Travis

Re: Movies and Books I should have seen/read
TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Tue 10 Jan, 2012 9:20 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
If you like arty stuff outside the box I can recommend "The Wall". that's "must see" in my book, maybe because I'm a music nerd.

I haven't seen that, but I've heard it has a lot of symbolism that I might not understand, not being a die-hard Floyder.

I haven't seen "A Hard Day's Night" either. I've always wanted to see it.

A lot of symbolism and a lot of Floyd ;)

Acrosse The Universe is good as well I've heard, must see that one.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 10 Jan, 2012 9:31 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:

Acrosse The Universe is good as well I've heard, must see that one.

it's okay. Some people HATE it. I like attractive boys singing Beatles songs, so it's okay. BUT SKIP THE BONO SCENE> it is so so so awful.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 10 Jan, 2012 9:43 PM Quote
I was flipping radio stations and "The Wall" came on. My son said, "Mommy, this song is scaring me."

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 10 Jan, 2012 9:46 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
If you like arty stuff outside the box I can recommend "The Wall". that's "must see" in my book, maybe because I'm a music nerd.

The Wall isn't a film/movie, it's a 90minute music video, tied together with the thinnest of plot lines. It's great if you like Floyd, otherwise don't bother.

Also going by your top tens and all your tastes/previous posts, I would say you're a "Rawk" Music Nerd. As a true music nerd knows a lot about all types, rather than a specific area.

I'd actually recommend watching "Live in Pompeii" a better performance and less convoluted, or sticking with your tastes "The Last Waltz".

but again these are just my views...

Dubz

mili
mili Posted Tue 10 Jan, 2012 9:57 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:

It was a great experience to see it at the cinema at the time, kept expecting to see marching hammers around the corner, but it rather spoilt the album for me, destroyed all my own images. I should try to see it again, though, as I've since got familiar with the platform in the film, and I now know one of the boy extras there, too, lol.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Tue 10 Jan, 2012 10:00 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
TheBoyWithAName wrote:

Also going by your top tens and all your tastes/previous posts, I would say you're a "Rawk" Music Nerd. As a true music nerd knows a lot about all types, rather than a specific area.

Dubz

I can live with that title ;) I mostly listen to rock[include everything from arena rock to psychadelic rock and hard rock) and oldies, even though I mix it with some other stuff from time to time.

The plot in The Wall is told through the lyrics and in the moving pictures and it's up to the observer to find it. I still think it's good, but as you said, it's probably because I like the Floyd.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 10 Jan, 2012 10:05 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
TheBoyWithAName wrote:

Dubz

I can live with that title ;) I mostly listen to rock[include everything from arena rock to psychadelic rock and hard rock) and oldies, even though I mix it with some other stuff from time to time.

The plot in The Wall is told through the lyrics and in the moving pictures and it's up to the observer to find it. I still think it's good, but as you said, it's probably because I like the Floyd.

So you have to look for the deeper meaning, hmmmm This is why I think it's actually a bad idea to convert "concept" albums to film, as Mili mentions it spoils the illusion that you create for yourself, For example Quadrophenia is an amazing album but just an allright film, Tommy is much the same. That's why I feel if it's about the band then you are probably better watching an unadulterated performance such as Live in Pompeii.

Dubz

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 10 Jan, 2012 11:14 PM Quote
I didn't care for The Last Waltz.....Citizen Kane is like DaVinci or Chuck Berry . They all borrowed from previous people and weren't perfect but their influence was phenomenal . Wells told a fractured story with over the top camera work .

There should be a Bend it like Beckham hockey remake , Get the puck like Datsyuk

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 11 Jan, 2012 1:10 AM Quote
ricv64 wrote:

There should be a Bend it like Beckham hockey remake , Get the puck like Datsyuk

that was a horrible attempt at a hockey term.

