Travis

Olympics 2012
Sunny
Sunny Posted Thu 19 Jul, 2012 8:42 PM Quote

Pretty much everyone I speak to here in the UK is sick of hearing about it, don't want it and the current security crisis is downright embarrassing.

Is anyone looking forward to it and going to be watching?

Re: Olympics 2012
mili
mili Posted Thu 19 Jul, 2012 9:20 PM Quote
The planned border force staff strike is just unbelievable, not to mention other symbolic things going on. Apart from the organizational issues for entertainment, I'm not that interested, but I guess I'll be watching some highlights here and there. Of course I'll be rooting for the Travis-connected athlete Ms Childs ;^)

I just saw an old newsreel from the opening ceremony of the Helsinki Olympics 60 years ago today. It was all very grand and stiff, and my guess is, that there weren't as many security issues as the London games have. Coca Cola was introduced to my country then, and ready mixed cocktails were bottled for the use of bartenders, as it was feared that the Finnish bartenders wouldn't be able to mix drinks to suite the sophisticated tastes of the rest of the World.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Thu 19 Jul, 2012 9:41 PM Quote
mili wrote:

Coca Cola was introduced to my country then, and ready mixed cocktails were bottled for the use of bartenders, as it was feared that the Finnish bartenders wouldn't be able to mix drinks to suite the sophisticated tastes of the rest of the World.

What a cool fact. How things have changed.

I'll probably watch the tennis, but that's about it.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 19 Jul, 2012 10:23 PM Quote
The whole of Ireland is basically rooting for Katie Taylor in the womens boxing. She is good, in fact she's brilliant, head and shoulders above anyone else out there at the moment. However that's fair amount of pressure on one lassie, she's already talking of retiring after the games.

Dubz

mili
mili Posted Sun 22 Jul, 2012 5:49 PM Quote
I just got a few more targets to follow, Wiggins and Cavendish for cycling and for tradition's sake the Finnish javelin team.

Also, I just thought a better song to replace Macca at the opening ceremony, Editors' In This Light And On This Evening, because of the lyrics:
"I swear to God, I heard the Earth inhale,
moments before it spat its rain down on me.
I swear to God, in this light and on this evening,
London's become, the most beautiful thing I've seen. "

Sunny
Sunny Posted Mon 23 Jul, 2012 10:20 PM Quote

I'm going to the library on Wednesday and stocking up with a pile of books for the Olympic period seeing as loads of shows have an Olympic theme.

Heard Songs of Praise advertised yesterday as being Olympic-themed, just read Gardener's World on Friday is the same, etc, etc ...

THERE IS NO ESCAPE !!!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 23 Jul, 2012 11:29 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:

I'm going to the library on Wednesday and stocking up with a pile of books for the Olympic period seeing as loads of shows have an Olympic theme.

Heard Songs of Praise advertised yesterday as being Olympic-themed, just read Gardener's World on Friday is the same, etc, etc ...

THERE IS NO ESCAPE !!!

Can only imagine what it must be like living in England at the moment, I really can't be arsed ith the whole thing to be honest.

Dubz

rella
rella Posted Tue 24 Jul, 2012 4:17 PM Quote
Imagine

monkey
monkey Posted Wed 25 Jul, 2012 2:28 PM Quote
Dumfries will be 1 of only 2 locations in Scotland where you can watch the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympics live on a big screen on Friday 27 July.

A large screen will be installed at the Mid Steeple, on the High Street in Dumfries.

WHY?!?

I stay about a hundred yards from there and will not be going

Sunny
Sunny Posted Wed 25 Jul, 2012 9:12 PM Quote

Another

"why?!"

I bet no one puts anything into them for fear they are fake boxes.

mili
mili Posted Thu 26 Jul, 2012 8:47 AM Quote
Sunny wrote:

Another

"why?!"

According to my husband there's not going to be that many of the boxes painted, so no worries! Silly idea, anyways.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 26 Jul, 2012 4:10 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:

Another

"why?!"

How much does this cost ?? even simple logistics, per pillarbox say ...

£5 worth of undercoat/primer
£10 worth of Gold "Hammerite" type paint
£20 per hour to hire professional painter
Travelling to/from each box
Clear up/Preperation of each box

I reckon a painter/driver could do 5 or 6 of these a day (£250), say conservative estimate of £50 per pillar box, say 10,000 of these in London, Half a million quid... before profit because who ever gets the contract is gonna want a hefty slice, so say £1mill.

And of course after the games they'll have to be repainted Red so...

Dubz

mili
mili Posted Thu 26 Jul, 2012 5:40 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Sunny wrote:

Another

"why?!"

How much does this cost ?? even simple logistics, per pillarbox say ...

£5 worth of undercoat/primer
£10 worth of Gold "Hammerite" type paint
£20 per hour to hire professional painter
Travelling to/from each box
Clear up/Preperation of each box

I reckon a painter/driver could do 5 or 6 of these a day (£250), say conservative estimate of £50 per pillar box, say 10,000 of these in London, Half a million quid... before profit because who ever gets the contract is gonna want a hefty slice, so say £1mill.

And of course after the games they'll have to be repainted Red so...

Dubz

I think it's going to be quite cheap as they're only painting one box closest to the medal winner's home.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Fri 03 Aug, 2012 9:05 AM Quote
I for one freaking love the Olympics. Tension! Abs! Dramas! Random hilarious sports! What's not to love?

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 03 Aug, 2012 9:39 AM Quote
Tuned in to 10minutes of it last night, probably just unlucky but I doubt I'll be watching anymore.

Anthony Ogogo got his arse kicked in the boxing by the reigning Ukrainian, of course Ogogo being British and it being in London the judges decided he'd won. I thought this sh!t had stopped in the boxing, seriously that's practically every games in modern history.

Dubz

Pages [1] 2 3 4 5 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:22 PM