Travis

Re: Rant Thread
megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Thu 23 Feb, 2012 10:00 PM Quote
mili wrote:

Is it possible to send open applications to companies you're interested in? They just might keep your application for the day they need someone, and call you, rather than advertise.

Companies don't generally accept open applications these days...

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 23 Feb, 2012 10:07 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
mili wrote:

Is it possible to send open applications to companies you're interested in? They just might keep your application for the day they need someone, and call you, rather than advertise.

I recently had one company tell me so, a few weeks back, "Why don't you keep your eyes open for any other jobs we advertise, as you were excellent in interview" wtf?? if I was that good then why don't you call me.

Dubz

mili
mili Posted Thu 23 Feb, 2012 10:56 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
mili wrote:

Boy, I'm out of touch! Well, I haven't applied for a job for over 10 years, that my explain it.

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Fri 24 Feb, 2012 3:33 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
mili wrote:

German companies usually do accept open/speculative applications... some even ask for them and most of the big ones have an extra section for open applications on their online career-sites. Two of my friends got their jobs through an open application, but I haven't been so lucky so far. I had no idea companies in other countries had stopped accepting them.

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Fri 24 Feb, 2012 3:39 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
Wow, this is so depressing. Almost a full year later and here I am, still ranting about lack of job/ lame employers. I will never be employed, will I?

*panic attack break*

Anyway, just wanted to say that I tried to apply for 2 jobs today (Which were both posted on Tuesday. It's Thursday.) but they were taken down already, despite having deadlines by the very end of this week. This is f*cking pointless.

are you applying for jobs Europe-wide?

Edel
Edel Posted Fri 24 Feb, 2012 4:10 PM Quote
thewishlist wrote:
megg_inc wrote:
mili wrote:

German companies usually do accept open/speculative applications... some even ask for them and most of the big ones have an extra section for open applications on their online career-sites. Two of my friends got their jobs through an open application, but I haven't been so lucky so far. I had no idea companies in other countries had stopped accepting them.

Its the same here in Denmark. In fact I was advised by my union to send speculative applications to public sector jobs. As they said, people usually quit, go on maternity and what not at end of month so employers grab the bundle of speculative applications as they might need to fill the position straightaway. And they have to advertise online, newspapers etc but chances are they have already employed someone two weeks before the job is advertised :0/ I still havent sent mine places which is stupid. Just feel its not good enough but send it if something shows up. Just had a refusal email, they wrote they had 86 applicants for the one position

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Fri 24 Feb, 2012 11:39 PM Quote
thewishlist wrote:
megg_inc wrote:
mili wrote:

At least in PL and UK. There's usually "Please note we don't accept applications for positions NOT advertised on our website" written somewhere. Very rarely they let you apply for certain position and then claim to keep your CV on file for the future reference (if you're up for it). To be fair, I think some big companies would drown in speculative applications if they allowed them.

And Lily, I apply in Poland mostly but also in the UK if I see something really interesting.

Edel
Edel Posted Sat 25 Feb, 2012 9:59 AM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
thewishlist wrote:
megg_inc wrote:
mili wrote:

At least in PL and UK. There's usually "Please note we don't accept applications for positions NOT advertised on our website" written somewhere. Very rarely they let you apply for certain position and then claim to keep your CV on file for the future reference (if you're up for it). To be fair, I think some big companies would drown in speculative applications if they allowed them.

And Lily, I apply in Poland mostly but also in the UK if I see something really interesting.

And I think thats the way it should be. The other doesn't make sense to me and feel its wasting their time as well as my own. Well not necessarily theirs as they can just ignore the application? But now getting desperate, I need to consider it. Theres no jobs around and think its getting back to the 'Its not what you know but who you know mentality.'

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Sat 25 Feb, 2012 11:23 AM Quote
A HR manager at Deutsche Bank said in an interview that they actually like speculative (online) applications, but only from people who are specific with what they want and with what they can offer...

I'm NOT a fan of this system, speculative applications require much more effort than normal ones and then you get a "we can't offer you anything right now but we'd like to keep your application for future positions"-e-mail and never hear from them again... especially with the stupid German application-process where you have to send them not only a well-written cover letter and CV, but also written references, certificates etc...

roxytobias
roxytobias Posted Wed 21 Mar, 2012 2:03 PM Quote
a doofus friend of mine confessed his feelings just two weeks before i was gonna leave for Australia and stay there for 2 years. says he's been thinking about it for three yrs now and he's ok with a long distance relationship. wow. i've never been in a relationship and now he's suggesting i enter one, long distance? of course i said no.. dang, so but now im in another side of the world and i'm thinking about him! T____T i mean i've never felt anything for him before he said all these crap and now i'm being unfairly affected!!! urrrgh! and he's not making any effort to communicate, as if he's easily moved on. it's just unfair. :( feelings be gone!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 21 Mar, 2012 3:43 PM Quote
roxytobias wrote:
a doofus friend of mine confessed his feelings just two weeks before i was gonna leave for Australia and stay there for 2 years. says he's been thinking about it for three yrs now and he's ok with a long distance relationship. wow. i've never been in a relationship and now he's suggesting i enter one, long distance? of course i said no.. dang, so but now im in another side of the world and i'm thinking about him! T____T i mean i've never felt anything for him before he said all these crap and now i'm being unfairly affected!!! urrrgh! and he's not making any effort to communicate, as if he's easily moved on. it's just unfair. :( feelings be gone!

boys are stupid, aren't they?

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 21 Mar, 2012 4:53 PM Quote

I think your initial responce is right and you should follow that thought .

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Wed 21 Mar, 2012 4:58 PM Quote
Oh dear... Guys! Although I reckon you might only think you have feelings for him (if it really never occurred to you before) and they'll pass quickly, especially as you won't be seeing him any time soon. Try to keep yourself occupied for a while. Plus, you know. You're in Australia. Surfers.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 21 Mar, 2012 5:01 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
Oh dear... Guys! Although I reckon you might only think you have feelings for him (if it really never occurred to you before) and they'll pass quickly, especially as you won't be seeing him any time soon. Try to keep yourself occupied for a while. Plus, you know. You're in Australia. Surfers.

ya, what she said! Surfers.
And you are right, it is probably one of those "oh ya, he likes me, I will think about him allll the time. Oh wait, I don't like him at all" things. That is a thing. Trust me.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Wed 21 Mar, 2012 6:26 PM Quote
Employers seem not to be able to spell! Arghhh. It annoys me so much as they have really ridiculous expectations yet they fail to type the name of the post they're hiring for! Recent examples:

Recepcionist

Fundreser (my guess considering the sector was "fundraiser" but maybe they meant "fun dresser"? I really DON'T KNOW.

"We are looking for candidates for a part-time position of Receptionist. We offer: Full time job (10:00 – 19:00)"

WHAT.IS.THIS.

Pages Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next All Times UTC Current Time 1:47 PM