Travis

Re: 30 Day Song Challenge...
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 9:06 AM Quote
Day 07 (Friday 1st April) - a song that reminds you of a certain event

Bits and Pieces

I can't really think of a song that reminds me of a certain event, so I'll go with the above as it was played at my 21st because it was my favourite sondg at the time.

Dubz

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 11:18 AM Quote
Day 7 - a song that reminds me of a certain event

The first thing I came up with was this:

T.Rex - Ride a White Swan

I was in my final year at school and I had chosen a "Dance" term in physical education. Our teacher loved to torture us with hip-hop and jazz-dance routines and she wanted us to come up with a routine, too, and teach it to the class in 20 minutes. So a friend and I met up at her place and went through several records to get some inspiration. Both of us didn't really care about PE grades and when Ride a White Swan came up we had the idea to do this ridiculous country-style mock dance (please don't ask me why. I have no idea!). We thought our teacher would probably give us a C and let the next group "wow" her, but at least we'd have had some fun in watching the class hop and skip - and rope imaginary horses.

We'd never have expected the teacher to say "THAT's what I'm taling about, girls" and give us a straight A. Which is what she did. Probably because the whole thing really was hilarious to watch, lol.

Anyway, every time I hear the song now, I'm tempted to jump into our dance-routine ;D

mili
mili Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 11:48 AM Quote
Lilly's story reminded me of a dance related recurring event when I was 14 or so

Dire Straits: Tunnel of Love
I used to go to a jazz dance lesson every friday with my friends. Our teacher was a professional and preforming dancer, and I think she taught us her routines. So one term we polished the subtle toe movements of the start of the dance to this tune. I just checked, we never got beyond about 28 seconds…

Another, more one off event: The 75th anniversary of "Kisahalli", a sports hall in Helsinki. Our tai-chi group was due to perform, but decided to go through our routine one more time. Another group was performing, and to our surprise their music suited our movements perfectly: Metallica: Nothing Else Matters

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 12:44 PM Quote

Travis - Flowers In The Window

I played this at my sisters wedding :)

Note: I rehearsed this so much that I can barely listen to it anymore, but it still reminds me of that day.

Ps. I'm very glad to see a T. Rex song here, love it!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 4:08 PM Quote
Day 7: A song that reminds me of a certain event

Again, many songs I could have chosen for this particular event, but I'm going to go with Sing to remind me of the American Boardie Convention in Chicago, April 18, 2009. I love that you can see our bubbles in this video.

I read a bit of our ABC thread today and watched Sandy's proposal video. So many memories. That weekend was magic.

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 4:28 PM Quote

This one's easy for me. Everytime I hear it, I think of Tyler's Proposal. It came on this morning on my way to work, actually!

Humpty Dumpty Love Song

I almost posted Anne's video of the proposal, but we've all seen it, haven't we? I found this video that someone took that same gig, and I forgot we were actually on stage while they were playing...talk about surreal!!

Meridith
Meridith Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 5:51 PM Quote

New Order- Temptation

I have loved this song for years and years but now when I hear it, I think of a race I ran last summer. It was a 5k race through some lavender fields. My husband put together a playlist for me to listen to on my ipod for this race and this was the first song on it. Now when I hear it, I'm transported back to that race and to the memories of adrenaline that rushed through me as I weaved in and out of hundreds of runners. It's a good song to run to. :)

mili
mili Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 6:27 PM Quote
SamuraiSandy wrote:

This one's easy for me. Everytime I hear it, I think of Tyler's Proposal. It came on this morning on my way to work, actually!

Humpty Dumpty Love Song

I almost posted Anne's video of the proposal, but we've all seen it, haven't we? I found this video that someone took that same gig, and I forgot we were actually on stage while they were playing...talk about surreal!!

That's pretty unbeatable!

I saw Fran for the first time both playing live and in person in February, but since the whole gig was one big happy blur, I can't name one song to stand out. I was very taken, when I introduced myself and he knew who I was, that is he remembered my name from the board or from where ever…

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 02 Apr, 2011 8:25 AM Quote
Day 08 (Saturday 2nd April) - a song that you know all the words to

CODY - Mogwai

This is the song/album that got me into Mogwai in a big way. It's their second album, CODY is an acronym for Come On Die Young. The album is full of melodies, riffs & "hooks" it's probably still my favourite Mogwai album. I love the way this sounds maudlin but at the same time it makes me smile. They don't play this often live but I was lucky enough to catch them in Dublin about two years ago, they did 3 nights running and I was there the one night they included this, the newer stuff is heading in a louder (and recently more electronic) direction, but it's different not worse/better.

