Travis

Re: Movies and Books I should have seen/read
minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 09 Jan, 2012 9:36 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
Seems like you have some to do Kristy ;)

That's fine; I don't have much of a life.
And I have seen/read some of what has been posted. And plan to ignore some of it :)

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Mon 09 Jan, 2012 10:22 PM Quote
thewishlist wrote:
ricv64 wrote:
thewishlist wrote:

- Hermann Hesse: Demian

Stepppenwolf

Siddartha

Narcissus and Goldmund

Never was able to finish the Glass bead game ..

Yes! Siddhartha, Steppenwolf & Narciss and Goldmund! Never read the Glass Bead Game (Glasperlenspiel :) )*... I picked Demian because it was the first Hesse novel I ever read :)

Beneath the wheel is good too

For movies ,
Andrei Rublev , best movie about an artist I've seen

Same director made

STALKER

Yo soy Cuba ...GROUNDBREAKING

The following by Kurosawa

Ran

The idiot

Stray Dog

the bad sleep well

seven samuri

yojimbo

Sanjuro

throne of blood

The Hidden Fortress, the inspiration for Star Wars

Dersu Uzala

Dodesukaden

Kagemusha

Dreams

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Tue 10 Jan, 2012 2:14 AM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
We could start a project and work our way through the Top 100 films. We've probably already seen quite a few of them, so it wouldn't take that long.

http://www.afi.com/100years/movies10.aspx

Well i've seen 27. Thats more than I thought it would be.

I haven't seen the Lord of the Rings trilogy and don't plan to. I have read and seen the Twilight books and movies. Basically because it takes place near where I live.

I will read through all of your book lists for ideas. I need to read more.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 10 Jan, 2012 9:28 AM Quote
I've watched about 64 of these, there are about another 10 I'd like to see and the rest can feck off.

Dubz

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Tue 10 Jan, 2012 11:10 AM Quote
I'm going to be nice and name only "a few" German movies that people should've seen ;P - I couldn't pick my favourite one because I think it's never been dubbed...guess it wouldn't make sense to dub a movie that gets its appeal/charm from Bavarian dialect *lol* (mh... IMDB says the English title is "Grave Decisions": http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780180/

- The Lives of Others
- The Edukators
- Almanya
- Beyond Silence
- Good-Bye Lenin
- Sun Alley
- Europa Europa
- Nowhere in Africa
- Run Lola Run
- Wings of Desire (NOT the same as City of Angels [which, btw, is on my "most awful movies of all times" list, partly because Nicolas Cage is in it...])
- The White Ribbon
- Downfall should be on the list, too...

And I would love to add Manitou's Shoe to the list... it's been dubbed, but I'm pretty sure it's not funny in English... it's a bit like a Mel Brooks movie, I guess... a spoof of the Western genre but mostly of (ahem) German Westerns and Karl May stories...

mili
mili Posted Tue 10 Jan, 2012 12:04 PM Quote
Let's recommend something Finnish, then:

Steam of Life, a documentary of men in various saunas talking about life + a tame bear…
Man Without a Past, or most of the other Aki Kaurismäki's films. I haven't seen his latest, Le Havre, yet.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 10 Jan, 2012 12:11 PM Quote
Okay...

Comfort and Joy
Restless Natives
My Name is Joe
Only a Boy's Game
Leaving
Local Hero

Dubz

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Tue 10 Jan, 2012 1:42 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Okay...

Comfort and Joy
Restless Natives
My Name is Joe
Only a Boy's Game
Leaving
Local Hero

Dubz

Woohoo, I've seen 4 of those ;)
---

What about...

- Sweet Sixteen
- Dear Frankie
- Seachd
- Wilbur Wants to Kill Himself
- On a Clear Day (not really a must-see film, I guess, but Peter Mullan is in it)

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 10 Jan, 2012 1:58 PM Quote
mili wrote:
Let's recommend something Finnish, then:

Steam of Life, a documentary of men in various saunas talking about life + a tame bear…
Man Without a Past, or most of the other Aki Kaurismäki's films. I haven't seen his latest, Le Havre, yet.

the pathfinder

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 10 Jan, 2012 2:10 PM Quote
thewishlist wrote:
I'm going to be nice and name only "a few" German movies that people should've seen ;P - I couldn't pick my favourite one because I think it's never been dubbed...guess it wouldn't make sense to dub a movie that gets its appeal/charm from Bavarian dialect *lol* (mh... IMDB says the English title is "Grave Decisions": http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780180/

- The Lives of Others
- The Edukators
- Almanya
- Beyond Silence
- Good-Bye Lenin
- Sun Alley
- Europa Europa
- Nowhere in Africa
- Run Lola Run
- Wings of Desire (NOT the same as City of Angels [which, btw, is on my "most awful movies of all times" list, partly because Nicolas Cage is in it...])
- The White Ribbon

And I would love to add Manitou's Shoe to the list... it's been dubbed, but I'm pretty sure it's not funny in English... it's a bit like a Mel Brooks movie, I guess... a spoof of the Western genre but mostly of (ahem) German Westerns and Karl May stories...

It is difficult for me to see foreign films. I don't have Netflix and my little neighborhood video store is not going to have them. Unless any of these are on YouTube and subtitled, I probably won't be able to see them.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 10 Jan, 2012 2:26 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
thewishlist wrote:

- The Lives of Others
- The Edukators
- Almanya
- Beyond Silence
- Good-Bye Lenin
- Sun Alley
- Europa Europa
- Nowhere in Africa
- Run Lola Run
- The White Ribbon

It is difficult for me to see foreign films. I don't have Netflix and my little neighborhood video store is not going to have them. Unless any of these are on YouTube and subtitled, I probably won't be able to see them.

I concur. The bankruptcy of Blockbuster has made things more difficult. I don't like (illegally) downloading movies, but maybe I should look into the itunes rental route. And use my library more for movies.

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Tue 10 Jan, 2012 2:47 PM Quote
:( that's a pity...
I think all of them have subtitles and at least some of them were dubbed in English (Wings of Desire, Run Lola Run, Beyond Silence), but I guess a small video store won't have any of them...

P.S.: I'm usually not a fan of German movies, btw. ;) The ones I listed are pretty much the only ones I like, I think...

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 10 Jan, 2012 2:55 PM Quote
Yeah, foreign films are just not easily accessible here. Foreign films are usually shown at museums or weird theaters no one has ever heard of and the movies they show are usually very "artsy."

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 10 Jan, 2012 4:04 PM Quote
trust me , see the Hidden Fortress and you'll see a better Star Wars

hidden fortress

even the score is similier

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Tue 10 Jan, 2012 4:10 PM Quote
ok, non-English-language films aside*

- The Queen
- Charlie Wilson's War
- Frost/Nixon
- Slumdog Millionaire
- Billy Elliot
- Roman Holiday
- Dear Frankie
- Corpse Bride
- Wallace & Gromit and the Curse of the Were Rabbit
- Mansfield Park
- Match Point
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone ;)
- Gosford Park
- Little Miss Sunshine
- Land of Plenty
- The Full Monty
- My Life Without Me
- The King's Speech

* except one more! I forgot "Mostly Martha! One of my favourite movies. (You can watch it on youtube, too. At least I think you can...) - Some Hollywood people decided to do an awful awful remake with Catherine Zeta Jones and Aaron Eckart [No Reservations] that has basically the same dialogue but is just a crappy film...

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next All Times UTC Current Time 10:21 AM