Watch The Rocket. You need no other hockey movie. Or, emm...Mighty Ducks :)

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Wed 11 Jan, 2012 5:34 AM Quote
Run Lola Run! I've always wanted to see this one. Thanks for the mention Lili. I will add it to my queu.

I'm so glad I have Netflix, because while I'm waiting for a movie in the mail, I can watch other ones streaming online.

Some of my recommendations:

Heathers-I've watched this alot lately. Its one of the best dark comedies I've seen. So totally 80's and has great quotable lines. Who knew teen suicide could be funny?
The Bourne Trilogy-I usually don't care for action movies that much, but these are the best I've seen.
Sommersault
Intermission
On The Waterfront
Pride & Prejudice

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Wed 11 Jan, 2012 9:47 AM Quote
:)

what version of Pride&Prejudice? ;) The Colin Firth one or the Matthew McThingy one? Oh man, the discussions I've had to endure at college whenever the "P&P" question came up *lol*

Across the Universe is a nice film (Jim Sturgess...*swoon*) - but I agree with Kristy, skip the Bono scene(s)!

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 11 Jan, 2012 1:37 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:

that was a horrible attempt at a hockey term.

Watch The Rocket. You need no other hockey movie. Or, emm...Mighty Ducks :)

SLAPSHOT ?

They gave me the soccer channel last year . I'm done with it's surrogate hockey...

Real Madrid all the way

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Wed 11 Jan, 2012 4:40 PM Quote
thewishlist wrote:
ok, right... here comes my list of must-reads (part 1) ;P

- at least one novel by Charles Dickens (Great Expectations, Oliver Twist, Hard Times)
- Jane Austen: Emma
- William Dean Howells: A Hazard of New Fortunes
- John Fowles: The French Lieutenant's Woman
- Alan Bennett: The Uncommon Reader
- Nick Hornby: High Fidelity
- Jonathan Safran Foer: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
- Stephen Chbosky: The Perks of Being a Wallflower
- Sten Nadolny: The Discovery of Slowness
- Hermann Hesse: Demian
- Max Frisch: Homo Faber
- Michael Ende: Momo
- Otfried Preussler: Krabat
- Rafik Schami: A Hand Full of Stars
- Fyodor Dostoevsky: The Idiot
- Milan Kundera: The Unbearable Lightness of Being
- Chingiz Aitmatov: Jamilia

to be continued... ;)

---
ok part 1-and-a-half:

Mark Twain: The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
Jonathan Tropper: How to Talk to a Widower
Kate Fox: Watching the English
Danny Wallace: Yes Man
Leonie Swann: Three Bags Full (it's a sheep detective story. need I say more? it's awesome. author is German, btw, but it's set in Ireland ;D)

I'd add Goethe (Sorrows of Young Werther, Faust), but Goethe in English? guess that wouldn't make much sense...

more! :

E.T.A. Hoffmann: The Golden Pot: A Modern Fairytale
Henry James: Daisy Miller
Frank McCourt: Angela's Ashes
Daniel Kehlmann: Measuring the World
Virginia Woolf: Mrs Dalloway

---
that's it, I think... for now.
---

How about we all pick 10 books and/or 10 films from other people's lists to read/watch in 2012?

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Wed 11 Jan, 2012 4:41 PM Quote
I will definitely watch Acrosse The Universe then :) And I hate Bono so...

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 11 Jan, 2012 4:44 PM Quote
thewishlist wrote:

more! :

E.T.A. Hoffmann: The Golden Pot: A Modern Fairytale
Henry James: Daisy Miller
Frank McCourt: Angela's Ashes
Daniel Kehlmann: Measuring the World
Virginia Woolf: Mrs Dalloway

---
that's it, I think... for now.
---

How about we all pick 10 books and/or 10 films from other people's lists to read/watch in 2012?

This is a very good idea, sorta ongoing class project. Perhaps we could also report back on what we thought of them.

Dubz

Pages Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Next All Times BST Current Time 7:41 PM