Travis

Re: Movies and Books I should have seen/read
minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 16 Jan, 2012 6:59 PM Quote
thewishlist wrote:
minnmess wrote:

I was rejecting your movies, not books :)

oh, ok, I'm ok with that! (Especially since I didn't mention all the silly comedies and costume "dramas" and chick-flicks I love *lol*)... I'm so not going to watch 50/50... or Temple Grandin... or Mildred Pearce :

why? (she asks only out of curiosity, with no judgment).

I want to see that new Tom Hanks 9/11 movie that opens here this weekend. Pretty sure I am going to cry like a toddler. And I think I'm going to see My Week With Marilyn tonight

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Mon 16 Jan, 2012 7:00 PM Quote
They made a movie outta both Siddartha and Steppenwolf . Very 1970's if you get my drift. Steppenwolf has Max Von Sydow in it . They use to double feature it at the Rep houses . They showed us Steppenwolf in High School

the trailer steppenwolf

siddartha

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Mon 16 Jan, 2012 7:12 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
thewishlist wrote:
minnmess wrote:

oh, ok, I'm ok with that! (Especially since I didn't mention all the silly comedies and costume "dramas" and chick-flicks I love *lol*)... I'm so not going to watch 50/50... or Temple Grandin... or Mildred Pearce :

I want to see that new Tom Hanks 9/11 movie that opens here this weekend. Pretty sure I am going to cry like a toddler. And I think I'm going to see My Week With Marilyn tonight

why don't I want to watch those movies? well, I really really really don't want to see a guy getting sicker and sicker on screen. nope. not keen on cancer stories. and Mildred Pierce just doesn't seem like a story I'd like (in fact I'm pretty sure I'd dislike it). Aaaand Temple Grandin... eh... I guess in this case, I'd rather read a book on the real person.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 16 Jan, 2012 7:29 PM Quote
thewishlist wrote:
minnmess wrote:
thewishlist wrote:
minnmess wrote:

why don't I want to watch those movies? well, I really really really don't want to see a guy getting sicker and sicker on screen. nope. not keen on cancer stories. and Mildred Pierce just doesn't seem like a story I'd like (in fact I'm pretty sure I'd dislike it). Aaaand Temple Grandin... eh... I guess in this case, I'd rather read a book on the real person.

fair enough. If it makes any difference, I've been told 50/50 will make you cry AND laugh. I'm 782 on the list at the library, so I will let you know in a year or 2 :)
It made me happy that after all these years, there were 12 requests for P&P still. Everyone loves the Firth

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 18 Jan, 2012 3:24 PM Quote
Beauty and the Beast the 1946 French one that Disney lifted from

trailer

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Wed 18 Jan, 2012 4:58 PM Quote
oh I forgot to say that I got "Downton Abbey" from the library, too :)

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 07 Feb, 2012 11:08 PM Quote
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/08/Hero_poster.jpg/220px-Hero_poster.jpg

Recently rewatched this . I forgot what a lesson in color usage this was

red leaves fight

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Sun 12 Feb, 2012 3:17 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
Kill Bill are great, but probably guy movies ;)

I totally disagree with this statement.

edit: not totally. the latter part :)

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Mon 13 Feb, 2012 12:37 AM Quote
Since Norweigen wood is fresh in my mind , same director

cyclo

vertical rays of the sun

scent of green papaya

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sat 18 Feb, 2012 5:21 PM Quote
http://i2.listal.com/image/185096/600full-in-the-heat-of-the-night-poster.jpg

Fans of the Walking Dead may spot the kindly doctor in what must be one of his early roles

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Fri 24 Feb, 2012 2:19 PM Quote
BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES

trailer

http://www.und.edu/org/greatplains/images/obrien_clip_image003.jpg

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sat 25 Feb, 2012 4:02 AM Quote
thewishlist wrote:
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
How about Into The Wild?

Nooo, that's a TERRIBLE movie! a terrible terrible story! I think it sends the worst possible message, it's misanthropic... maaaaan that guy made me ANGRY, you wouldn't believe it! when I went to see it, I already knew how it'd end and everything, but I never would've thought they turned it into such a terrible piece...

INTO THE WILD SPOILERS

I watched it tonight. I fall somewhere in between the opionion of the Swede and the German. The movie itself is okay. Well acted. But I don't really get why Chris/Alex is seen as a hero. Aimless wandering is great, but at some point you are just a moron. a dead moron.

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Wed 29 Feb, 2012 7:27 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
thewishlist wrote:
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
How about Into The Wild?

Nooo, that's a TERRIBLE movie! a terrible terrible story! I think it sends the worst possible message, it's misanthropic... maaaaan that guy made me ANGRY, you wouldn't believe it! when I went to see it, I already knew how it'd end and everything, but I never would've thought they turned it into such a terrible piece...

INTO THE WILD SPOILERS

I watched it tonight. I fall somewhere in between the opionion of the Swede and the German. The movie itself is okay. Well acted. But I don't really get why Chris/Alex is seen as a hero. Aimless wandering is great, but at some point you are just a moron. a dead moron.

I have to admit the Canadian is right: it's well acted. if it wasn't, I probably would've forgotten all about the dead moron (!) within a few weeks. So, the actors are great, but the message/storytelling is all wrong. I know quite a few people who think what the moron did was great and brave and oh so heroic, but in the end, I didn't really care for the moron himself, but for all the people he disappointed & left behind. and for the moose. I'll never be able to forget the dead moose and *eww*...

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 29 Feb, 2012 9:39 PM Quote
thewishlist wrote:
minnmess wrote:
thewishlist wrote:
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
How about Into The Wild?

INTO THE WILD SPOILERS

I have to admit the Canadian is right: it's well acted. if it wasn't, I probably would've forgotten all about the dead moron (!) within a few weeks. So, the actors are great, but the message/storytelling is all wrong. I know quite a few people who think what the moron did was great and brave and oh so heroic, but in the end, I didn't really care for the moron himself, but for all the people he disappointed & left behind. and for the moose. I'll never be able to forget the dead moose and *eww*...

I tweeted whilst watching it "WHY DIDNT ANYONE WARN ME ABOUT THE MOOSE???" i covered my eyes

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Fri 02 Mar, 2012 6:54 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:

I tweeted whilst watching it "WHY DIDNT ANYONE WARN ME ABOUT THE MOOSE???" i covered my eyes

I've been trying to erase those scenes off my brain for 4 years now...

Pages Previous 1...3 4 5 6 [7] All Times BST Current Time 11:41 PM