Travis

Netbooks vs Laptops
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 07 Mar, 2011 4:51 PM Quote

Well looks like this piece of shit is on it's last fucking legs. I've had it 5 years and it was cheap when I got it. The screen has separated from the main body and now the cooling system has packed in. It's dangerously close to getting fucked out the window and onto the busy street below.

So what I'm wondering is, would a netbook suffice, they're smaller and handier to manage, most of my stuff is on an external Hard Drive anyway, I'm just wondering how good are they, could I run MS Office on one for example, I'm guessing that because this thing is old and technology moves on that a modern netbook will probably do everything this does ??

Dubz

Re: Netbooks vs Laptops
minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 07 Mar, 2011 5:44 PM Quote
I believe that netbooks dont have memory card readers, although that might be of no concern to you.
Other than that, I think it comes down to size, both internal memory and if you like the little-ness of a netbook.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 07 Mar, 2011 5:52 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
I believe that netbooks dont have memory card readers, although that might be of no concern to you.
Other than that, I think it comes down to size, both internal memory and if you like the little-ness of a netbook.

There's 80gb memory in this thing which is nothing these days

That's one of the problems I have with this thing, someone once said to me that the type of laptop I have (17" widescreen, etc.) is not so much a laptop as a desktop replacement. I would like something more portable.

Dubz

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 07 Mar, 2011 7:17 PM Quote
mine is that big too. When I got it a few years back I was thinking more about entertainment (ie-movies) and not travel. I dont want something too small, but my next laptop wont be as large.
Memory and card readers are my big things, given all the photos that I take.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 08 Mar, 2011 2:29 AM Quote
I've got a netbook and it does have a memory card reader.
I think it depends on what you need it for. The downside is you can't play any CDs or DVDs, but it's so handy.
Mine doesn't weight more than 1.2 kgs. I took it with me on my trip to Europe and it was great. I loaded it with photos (we took over 1600), haha. I can also work with it (MS Office works perfectly fine) and watch videos very, very decently. And the battery actually lasts around 8-9 hours. Its name is Astrid and I got it for 400 and something dollars, which is quite cheap for a netbook in Argentina. I'm very happy with it, it was totally worth it. :o)

But if you need to work with images or videos or stuff like that, the resolution and the size of the screen might not be enough. And the sound and video boards aren't the best you can get, of course. I had problems trying to play the videos I filmed with my camera because of that: the format was too advanced and the quality was way too high, so it couldn't play them.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 08 Mar, 2011 8:19 AM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
I think it depends on what you need it for. The downside is you can't play any CDs or DVDs

good to know! perhaps it was just models I was looking at. Although lack of DVD/CD is a problem for me. Is it that it doesnt have a disc drive?

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 08 Mar, 2011 9:18 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
I think it depends on what you need it for. The downside is you can't play any CDs or DVDs

good to know! perhaps it was just models I was looking at. Although lack of DVD/CD is a problem for me. Is it that it doesnt have a disc drive?

Yeah that seems to be the thing that none of them have, although with prices these days you can probably pick up an external disk drive very cheaply.

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Sat 12 Mar, 2011 12:01 PM Quote
i have a netbook, upside = portability, convenience. The right spec will give you most of what you want . Downside = pictures not so good , but worthwhile.

Let me know what ou get and how you find it . I need to upgrade mine.!

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Sat 12 Mar, 2011 12:01 PM Quote
i have a netbook, upside = portability, convenience. The right spec will give you most of what you want . Downside = pictures not so good , but worthwhile.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 12 Mar, 2011 6:36 PM Quote
Somewhere Else wrote:

Thank you and will do...

Dubz

strongbow1
strongbow1 Posted Sun 13 Mar, 2011 11:20 AM Quote
I think i would consider a Netbook if and when my laptop decides to die. You can connect them to a LCD TV if they have a VGA slot or HDMI slot. Im not sure how many USB inputs they have but you can buy them things where you can plug more USB gadgets in say an external DVD and CD rewriter/player, external keyboard and mouse and external hard drive etc. So you can have everything a laptop offers and still have the convenience of easier portability.

Pages [1] All Times UTC Current Time 1:15 PM