I was also gonna go with Return of the Los Palmas 7 by Madness as it only has one word "Waiter" in it, or the other choice would have been any song off Oasis' What's the Story, that album was so huge at the time that most people I knew could sing the whole album.

Of all I knew, I held too few.
And would you stop me, if I try to stop you.

Old songs stay 'til the end.
Sad songs remind me of friends.
And the way it is, I could leave it all
And I ask myself, would you care at all.

When I drive alone at night, I see the streetlights as fairgrounds
And I tried a hundred times to see the road signs as Day-Glo.

Old songs, stay till the end.
Sad songs, remind me of friends.
And the way it is, I could leave it all
And I ask myself, would you care at all.

Dubz

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sat 02 Apr, 2011 9:07 AM Quote
mili wrote:
[
That's pretty unbeatable!

I saw Fran for the first time both playing live and in person in February, but since the whole gig was one big happy blur, I can't name one song to stand out. I was very taken, when I introduced myself and he knew who I was, that is he remembered my name from the board or from where ever…

Isn't a Frecognition the most wonderful thing in the world? Well, after a frug and friss.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sat 02 Apr, 2011 2:05 PM Quote
Day 08 (Saturday 2nd April) - a song that you know all the words to:

One of my first loves musically, the anthem of all the fools in this world.

The Ark - It Takes A Fool To Remain Sane

Whatever happened to the funky race?
A generation lost in pace
Wasn't life supposed to be more than this?
In this kiss, I'll change your bore for my bliss
Let go of my hand and it will slip out
In the sand if you don't give me the chance
To break down the walls of attitude
I ask nothing of you
Not even your gratitude

And if you think I'm corny
Then it will not make me sorry
It's your right to laugh at me
And in turn, that's my opportunity
To feel brave

Because ridicule is no shame
Oh it's just a way to eclipse hate
It's just a way to put my back straight
Oh it's just a way to remain sane

Every morning I would see her getting off the bus
The picture never drops it's like a multicoloured snapshot
Stuck in my brain it kept me sane
For a couple of years as it drenched my fears
Of becoming like the others
Who become unhappy mothers
And fathers of unhappy kids
And why is that?
'Cause they've forgotten how to play
Or maybe they're afraid to feel ashamed
To seem strange, to seem insane
To gain weight, to seem gay
I tell you this:

That it takes a fool to remain sane
Oh It takes a fool to remain sane
Oh It takes a fool to remain sane
Oh In this world all covered up in shame

Oh, take it to the stage!

So, take it to the stage in a multicoloured jacket
Take it jackpot, crackpot, strutting like a peacock
Nail Varnish, Arkansas, shimmy-shammy feather boa
Crackpot haircut dye your hair in glowing red and blue

Do, do, do, what you wanna do
Don't think twice, do, what you have to do
Do, do, do, do, let your heart decide
What you have to do, that's all there is to find

'Cause it takes a fool to remain sane
Oh, it takes a fool to remain sane
Oh, in this world all covered up in shame
Oh, in this world all covered up in shame
Oh, it takes a fooool...

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sat 02 Apr, 2011 3:48 PM Quote
Day 8: A song you know all the words to

This isn't a pop song, but a song I had to memorize in elementary school. It lists all 50 states in alphabetical order. I still remember it.
Fifty Nifty United States

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 02 Apr, 2011 4:09 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

This isn't a pop song, but a song I had to memorize in elementary school. It lists all 50 states in alphabetical order. I still remember it.
Fifty Nifty United States

Reminds me of Animaniacs

Dubz

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Sat 02 Apr, 2011 5:26 PM Quote

Lemon Tree by Fools Garden. Not exactly a big achievement to know the lyrics to this, haha.

PS. Haven't posted the last 2 days as I couldn't think of any songs.

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Sat 02 Apr, 2011 6:32 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:

Lemon Tree by Fools Garden. Not exactly a big achievement to know the lyrics to this, haha.

Oh my, Lemon Tree! The song of my teenage years... I didn't know it was known outside Germany! A one-hit-wonder band as far as I know (and that one hit got way too much radio play here, even my mother could sing along at one point, lol). "I'm turning turning turning turning turning around...".

Could've posted that, too...

But...
Just to mix things up a little, a non-English song*:

Kettcar - Landungsbrücken Raus (not the best video of all time, I'm afraid...)

I put some of the band's songs on the boardie-mixtape for Mili, and she said she liked them, too, so I have a reference ;)

*Edit: I just realised this was the second non-English song I've posted here... my, my...getting old...

Pages Previous 1...2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Times BST Current Time 3:24 PM