Generation Limbo

Re: To Do List of the Lost Generation
mili
mili Posted Thu 01 Sep, 2011 4:19 PM Quote
thewishlist wrote:
minnmess wrote:
thewishlist wrote:

learn to do things on your own

part of that...things like learning to change a tire, do small fix it's for yourself. Not that I can do any of those!

YES!! DIY!
I was thinking about stuff like travelling alone or going to a cinema alone or going to a bar alone etcetera, but this is so much more important: learn to fix things, literally.

Last week I opened the blocked bathroom drain (masses of hair), fixed holes in my daughters trousers and her bike tyre, fixed my son's ceiling light and organised a party. All cheaper when done by myself.
Finns are traditionally very DIY minded, that's why there aren't any jobs for small services. It's quite different in England, for example.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 01 Sep, 2011 4:23 PM Quote
This is in reply to lil and kayte butt phone is giving me quoting challenges:
My mom asked if I was going to have someone paint my apt. Err no. I will do it myself. Why would I pay someone to do what I can figure out for myself? Has she met me?
But movies, dinner, concerts, travel alone is also key. I decided a long time ago that I wasn't going to miss out on doing things just because no one else wanted to go.
And as for the retirement thing... A friend of mine the other day said something about retiring at 60. Hahahah we are all working till 80 and even then there will be no pension for us!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 01 Sep, 2011 4:52 PM Quote
The reason housing is cheap here in the Detroit area...when the auto industry sort of collapsed and everyone got laid off, they all moved away to other states. Many of them walking away from those "underwater" mortgages. That left a TON of empty houses, many of them owned by the bank. There is way more housing available than there are buyers. I think there are at least 2 or 3 bank owned houses on my street. My next door neighbor walked away from his house and it stayed empty for almost 2 years.

In the actual city of Detroit, where no one wants to live, properties are selling at auction for $1. Yes, $1.

Ric, no, I am not in the baby boom generation. I'm a 70's kid.

And for the kiddies growing up now, they have to decide is college even worth it?

mili
mili Posted Thu 01 Sep, 2011 5:24 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

And for the kiddies growing up now, they have to decide is college even worth it?

Yes, some practical jobs like an electrician, or a teacher could be worth considering.
My hairdresser also has a hairdressing school. They get a lot of people who want to change jobs. A lot of former police, too.

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Thu 01 Sep, 2011 6:12 PM Quote
I realized awhile ago that I will never be able to retire and buy a house. At 32 almost 33, I'm not really sure which "generation" I belong to.

I do know how to change a tire. :)

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 01 Sep, 2011 6:14 PM Quote
hennypenny wrote:
I realized awhile ago that I will never be able to retire and buy a house. At 32 almost 33, I'm not really sure which "generation" I belong to.

I belive you're Y

and kayte no way !!!!!!!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 01 Sep, 2011 6:29 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
hennypenny wrote:

I belive you're Y

and kayte no way !!!!!!!

You're right on the border line, Lindsay. Some people take Gen X all the way to 1982, but most cut it off 1979.

Ric, no way what?

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 01 Sep, 2011 6:41 PM Quote
Should we add "start your own business" to the list?

Taking a quote from the article that Lilly posted:
“You have to make opportunities happen for yourself, and I think a lot of my classmates weren’t thinking in that way,” he said. “It’s the equivalent of setting up your own lemonade stand.”

I think rather than graduating and expecting to join a big company, a lot of people are creating their own opportunities now that don't involve a 9-5 job. Lots of freelancer writers, designers, eBay sellers, Etsy stores, etc. I know 2 friends who took a few cake design classes and got their home kitchens certified and now bake fancy cakes for a living and they do very well.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 01 Sep, 2011 7:18 PM Quote
mili wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Yes, some practical jobs like an electrician, or a teacher could be worth considering.
My hairdresser also has a hairdressing school. They get a lot of people who want to change jobs. A lot of former police, too.

I think further education is always worth it. Whether it be college, university, trade school or whatever. There are very few jobs that don't require some sort of training or further education. And besides, it is a HUGE life experience and often the first time you live on your own, pay your own bills, have your own place, etc etc.

I hope to be in a position to buy a house someday, although as I drive home from work and see these massive subburban houses, i wonder if that is even what I remotely will ever want. I also don't know that I will ever be cut out for the 9-5 thing, but I don't really have a skill in something particular to start a business or do something more creative/freelance.
the rent that I will be paying in a month (woah!) isnt that much cheaper than what a morgage would be, but I won't be paying things like property taxes and condo fees (if i went that route), have to buy appliances and do replairs, which would make ownership way more expensive. I sort of hate the idea of "throwing money away' on rent, but knowing me I will be in Peru or something in 2 years anyways. Because...our lost/internship/rent genertaion just doesn't stay in one place anymore. (does anyone have Rod Stewert in their head now?)

mili
mili Posted Thu 01 Sep, 2011 8:47 PM Quote
I've been self employed/freelancer for 12 years now, longest time I've ever held a job (if that's what you can call it). I don't think I could do a regular 9-5 anymore, even if somebody would be willing to hire me. Actually, it's been even longer since I was a fully monthly salaried person.

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Thu 01 Sep, 2011 9:25 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
ricv64 wrote:
hennypenny wrote:

I belive you're Y

and kayte no way !!!!!!!

You're right on the border line, Lindsay. Some people take Gen X all the way to 1982, but most cut it off 1979.

Ric, no way what?

So that would make me a "Gen X-er". I've always thought I was, just one of the younger ones.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 01 Sep, 2011 9:37 PM Quote
hennypenny wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
ricv64 wrote:
hennypenny wrote:

I belive you're Y

and kayte no way !!!!!!!

Ric, no way what?

So that would make me a "Gen X-er". I've always thought I was, just one of the younger ones.

welcome to the club ......nevermind Kayte

Instead of Lost generation how about mapless generation ??????

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 01 Sep, 2011 9:50 PM Quote
Sometimes I think college was a waste for me (aside from meeting my husband there). Except for 2 classes, I don't feel like I learned anything new that I hadn't known in high school. And I suffered through 5 1/2 years of it. I hated college. Just a lot of reading and writing and tests to keep you busier and under more stress than anyone ever should be None of the jobs I had even required a degree, that's the kicker.

*And when I say college, I mean university. We just don't say university much in the US. Even though the name of my college was University of Michigan.

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Fri 02 Sep, 2011 3:08 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Should we add "start your own business" to the list?

if this is a "things to do before you turn 30" list, then no. But I think we could definitely add it to a "things to do before you turn 40" list.

I've always had this plan at the back of my head to start my own business (I guess it's in my genes, my family-history has "SELF-EMPLOYED" written all over it) - but even though I don't think I'll spend my whole life in a 9-5 job, I can't just "do it" now. I want to develop my idea carefully, save money, find a business-partner AND gain experience in today's working world first...

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 Next All Times UTC Current Time 12:31 PM