Travis

Supertaster test
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sat 30 Apr, 2011 7:26 PM Quote
As many of you know, I am a picky eater. It has been found that many picky eaters are what is known as "supertasters." It really isn't so super to be a supertaster, though. It means you perceive bitter flavors much more than average tasters or under-tasters (sometimes called non-tasters). People like this are likely not to like vegetables, alcohol, and things like that.

The company sends you a packet of test strips (2 per pack). The strip of paper has a bitter chemical on it. You put it in your mouth for 10 seconds and if it tastes extremely bitter, you are a SUPERTASTER! If it tastes mildly bitter and/or bland you are an average taster. If it tastes like plain old paper, you are a non-taster.

I videod the results, which I may or may not upload to YouTube later.

Results:

Rachel went first. Supertaster!
She was wreching into the trash can screaming for water.

Violet went next. Supertaster! She couldn't even last the whole ten seconds.

I went 3rd. Supertaster! I was trying very hard not to look odd during the 10 seconds since I was on camera, but I ended up asking Rachel to turn the camera off. Vile, nasty, nasty, nasty!!

Max refused to take the test. But he is the pickiest of all of us, so I'm pretty postiive he'd be a supertaster, too.

My husband went last. Ten seconds went by without a flinch. He took the paper out and I asked, "Well, what do you think?" He said, "I think I just had a piece of paper in my mouth." NON-TASTER!

Poor Don, a non-taster in a household full of supertasters. No wonder he gets bored of our bland choices.

Stastically, about 25% of people are supertasters, 50% are average tasters, and 25% are non-tasters.

P.S. Although it's been a while, I can STILL taste that stuff and what's worse, it's kinda burning in my nostrils now. BLAHHHHHHH!!

Re: Supertaster test
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 31 Oct, 2011 4:24 PM Quote
They Might Be Giants - John Lee Supertaster

Dubz

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 31 Oct, 2011 5:28 PM Quote
I think I am a different kind of supertaster. Where everything tastes super delicious!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 31 Oct, 2011 5:50 PM Quote
That must be nice! I will send you one of my extra strips and see what it's like for you. It will be an interesting experiment.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 31 Oct, 2011 5:58 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
That must be nice! I will send you one of my extra strips and see what it's like for you. It will be an interesting experiment.

that would be awesome! Want to send it along with the christmas cookies? :P <--- that is me practicing for the test. I wonder if the strip will taste like marshmallows to me

Meridith
Meridith Posted Wed 02 Nov, 2011 9:24 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

Kayte, how many extras of those do you have? You might have to send one to me too. I'm wondering about Olivia.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 03 Nov, 2011 4:30 PM Quote
Meridith wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Kayte, how many extras of those do you have? You might have to send one to me too. I'm wondering about Olivia.

I'll check. :)

Pages [1] All Times UTC Current Time 9:16 AM