Travis

Re: Things I have realized
megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Thu 23 Dec, 2010 3:04 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

For some reason I really just want it to be over already this year.

Welcome to the club.
I think I like the idea of Christmas but not the real life version of it, you know what I mean?

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 23 Dec, 2010 3:17 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

For some reason I really just want it to be over already this year.

Welcome to the club.
I think I like the idea of Christmas but not the real life version of it, you know what I mean?

I think that's a problem for a lot of people. TV shows and movies put such high expectations on the day that no real family can live up to. We don't all have homemade gingerbread houses on our tables with a house full of relatives who all get along with each other and everyone receives the perfect gift, etc. Real life just isn't like that for most people.

I dislike New Year's Eve.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 23 Dec, 2010 4:33 PM Quote
totally. I don't hate Christmas, but it is a lot of build up for nothing. Christmas morning I open presents. And then sit around for hours. And then eat some turkey. And sit around for hours. The day is not all that exciting!
As a kid it was fun. It was 2 weeks off of school. And then in university, it was the end of exams and you got to go home for a few weeks. Now it just feels like an extended long weekend. I realized Im more excited about seeing The King's Speech next week than I am about Christmas.

New Years is fine. Ive had a couple of good ones, although nothing extravagant. Like last year I am working. If it is anything like last year, the stroke of midnight will perhaps be the most depressing thing ever. I was gathering people's plates and dirty dishes as everyone else was dancing and screaming and kissing their loved ones. Ya, that was a suckfest of a feeling.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 23 Dec, 2010 4:50 PM Quote
I just can't be arsed with Christmas, it's false to me, people pretending they like each other and being nice to each other just because it's Christmas. You wanna make a difference why wait until Christmas, do it at any time during the year.

I've been busy the last 3 New Years', this year I won't be. It's gonna be tough.

Dubz

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 23 Dec, 2010 5:06 PM Quote
I'm not a party person and I don't drink, so New Year's Eve is pretty much a non-event for me. I think I've been out of the house twice in my life on NYE. Even if I were invited someplace, I probably wouldn't go. The ball drops in Times Square, we kiss, we have a Coca-Cola toast (in glass bottles for New Year's) and we toddle off to bed at 12:05. It's just another night.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 23 Dec, 2010 5:13 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
I'm not a party person and I don't drink, so New Year's Eve is pretty much a non-event for me. I think I've been out of the house twice in my life on NYE. Even if I were invited someplace, I probably wouldn't go. The ball drops in Times Square, we kiss, we have a Coca-Cola toast (in glass bottles for New Year's) and we toddle off to bed at 12:05. It's just another night.

My parents do exactly the same.

Dubz

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 23 Dec, 2010 5:45 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Dubz

Nothing like celebrating the New Year like a senior citizen! Woo hoo!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 23 Dec, 2010 6:14 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Dubz

Nothing like celebrating the New Year like a senior citizen! Woo hoo!

My parents are only 20 years older than me !! What's really scary is if I was in the same situation I'd have a 17 year old son.

Dubz

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 23 Dec, 2010 6:22 PM Quote
I have an acquaintance from high school on FB who is a grandmother of a 4-year-old. Grandmother. Now THAT is scary.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Thu 23 Dec, 2010 7:06 PM Quote
Well I know a girl from my primary school who's 1 year older than me and her daughter is 11. 11!!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 23 Dec, 2010 7:08 PM Quote
Yes I think all the expectations around Christmas make you feel like you're the only one not at this manic level of Christmas cheer. I find most people feel like we do. It is a bit more enjoyable with kids, or it at least motivates me to make some sort of effort to do things.

I also am not a New Years person. I've had had some bad New Year's experiences; the worst being my grandmother dying on New Years.

I wouldn't say that I totally dwell on that every year but I just can't get too excited about it. A big part is the general pain of finding a babysitter, going out, dealing with traffic and drunk people, and going to bed late. My kids are waking up at 6 no matter when I went to bed so staying up late just isn't very appealing to me.

I'll be very relieved (as I am every year) when January is here and we can go back to to normal.

Until Christmas marketing starts up again in July.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 23 Dec, 2010 7:19 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
Well I know a girl from my primary school who's 1 year older than me and her daughter is 11. 11!!

jeesh! This girl I used to play hockey with, who is the same age as me, stuck up a fb convo with me maybe a year or so ago and said she was preggers. I asked if it was her first, and she said no, her 5th! FIFTH! I think the first 2 were in highschool.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 23 Dec, 2010 7:57 PM Quote
I know I would definately feel different about Christmas if I had kids but I don't so I just kinda find it depressing. I know I'm cynical and pessimistic but if there were kids around I would make an effort, for some strange reason kids get on with me quite well (maybe because I'm a big kid myself).

I usually spend New Year entertaining, I'm actually a not bad cook and quite a good cocktail maker (even if I do say so myself). This will be the first time in years I have no plans and it's kinda scary for me. I may just head to the local and come home around 10pm or so that way I'll probably crash early enough.

Dubz

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 29 Dec, 2010 3:01 PM Quote
The only way I could hate the song "Crocodile Rock" more than I already do is if Nickelback did a remake of it.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 29 Dec, 2010 3:14 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
The only way I could hate the song "Crocodile Rock" more than I already do is if Nickelback did a remake of it.

They'd change the tune of it to the one song they know.

Pages Previous 1...3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Times BST Current Time 4:02 AM