his road trip!

the_invisible_fan
the_invisible_fan Posted Mon 12 Nov, 2012 8:27 PM Quote

Hey Fran, have you guys decided what is gonna be the name of the new album yet? Or is it gonna be "The Album With No Name" ? :)

Ana_Smith
Ana_Smith Posted Tue 13 Nov, 2012 8:28 PM Quote
Fran wrote:
We generally let the song lead us so the writing of those songs are key to how they will sound and we never start off with an idea of what these songs will sound like because the fun of writing is not knowing where the music or your voice will lead you. Music should be a blindfolded adventure. It shouldn't be a cerebral exercise. Thought is the enemy of art after all. Not to say that thought doesn't have a place. It does. Just not at inception. The thought process and dope music skillz are the last port of call on the journey and by that time the core of the song should be solid.

Since you seem to be in the mood for answering our questions, I have some of my own, if you don't mind. Here, I'll give it a shot.

As I was reading what you wrote about the creative process behind making a record, I was wondering two things. First, I remember that in the past you've changed some lyrics to adjust them to a certain piece of music and so I figure the resulting song is parted from its original conception and intention. How do you make such compromises, of the kind of meaning for sound? And secondly, have you been listening to any new music that sounds inspiring to you or do you try to avoid that before going into the recording studio? (You've probably been asked this question before but, in this particular case?)

Oh, speaking about the recording studio, I've also been wondering if you consider you have brought something different into the mix this time around after being apart for a while in your different side projects, at least with regard to making music as a team...

I hope you find a home for the record soon and that you're happy with any decision you should make in that respect. We'll be waiting. Cheers from an Uruguayan fan stranded in France ;)

Delia24Oct07
Delia24Oct07 Posted Wed 14 Nov, 2012 10:36 AM Quote
These are all very exciting news and I'm glad you're back home with the family and everyone seems to love the new album so far (especially you which is quite important, I guess...).

briandsutton
briandsutton Posted Wed 14 Nov, 2012 6:19 PM Quote
How Come Nora gets to hear the album already but not me? I won't make love to you but I'm a hell of a good cook and I will dance naked, surely that's worth a few songs.

mcveighp
mcveighp Posted Thu 15 Nov, 2012 12:06 AM Quote
Ana_Smith wrote:

have you been listening to any new music that sounds inspiring to you or do you try to avoid that before going into the recording studio? (You've probably been asked this question before but, in this particular case?)

Wanted to ask this also but didn't want to push ma luck! lol

Pete

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 8:51 AM