Travis

Re: 30 Day Song Challenge...
DAKOTA
DAKOTA Posted Thu 31 Mar, 2011 7:47 AM Quote
A Song that Reminds You of Somewhere:

El Caminos in the West by Grandaddy

It reminds me of Southern California always. I always sing the chorus of this song when I see one. :D

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 31 Mar, 2011 9:47 AM Quote
Day 06 (Thursday 31st March) - a song that reminds you of somewhere

Waterfall - Atlantic Ocean

This song reminds me of Ibiza when I was 22 (16 years ago !!!), It was an utterly brilliant holiday, I was a bit of a raver at the time and we went to Es Paradis which had a sunken dancefloor, where at about 3am it used to fill with water turning it into a swimming pool. I also hired a motorbike on this holiday, that was my first taste of bikes that would never leave me.

Dubz

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Thu 31 Mar, 2011 10:32 AM Quote
day 06 - a song that reminds me of somewhere

Maná – En el Muelle de San Blas

First I’d like to say that I usually do NOT listen to this kind of music ;-)

That being said, the song reminds me of Salamanca, a city in western Spain. I was taking a Spanish course there in 2004, and one day our teacher brought this song to class to practice the various past tenses. It was really helpful, but the stupid song got stuck in my head!! That was almost 7 years ago and I still remember the lyrics – arrrrgh...
It was an awesome holiday, though.

Absy
Absy Posted Thu 31 Mar, 2011 3:17 PM Quote
No song for today ?

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 31 Mar, 2011 3:21 PM Quote
Day 6: A song that reminds me of somewhere

I was torn between 2 songs for this one. My first inkling was to go with "Welcome to the Jungle," which reminds me of band camp. We used to change the words to "Welcome to Camp Lakeview." But everyone has heard that song to death.

Instead I'm going with And You Tell Me by A-ha. This song reminds me of a band trip to Toronto when I was about 14. We were staying in this rather dirty hotel (dead bugs in the corners) and my friend kept singing this song the whole evening. I had never heard it before and she let me borrow her A-ha tape when we got back home and I was hooked. Such a neat little song. Anyway, now when I hear this song, I think of Toronto. And the whoopie cushion I bought at the CN Tower.

P.S. Morten Harket=hubba hubba

mili
mili Posted Thu 31 Mar, 2011 4:52 PM Quote
Pet Shop Boys: It's A Sin

This was in a car tape when my then boyfriend (currently husband) and I drove through Finnish Lapland 20 years ago. Roads were straight and long, hills getting gradually bigger, small or no trees, reindeer everywhere – and Swedish caravans. So we sang "it's a Swede" to this tune.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Thu 31 Mar, 2011 6:07 PM Quote
day 06 - a song that reminds me of somewhere

This song reminds me of many places, we did a cover of it in school and since that it's been kind of my trademark, I use to sing it with my mother and she always sings along to the line: "When I was just a baby my mama told me son, always be a good boy, don't ever play with guns" and loves it when I do the really low parts. So it reminds me of school and some good times with my mum, me at the piano and she singing along.

Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 31 Mar, 2011 6:12 PM Quote
I like reading people's stories behind their choices. Who would have thought that Folson Prison was a happy, sing-along song?

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 31 Mar, 2011 6:18 PM Quote
I'm glad Swede Boy's mother didn't have a special connection to "I shot a man in reno, just to watch him die."

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Thu 31 Mar, 2011 6:19 PM Quote

San Francisco by Scott McKenzie

This one's a little funny because it's called, "San Francisco", but it reminds me of Vietnam. I heard this a LOT while I was there 14 years ago. I'm sure I had heard it before then, but I never paid much attention to it until then. It always makes me a little sad when I hear it, because it makes me miss Vietnam and all of my relatives there.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Thu 31 Mar, 2011 6:21 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
I like reading people's stories behind their choices. Who would have thought that Folson Prison was a happy, sing-along song?

Haha yes it's a bit weird, but there are a few songs with sad lyrics that makes me happy as well, to name one: Fleetwood Mac - Go Your Own Way. I guess songs mean different things to different people, it probably has to do with what you associate it with.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Thu 31 Mar, 2011 6:23 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
I'm glad Swede Boy's mother didn't have a special connection to "I shot a man in reno, just to watch him die."

Lol, actually I use to replace Reno with Swedish town names, no one usually seem to give a damn.

Meridith
Meridith Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 12:27 AM Quote
I'm late to the game but I want to join in...

Electronic- Second Nature (Sorry, not the best version of this song.)

Whenever I hear this song it takes me back to my honeymoon over 14 years ago. We went to San Francisco and being young and with limited funds, we decided to drive there from Salt Lake City. (About a 12 hour drive.) I love road trips. There's nothing like an open road accompanied with great music and great conversation. I remember driving through the middle of Nevada, the sun was setting behind the mountains and this song was on. I remember feeling so excited that a new chapter in my life was starting and feeling all was right with the world. So whenever I hear this song, it takes me back to those happy moments on the open road.

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 6:29 AM Quote
Day 7: A song that reminds you of a certain event

Since its Opening day of baseball season, I chose a song that they play at every Seattle Mariners game. It is a Northwest classic and when I hear it, I think of being at a game. I know its not neccessarily one particular event, but thats what I think of.

Louie, Louie - The Kingsmen

DAKOTA
DAKOTA Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 7:19 AM Quote
Day 7:

The Rockafeller Skank by Fatboy Slim

the Event: The first song I ever heard on WOXY (97.7 on the radio dial out of Oxford Ohio at the time.) I remember vividly being pissed off at the repetitious pop station I usually listened to and I scanned the dial for something else while doing a massive all day cleaning of my room.

This may not seem like some kind of big event but it introduced me to a whole metric ton of music that I never ever would have heard if I'd have passed it by. (Including Travis ;))

Thing is, I could have passed it right on by because the Rockafeller Skank did actually get radio play at the time. What caught my ear was the fact that it was the full album cut and not the radio edit. I listened all day and the DJs told you what the hell the song was playing unlike the DJs on mainstream radio, which is like...what is the point of them these days? To annoy the crap out of you between the songs and the commercials? They give you no useful information at all.

Anyways, There were no repeats pretty much the entire day, except for maybe a few tracks but even then it was only a couple times not every hour on the hour. It opened me up to a lot of things I otherwise wouldn't have even given a chance (Hehe, you will see a prime example with next Friday's answer. ;)) It still surprises me to this day just how many people will dismiss a song out of hand without even giving it a chance because they've never heard it before or the artist.

Even if it's the catchiest song that ever catched.

Anyways, here's the version I heard that day:

This Song is Secretly 7 minutes long

:)

Pages Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Times BST Current Time 8:31 AM