Travis

Techy Bandwidth Question
minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 02 Feb, 2012 11:02 PM Quote
Hi Friends. I have a question for any techies out there. For some reason, my bandwidth use is SUPER high. And internet costs in my country are stupid high. it is saying it is mostly coming from uploads, not downloads, but I havent been uploading as many pics lately and Im online a lot, but just at night as im at work all day. Any idea what the culprite is? Do you think a smart phone contributes to this?

Re: Techy Bandwidth Question
ricv64
ricv64 Posted Fri 03 Feb, 2012 6:09 PM Quote
I blame Bush... I mean Harper

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 03 Feb, 2012 7:03 PM Quote
You pay according to how much bandwidth you use? So your bill changes each month?

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 03 Feb, 2012 7:50 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
You pay according to how much bandwidth you use? So your bill changes each month?

no, but I have a cap and keep getting close to, or going over. The monopolies on telecommunication companies really need change. Our cell phone and internet costs are some of the highest in the world. If I go over, there is a change per gb.
You can't even get "unlimited" anymore. My parents have it because they have had the same service plan forever. I keep telling them that they are never ever allowed to change it, as they will immediately be charged double for half as much.

Ric, you are kinda right!

mili
mili Posted Fri 03 Feb, 2012 8:15 PM Quote
Wow, I couldn't cope with a limit for board band.
As for mobile phone data, I'm about to get unlimited use of that, the very good sales person sold me the same package as for my daughter, even though I don't own one of those really smart phones like she does. Oh well, at least I can check my emails and bus timetables for a fixed fee.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 03 Feb, 2012 8:49 PM Quote
mili wrote:
Wow, I couldn't cope with a limit for board band.
As for mobile phone data, I'm about to get unlimited use of that, the very good sales person sold me the same package as for my daughter, even though I don't own one of those really smart phones like she does. Oh well, at least I can check my emails and bus timetables for a fixed fee.

I never go over my phone allowance, but when I am home, it automatically switches over to my wireless, so it is using part of that limit as well. But I know nothing about this...like is a smart phone a bandwidth sucker? or does it use very little?

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 21 Feb, 2012 7:13 PM Quote
In case anyone remotely cares, I've been turning off the wireless switch on my laptop when not actually online, and when I checked last night, 3/4 of the way through the month, I was less than 40% through my bandwidth. SOMETHING WAS SUCKING BANDWIDTH WHEN I WASN'T LOOKING! I'm on to you, something!

mili
mili Posted Tue 21 Feb, 2012 10:32 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
In case anyone remotely cares, I've been turning off the wireless switch on my laptop when not actually online, and when I checked last night, 3/4 of the way through the month, I was less than 40% through my bandwidth. SOMETHING WAS SUCKING BANDWIDTH WHEN I WASN'T LOOKING! I'm on to you, something!

Are your security settings ok? Is somebody else able to log in to your wireless?

When I go to my wireless settings I can see tens of potential wi-fis, but most, if not all, are locked. My kids have occasionally been able to use somebody else's wi-fi, but I suppose that was ok, as most people here are on cable, and fixed rate.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 21 Feb, 2012 11:15 PM Quote
mili wrote:
minnmess wrote:

Are your security settings ok? Is somebody else able to log in to your wireless?

When I go to my wireless settings I can see tens of potential wi-fis, but most, if not all, are locked. My kids have occasionally been able to use somebody else's wi-fi, but I suppose that was ok, as most people here are on cable, and fixed rate.

mine is locked/password protected. So unless someone broke into it! But given that turning it off at my computer (not the wireless router itself) seems to have dramatically decreased the usage, I suspect it was me all along. I just dont know exactly what

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 2:59 PM