Travis

Re: Movies and Books I should have seen/read
minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 09 Jan, 2012 6:00 PM Quote
thewishlist wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
We could start a project and work our way through the Top 100 films. We've probably already seen quite a few of them, so it wouldn't take that long.

http://www.afi.com/100years/movies10.aspx

that project would take me aaages... ;)

ha, I'm at about 12. A few more that i've half soon. This seems like a good sit on my bum project. But Im leaving out things I don't really care about

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 09 Jan, 2012 6:28 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
thewishlist wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
We could start a project and work our way through the Top 100 films. We've probably already seen quite a few of them, so it wouldn't take that long.

http://www.afi.com/100years/movies10.aspx

that project would take me aaages... ;)

ha, I'm at about 12. A few more that i've half soon. This seems like a good sit on my bum project. But Im leaving out things I don't really care about

I've seen 32, and I see lots on the list that I would like to see.

I don't think you should leave out the movies you think won't interest you. Some are like medicine. They're just "good for you" because they are referenced so much in society. For instance, you may know "Luke, I am your father," is from Star Wars, but until you have seen the movie and experience that moment, it won't have the same meaning for you. You won't like Star Wars unless you saw it for the first time when you are 7, but you should still see the original 3. I forced myself to sit through Lord of the Rings and I hated all 3, but now at least I understand when people talk about it. Same with The Godfather. I hated them, but now I get Godfather jokes.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 09 Jan, 2012 7:13 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

I don't think you should leave out the movies you think won't interest you. Some are like medicine. They're just "good for you" because they are referenced so much in society. For instance, you may know "Luke, I am your father," is from Star Wars, but until you have seen the movie and experience that moment, it won't have the same meaning for you. You won't like Star Wars unless you saw it for the first time when you are 7, but you should still see the original 3. I forced myself to sit through Lord of the Rings and I hated all 3, but now at least I understand when people talk about it. Same with The Godfather. I hated them, but now I get Godfather jokes.

But I get a great deal of joy out of the reactions to "I've never seen Star Wars" etc. I don't think I'm willing to trade 10 hours of my life for that.

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Mon 09 Jan, 2012 7:17 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

But I get a great deal of joy out of the reactions to "I've never seen Star Wars" etc. I don't think I'm willing to trade 10 hours of my life for that.

I'm certainly not going to watch Star Wars. Neither will I ever watch Jaws.

ALSO, I think we should find an international list. American movies aren't the only (good) ones out there, you know ;P and I insist that people watch British and French and Spanish and, yes, also German (etc etc) productions, too, if I have to watch even half of the stuff on the AFI list :P

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 09 Jan, 2012 7:25 PM Quote
thewishlist wrote:
minnmess wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I'm certainly not going to watch Star Wars. Neither will I ever watch Jaws.

ALSO, I think we should find an international list. American movies aren't the only (good) ones out there, you know ;P and I insist that people watch British and French and Spanish and, yes, also German (etc etc) productions, too, if I have to watch even half of the stuff on the AFI list :P

Should I start a Canadian list? There are about 3 of them :P
I'd watch Jaws. I think ive seen some of it, but never start to finish

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Mon 09 Jan, 2012 7:31 PM Quote
thewishlist wrote:

- Hermann Hesse: Demian

Stepppenwolf

Siddartha

Narcissus and Goldmund

Never was able to finish the Glass bead game ..

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 09 Jan, 2012 7:40 PM Quote
Jaws probably seems ridiculous now because of how lame the special effects are, but I was a kid when it came out and I found it quite scary. Especially with the music.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 09 Jan, 2012 7:42 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:

But I get a great deal of joy out of the reactions to "I've never seen Star Wars" etc.

The same joy I get when I tell people I've never tasted coffee.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 09 Jan, 2012 7:54 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
minnmess wrote:

But I get a great deal of joy out of the reactions to "I've never seen Star Wars" etc.

The same joy I get when I tell people I've never tasted coffee.

You should really be applauded for raising 3 kids with no coffee. I can't even raise myself without it.

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Mon 09 Jan, 2012 8:10 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:

Mambo Italiano!
My Life Without Me!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 09 Jan, 2012 8:13 PM Quote
thewishlist wrote:
minnmess wrote:

Mambo Italiano!
My Life Without Me!

Meatballs! (ahaha, it was the highest grossing CDN film for a long time!)
But my 2 favs are The Rocket and Bon Cop Bad Cop. I don't know that either would appeal to a non Canadian audience though. A lot about hockey, and english/french relations.

Oh and One Week is good too. Staring Pacey himself, Joshua Jackson.

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Mon 09 Jan, 2012 8:21 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
thewishlist wrote:

- Hermann Hesse: Demian

Stepppenwolf

Siddartha

Narcissus and Goldmund

Never was able to finish the Glass bead game ..

Yes! Siddhartha, Steppenwolf & Narciss and Goldmund! Never read the Glass Bead Game (Glasperlenspiel :) )*... I picked Demian because it was the first Hesse novel I ever read :)

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Mon 09 Jan, 2012 8:38 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:

Oh and One Week is good too. Staring Pacey himself, Joshua Jackson.

never heard of those other films, but I actually saw One Week just a few weeks ago (on dvd, from our library) ;)

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Mon 09 Jan, 2012 8:46 PM Quote
Seems like you have some to do Kristy ;)

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Mon 09 Jan, 2012 9:34 PM Quote
How about The Green Mile? It's one of my favourite films and a must see I say.

Btw I'm thiiiiiiiiiiis close to go to Canada and force you to watch Star Wars.

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Times BST Current Time 2:35 PM