Travis

FAO American Boardies
megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Sun 19 Jun, 2011 7:36 PM Quote
Question. I recently started watching 'Big Love' and I really like the show but there's something I don't understand. So they're fundamentalist Mormons who live in a plural marriage but they hide the fact from almost everyone as it's apparently illegal. Soooo... how does it work exactly? Is there any state where polygamy is legal? And if not, how can the whole community be based on polygamy and not be prosecuted if it's a common knowledge such marriages function?

Re: FAO American Boardies
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 20 Jun, 2011 1:16 AM Quote
There are no states where polygamy is legal.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Mon 20 Jun, 2011 7:35 PM Quote
Ok, after watching 2 more episodes I figured out that obviously only the first wife is a "real" one whereas the others are no-ones from the legal point of view. I don't get the hiding part then - so basically a dude has a wife plus children with other women which is controversial but surely not forbidden. Ugh, it confuses me!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 24 Jun, 2011 7:33 AM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
Ok, after watching 2 more episodes I figured out that obviously only the first wife is a "real" one whereas the others are no-ones from the legal point of view. I don't get the hiding part then - so basically a dude has a wife plus children with other women which is controversial but surely not forbidden. Ugh, it confuses me!

I've never seen the show but from what I understand aren't they living in a regular town? By that I mean they aren't living in a community where this is accepted. If that is the case they would need to hide because there would always be the danger that someone could report them. While he is only legally married to one he could still be prosecuted.

There is that reality show now "Sister Wives" (which gives me the heebie jeebies like you wouldn't believe). They recently moved to a different state because after it started airing prosecutors in their area felt like they couldn't ignore it when they were flaunting their plural marriages like that.

This is not the behavior of mainstream Mormons.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Fri 24 Jun, 2011 6:01 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:

This is not the behavior of mainstream Mormons.

Yes, I am aware of that. Yup, they live in a regular town. I didn't know he still could be prosecuted, it makes much more sense now!

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Sat 25 Jun, 2011 9:56 PM Quote
Ok, seems I have a lot of marriage related questions these days, America.

So obviously the big news of this weekend is the legalized gay marriage in NY. Again, I'm confused. Wasn't this done already in this state? Is it marriage marriage this time instead of a civil partnership? Yes? No? Anyone?

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sun 26 Jun, 2011 2:37 AM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
Ok, seems I have a lot of marriage related questions these days, America.

So obviously the big news of this weekend is the legalized gay marriage in NY. Again, I'm confused. Wasn't this done already in this state? Is it marriage marriage this time instead of a civil partnership? Yes? No? Anyone?

From an article about it:

The New York Assembly passed same-sex marriage legislation twice before, in 2007 and 2009, but in both cases it stalled in the state Senate, as it nearly did again this week. The bill passed late on Friday after legislators agreed on language allowing religious organizations to refuse to perform services or lend space for same-sex weddings.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 7:52 AM