Travis

Re: Today's News of YOU (part 3)
thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Sun 27 Nov, 2011 5:35 PM Quote
oh man, FAMILY. they're supposed to be supportive!
what about your friends? I kind of hate meeting my working friends right now, so I come up with dumb excuses every time they call... it's so stupid, really, but I just don't have the energy anymore...

and the worst thing is: my confidence-level is so low now that I can't even remember what I'm good at anymore. In fact, when I think about it I don't think I've ever been exceptionally good at anything. I've always done what I was expected to do: good grades at school - check. get internships - check. get positive references - check. go abroad - check. get a degree - check...
find a job - ???
most people in my family have a real passion and matching talents (mostly art related). I like stuff, but I've never had a real "talent" for anything...

Sunny
Sunny Posted Sun 27 Nov, 2011 7:36 PM Quote

RIP Gary

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01988/Gary-Speed_1988881c.jpg

Such a shock.
I came past Elland Road on my way home tonight where there were flowers being laid at the Billy Bremner statue.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Sun 27 Nov, 2011 8:16 PM Quote
thewishlist wrote:
oh man, FAMILY. they're supposed to be supportive!
what about your friends? I kind of hate meeting my working friends right now, so I come up with dumb excuses every time they call... it's so stupid, really, but I just don't have the energy anymore...

and the worst thing is: my confidence-level is so low now that I can't even remember what I'm good at anymore. In fact, when I think about it I don't think I've ever been exceptionally good at anything. I've always done what I was expected to do: good grades at school - check. get internships - check. get positive references - check. go abroad - check. get a degree - check...
find a job - ???
most people in my family have a real passion and matching talents (mostly art related). I like stuff, but I've never had a real "talent" for anything...

My friends are awesome, very patient to my ramblings and supportive - can't complain in this department! But obviously it's hard to answer the question "have you found anything yet?" with a "no" for a 2467886th time.

Yes!! Lily, exactly! I feel the same - as if everyone: parents, teachers, etc. - have been lying to me my whole life (with all the good grades and stuff) as obviously I'm not good enough at anything to be paid for any job! It's freaking terrifying. And same with a talent - one of my cousins is great at playing piano, she actually studies composing etc., other ones are amazing at sports. I'm good at...reading? lol

P.S. Thanks again, all the super patient boardies for all the kind words and support - it's really important! You're the best.

mili
mili Posted Sun 27 Nov, 2011 9:06 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:

RIP Gary

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01988/Gary-Speed_1988881c.jpg

Such a shock.
I came past Elland Road on my way home tonight where there were flowers being laid at the Billy Bremner statue.

Shocking news! I've even seen the man play, and I'm not the greatest football fan… The resident Leeds fan is really upset.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 28 Nov, 2011 6:42 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:

Yes!! Lily, exactly! I feel the same - as if everyone: parents, teachers, etc. - have been lying to me my whole life (with all the good grades and stuff) as obviously I'm not good enough at anything to be paid for any job! It's freaking terrifying. And same with a talent - one of my cousins is great at playing piano, she actually studies composing etc., other ones are amazing at sports. I'm good at...reading? lol

[/quote]

ah yes, the ongoing struggle to figure out what to do with your life when you don't actually have a marketable talent! I've always been super jealous of those people who knew they wanted to be doctos, lawyers, teachers, strippers, actions from the time they were children, and have the skills to back it up.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Mon 28 Nov, 2011 6:56 PM Quote
Well, I've known from the age of 13 that I want to work in human rights but it failed miserably.

PS
Q: How many days does it take for a person to start smoking again after 2 years of not even being tempted after moving back to their parents?

A: 5.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 28 Nov, 2011 8:20 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
Q: How many days does it take for a person to start smoking again after 2 years of not even being tempted after moving back to their parents?

Q: Who didn't know that Megg was a smoker and now wants to take back her (kooky) cookie?

A: me! :)

mili
mili Posted Mon 28 Nov, 2011 9:33 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
megg_inc wrote:

Q: Who didn't know that Megg was a smoker and now wants to take back her (kooky) cookie?

A: me! :)

+1

I think that would happen to me, too, had I ever been a smoker and moving back to my parents'. One summer over 10 years ago, when we were between homes, was enough.

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Tue 29 Nov, 2011 3:27 PM Quote
+1 (A SMOKER? NOOOO!!!! Ewwww!!*)

* sorry, I'm kind of a militant anti-smoker...

btw, when I was 13 I wanted to become a pastry chef ;D

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 29 Nov, 2011 3:37 PM Quote
I'm the same way. My friends all seemed to know what they wanted to be. I had two friends who wanted to become nurses, one of whom had the inspiring story of being very ill when she was a child and she remembered how kind the nurses had been to her that she wanted to be one, too. I had a musical friend who started his own traveling musical/comedy business. My husband has wanted to be an artist since he was 5. It seems like everyone had these passions. I never really had a passion. Or much ambition. I had no idea what job to get. I became an overqualified government secretary. Low pay, but good benefits. No coolness factor whatsoever. In fact, everyone told me after working for the government I'd never be able to be employed again because people view government workers as lazy.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Tue 29 Nov, 2011 3:57 PM Quote
Don't worry people, turns out I'm too old for this - I swear I had a 24-hour nicotine hangover. I also think it's hilarious the tagline on the pack reads "A burst of freshness". Um, really? lol

PS Oh Lily, so you're one of those annoying people?

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Tue 29 Nov, 2011 4:12 PM Quote
yup, I am... well I'm not yelling at smokers on the street and as long as my nicotine-loving friends smoke by a window/outside and don't blow their disgusting smoke in my face, I'm not complaining...

However, I have celebrated when the strict smoking ban for cafés, restaurants and bars was passed in Bavaria - and I was very happy when a former co-worker told me he'd quit smoking two weeks ago because of the disgusted look I'd (apparently) had on my face when I'd offered him a chewing gum after one of his 5-minute breaks... sadly, one of my best friends is still a militant smoker, lol.

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Tue 29 Nov, 2011 4:35 PM Quote
So, I'm not sure if this counts as today's news, but I am gonna have a baby! Due in June.

deebee
deebee Posted Tue 29 Nov, 2011 4:50 PM Quote
Hell that counts! That's news for the next few months and it's fabulous, congrats :)

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 29 Nov, 2011 4:51 PM Quote
SamuraiSandy wrote:
So, I'm not sure if this counts as today's news, but I am gonna have a baby! Due in June.

http://forum.make-the-cut.com/uploads/FileUpload/90/94d8a2f32b22e038a99b66ad37e03e.jpg

Dubz

Pages Previous 1...10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Times UTC Current Time 10:21 AM