Travis

How to start a book
mili
mili Posted Tue 05 Apr, 2011 7:09 AM Quote
I read a fair bit, mainly in English. The beginning of a book is important (as well as the ending), so I was pleased to come across an interesting first paragraph yesterday:

"Some concepts are alien to the Glaswegian mind. Salad. Dentistry. Forgiveness."
- Craig Russell: the Long Glasgow Kiss

It's a thriller set in Glasgow in 1950's, very Phil Marlowesque.

Any favourite/good first sentences you know?

Re: How to start a book
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 05 Apr, 2011 7:38 AM Quote
"Jesus Fuck"

Inspector McGregor wished there was some kind of official crime scenario checklist, just so that he could have a quick glance and confirm that he had seen it all now.

Quite Ugly One Morning - Christopher Brookmyre this is one of the best and funniest crime thrillers I have ever read, I would recommend it to anyone & everyone.

Dubz

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Tue 05 Apr, 2011 9:48 AM Quote
"'NOW, what I want is, Facts." Charles Dickens, Hard Times
- a great first sentence, but you have to read the book to find out why ;D

I also liked
"What about a teakettle?" Jonathan Safran Foer, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

And not just because of "Mr Darcy" (but because I actually read.the.book. AND loved it ;) )
"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife." Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Dypebooggep
Dypebooggep Posted Wed 13 Apr, 2011 9:28 AM Quote
Combining the discount designer handbags thrill of an auction, the designer handbags convenience of the hermes kelly bag Internet and an amazing birkin hermes bag selection of luxury authentic hermes evelyne designer such as hermes handbags, cheap prada ,Gucci, fendi peekaboo,Dior, miu miu wallet,chanel clutch bag and high-end thomas wylde skull bag Apple electronics discount miu miu. Luxdesignerbags.com is sure to miu miu handbags make a name for prada wallet itself in the online fendi zucca bag penny auction/entertainment shopping hermes wallet arena.How the Love fendi wallet Labels auction process gucci mens works: First, a potential discount gucci bidder registers at the ysl muse two site. Registration is free chanel wallet and includes five complimentary chanel flap bag bids. Members buy designer handbags on sale bids in advance; ysl handbags each bid is $1.00, and bids mulberry alexa bag are sold in packs via credit card or Paypal. Unlike some other alexander wang studded bag sites.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 4:28 PM