Travis

What is $5, €5, £5 worth where you live...
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 01 Apr, 2012 6:31 PM Quote
In Dublin it'll buy you...

1 Pint of Lager
4 Cans of Karpackie Polish Beer
2 and 1/2 loaves of sliced bread
6 Litres of Milk
40 Text Messages or 17minutes Talk Time(on a pre-pay Mobile phone)
5 Cans of Coke
2 nights Rental of a New Release DVD/Game
1 Trio, Chips, 3 Chicken Balls, Curry Sauce & Rice all in one tray(Chinese Takeaway)
2 Bags of Chips (Chip Shop Takeaway)
1 Bus/Train Return Journey from one end of Dublin to the other.
4 Newspapers
5 Hours Browsing in an Internet Cafe
Half a Big Mac Meal (Super Size)
3 Litres of Fuel for your Car

Dubz

Re: What is $5, €5, £5 worth where you live...
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 01 Apr, 2012 7:08 PM Quote
Detroit, Michigan, USA

2 gallons of milk. It's around $2.50 to 2.75 a gallon if you catch a good deal. I have seen it as high as $3.50 in some places, though. As gas prices rise, so the does the price of milk.
1 gallon of gas and some change back. Currently about $4 a gal.
2 loaves of bread.
5 cans of Coke
I'll have to check and see what a Supersize Big Mac Meal would be and add it in.

This is interesting. A cost of living calculator. I set it to compare Dublin to Detroit.
http://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/comparison/detroit/dublin

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sun 01 Apr, 2012 10:10 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

This is interesting. A cost of living calculator. I set it to compare Dublin to Detroit.
http://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/comparison/detroit/dublin

Hamilton is 8% more expensive than Detroit. The highest difference is that personal care is 55% more. Apparently your cold medication is very cheap, but your toilet paper is very expensive! Entertainment is way more expensive in the D though. I first put in Toronto and it and transportation is 74% more expensive than Detroit. Woah, gas prices here are ridic.

Toronto vs Hamilton. 16% cheaper to live in Hamilton, 45 minutes apart. Although weirdly, cold medicine is cheap there too. Why is cold medicine expensive here? Good thing I don't get sick.

London is 44% more expensive than Hamilton. Mama mia! Housing is 81% more expensive and transportation 89% more.

This is a fun game!

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sun 01 Apr, 2012 11:01 PM Quote
Buys one combat size Sierra Neveda and a small bag of pretzels...and you get change.. Wow milk cost more in Detroit then here

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 01 Apr, 2012 11:33 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
Buys one combat size Sierra Neveda and a small bag of pretzels...and you get change.. Wow milk cost more in Detroit then here

How much is it there?

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Mon 02 Apr, 2012 1:38 AM Quote
I compared Detroit to Seattle and the biggest difference was the housing, up 51%. I live in a city of about 9500 and even here, its pretty pricy for housing compared to other places like the midwest. You guys pay more for entertainment and clothes though.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 02 Apr, 2012 3:10 AM Quote
hennypenny wrote:
I compared Detroit to Seattle and the biggest difference was the housing, up 51%. I live in a city of about 9500 and even here, its pretty pricy for housing compared to other places like the midwest. You guys pay more for entertainment and clothes though.

Housing is pretty cheap in Detroit because everyone moved away since there are no jobs. My property value has plummeted in the last few years.

Edel
Edel Posted Mon 02 Apr, 2012 11:07 AM Quote
I tried that ex pat link as well as Dublin is 8% cheaper than Copenhagen and to compare here:

1 Pint of Lager = 1 pint of lager only during Happy Hour if youre lucky. One irish pub took 7.50 euro on Paddys Day and thats prob their normal price :0/
4 Cans of Karpackie Polish Beer = wouldnt know
2 and 1/2 loaves of sliced bread = 2 loaves of bread
6 Litres of Milk = 4 litres milk
40 Text Messages or 17minutes Talk Time(on a pre-pay Mobile phone)= dont know
5 Cans of Coke = 3.5 cans
2 nights Rental of a New Release DVD/Game = 1 night
1 Trio, Chips, 3 Chicken Balls, Curry Sauce & Rice all in one tray(Chinese Takeaway)= You'd prob get a china box thingy which is normally nuddles & chicken? I tend to keep away from these as too many accounts of food poisining.Love Chinese food, don't get me wrong but proper restaurant food is more expensive than these stalls
2 Bags of Chips (Chip Shop Takeaway)= 1 large
1 Bus/Train Return Journey from one end of Dublin to the other. = more or less the same
4 Newspapers = doubt youd even get 2 for that price here
5 Hours Browsing in an Internet Cafe = an hour??
Half a Big Mac Meal (Super Size)= same
3 Litres of Fuel for your Car = dunno

Now, no one is gonna come visit me right? ;0)

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Mon 02 Apr, 2012 3:34 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
ricv64 wrote:
Wow milk cost more in Detroit then here

How much is it there?

2.29 but often on sale for 1.99

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 1:13 AM