Travis

Re: Today's News of YOU (part 3)
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 13 May, 2012 7:48 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
I took ownership of my mom's old bike today and shined it up. It has an old black bag attached to the handle bars and a letter rack on the back for taking mail to the mail box. I've never seen another one of those. I remember riding around the neighborhood in a baby seat on that bike. Inside the bag I found a 1969 $1 bill and some change from 1970.

That is so cool! I love vintage bikes.

Speaking of vintage and moms, mine constantly says things like "Oh I used to have a pleated/plaid/lace dress/skirt/blouse with a collar/purse/earrings like that in the '70s!" - usually while pointing to a picture of something amazing in Elle magazine. I then get excited and she adds "...but I threw it away because it wasn't in fashion anymore." Awww mom.

Fashions are like that. Things go out long enough for you to think they'll never come back in style, you get rid of it, and then it comes back again! But usually slightly different. I had a few cool 50's/60's pieces from my mom that I wore in the 80's, though. Also, I wouldn't have been caught dead riding my mom's bike as a teenager because it looked like an old lady bike, but now it's cool. Go figure.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 17 May, 2012 2:54 AM Quote
Played hockey tonight for the first time in over a year and a half. woah

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 17 May, 2012 8:04 PM Quote
I got paid to watch TV for a media study and then used the money to buy some new clothes for my trip to NYC.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 18 May, 2012 2:18 AM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
I got paid to watch TV for a media study and then used the money to buy some new clothes for my trip to NYC.

sometimes i hate you

rella
rella Posted Mon 21 May, 2012 1:09 PM Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hhwA7wreMM&feature=channel

i like le rĂªve the best

mili
mili Posted Mon 21 May, 2012 7:37 PM Quote
This should be the 500th message in this thread!
It's summer here today, I went cycling in capris and sandals. Tried to see a Black swan my husband saw at a bay nearby, but it was already gone. Black swans don't belong to Northern European nature, so it was probably a stray bird from a zoo or something like that.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sat 26 May, 2012 2:29 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
weirdmom wrote:

sometimes i hate you

I know.

Today my choir is doing the national anthem before a roller derby bout. So, a completely normal day.

mili
mili Posted Sat 26 May, 2012 3:26 PM Quote
Woke up to the news of another shooting incident in Finland, late last night in a small town not far from where I live. A 18 year old man shot 2 dead and injured 7. Nobody knows why, maybe the police will find out. They've been talking to him all day.
It's a wonderful summer's day, it just doesn't make any sense to be killing people in random.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Sun 27 May, 2012 5:01 PM Quote
So. It looks like I'll have a new, 26 years younger cousin. Tee hee. It cracks me up so much, this kid's niece will be 3 years older! I also like how it gives me an excuse for my grandkids-obsessed mother: "Mom, your generation is still having babies. Take a chill pill." haha

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sun 27 May, 2012 8:37 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
So. It looks like I'll have a new, 26 years younger cousin. Tee hee. It cracks me up so much, this kid's niece will be 3 years older! I also like how it gives me an excuse for my grandkids-obsessed mother: "Mom, your generation is still having babies. Take a chill pill." haha

how do you say chill pill in Polish, Polka (Megg taught me that Polka means Polish woman!)?

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 28 May, 2012 8:31 AM Quote
I've had an "interesting" few weeks...

I'm "barred" from Social Welfare for 9 Weeks due to being sacked, this may result in me losing my flat as I'm unable to pay the rent/bills.

I had an alcoholic girlfriend for a few weeks (now I understand what my ex's put up with), she had a DT seizure in here last week, scared the shit outta me but I helped her, got her back on her feet, made her believe in herself, gave her something to look forward to, re-connected her with her family kept her sober for 5 days but it was all to no avail as she slipped straight back into Alco mode, I had to kick her ass to the kerb yesterday, she spent the rest of the day/evening rattling the door and calling me, I eventually had to get the Guardai to deal with her...

I'm begining to doubt myself, maybe I've been kidding myself for the last few years, Since I lost my job at the Law Society, maybe I've been fucking around, even The Boat was just a blip on an otherwise downward slope. Maybe it's time to start considering a move back to Scotland?...

Dubz

monkey
monkey Posted Mon 28 May, 2012 2:22 PM Quote
Its been a while so just thought i'd pop in and see how all you wonderful boardies (and swede boy) are getting on. Only joking pal, good to see you on the board.

Really feel for you Dubz, in a bit of a similar situation myself. My work are making redundancies and slashing hours and it's causing lots of problems. I'm not earning enough to cover rent, leccy bills etc BUT i'm apparently making enough to not qualify for any financial support.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 28 May, 2012 5:22 PM Quote
Good to see you around dude.

That's a shit buzz, was much the same myself would have made more money on the dole than working but...

On another note, Google "Glove and Boots 10 reasons we hate Facebook" it's worth the watching !

Dubz

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 29 May, 2012 4:07 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

I'm begining to doubt myself, maybe I've been kidding myself for the last few years, Since I lost my job at the Law Society, maybe I've been fucking around, even The Boat was just a blip on an otherwise downward slope. Maybe it's time to start considering a move back to Scotland?...

Dubz

That might be a wise choice, providing you have a plan in place and people who can be a support system to you. The same problems will be wherever you go. You have to decide what you want out of life, plan it and pursue it, and hopefully have people around you who will lift you up instead of drag you down.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Wed 30 May, 2012 3:30 PM Quote
Yeah, I agree with Kayte. Think this through before you decide. It might be a good idea but most definitely don't let yourself think it's going to be any easier there. Job and money wise it's the same nightmare everywhere, believe me. Having said that, if you can count on more support from family/friends in Scotland (I don't necessarily mean financial help), it sounds like something worth at least considering.

PS Andrew, this really sucks... I feel for you, fingers crossed the situation will improve quickly!

Pages Previous 1...30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 Next All Times BST Current Time 7:18 PM