Travis

Re: Things I have realized
Sarah-
Sarah- Posted Fri 01 Oct, 2010 6:27 PM Quote
autumn is here.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 08 Oct, 2010 1:49 PM Quote
If left to her own devices my dog's diet would consist of dead worms, acorns, and cat poop.

Reason 476 I prefer cats.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 08 Oct, 2010 2:33 PM Quote
Also, she smells. Even 5 minutes after a bath.

Reason 477 I prefer cats.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Fri 08 Oct, 2010 8:34 PM Quote

I've learned a lot in these past few weeks.

- Mayonnaise tastes completely different in Europe and looks a lot "whiter". I prefer my local mayonnaise.
- It does not always rain in London. I spent a week there and it was always sunny. No rain.
- "French people aren't nice": that's a myth. The French people I met were very kind and friendly.
- All the stereotypes atributed to Germans fit Austrians better.
- There are a lot of mice and ravens in Europe. I had never seen a mouse or a raven before, now I've seen plenty. And squirrels. I love squirrels.
- "These things don't happen in Europe, only in Latin America". False. They do happen in Europe.
- It's very rare to find grapefruit soft drinks in Europe.
- People eat a lot in Europe.

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Fri 08 Oct, 2010 9:42 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:

ROFL!!! Please name some examples :D :D

However, I hope you know there's a huuuuuge difference between the "Viennese" and the "Austrians". I know quite a few Austrians (from Linz and Salzburg) who would rather be called a "Bavarian" than a "Viennese" ;P And I did warn you about Viennese men, didn't I? ;D

But yes, it's very likely that the Viennese fulfil the negative clichés attributed to us poor Germans better than we do ;P

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 08 Oct, 2010 9:45 PM Quote

Come to America and be even more horrified!!

But speaking of food it never ceases to amaze me how much butter Europeans put on their bread.

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Fri 08 Oct, 2010 9:45 PM Quote

- "These things don't happen in Europe, only in Latin America". False. They do happen in Europe.

did they happen in Italy and Spain? ;P another cliché, btw, but one that somehow never gets old...

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Fri 08 Oct, 2010 9:55 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:

But speaking of food it never ceases to amaze me how much butter Europeans put on their bread.

oh yes, butter... we tend to love butter.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Fri 08 Oct, 2010 10:38 PM Quote
thewishlist wrote:

ROFL!!! Please name some examples :D :D

However, I hope you know there's a huuuuuge difference between the "Viennese" and the "Austrians". I know quite a few Austrians (from Linz and Salzburg) who would rather be called a "Bavarian" than a "Viennese" ;P And I did warn you about Viennese men, didn't I? ;D

But yes, it's very likely that the Viennese fulfil the negative clichés attributed to us poor Germans better than we do ;P

Oh, then I rephrase: they fit Vienneses better. :oP

Some examples: People in Vienna have a seriously strict attachment to rules and scheadules, meaning: it's almost impossible to find a place to eat at 9:00 pm (days in Vienna are incredibly short!), or anything open on Sundays. My sister tried to find a chemist on a Sunday and there was only one duty chemist in the entire city. Everything's closed on Sundays except souvenir shops and some cafés or restaurants, and that's the law. When we asked someone what do people do if they have an emergency on a Sunday, he said "they solve it on Saturday or Monday", hahaha.
And once when I asked a lady if it was safe to leave my belongings in a locker, she gave me a very long speech about how I should feel 100% reassured because of the strength of the Austrian law.
And people often say Germans are cold... Germans are lovely. Austrians are way colder and distant. There are some friendly Vienneses too, of course. But it's the city where people were more distant, in my humble opinion.
Still, I loved Vienna. :oP

weirdmom wrote:

Seriously?? More?? Lol!
Ohh, I love butter too. :oP

thewishlist wrote:

did they happen in Italy and Spain? ;P another cliché, btw, but one that somehow never gets old...

They happened in Italy, Spain, France, Austria and England. :oP Different things in different places, but I'm so happy I'll be able to refute people in Argentina who say "these things don't happen in Europe". :oP

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 08 Oct, 2010 10:46 PM Quote
edit: eeek sorry didn't preview that pic. I can't find a smaller one that shows the massive amount of butter on it.

While I recognize this is tasty, this horrifies my arteries and gives me a stomach ache just to look at it.

I cannot get over how much butter our exchange student goes through. Well the amount of food he consumes is quite stunning. My husband calls him the food processor.

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Fri 08 Oct, 2010 10:58 PM Quote
Oh, then I rephrase: they fit Vienneses better. :oP

Some examples: People in Vienna have a seriously strict attachment to rules and scheadules, meaning: it's almost impossible to find a place to eat at 9:00 pm (days in Vienna are incredibly short!), or anything open on Sundays. My sister tried to find a chemist on a Sunday and there was only one duty chemist in the entire city. Everything's closed on Sundays except souvenir shops and some cafés or restaurants, and that's the law. When we asked someone what do people do if they have an emergency on a Sunday, he said "they solve it on Saturday or Monday", hahaha.

LOL, it's the law over here, too. At least in (Catholic) Bavaria, the Sunday is still kinda holy, shops are closed, it's the day to spend with the family and get some rest. It's changing in some other areas but never in the South, I guess. Being the child of two former shop-owners, I've always LOVED this law. My parents wouldn't have had a single free day if it wasn't for those rules. HOWEVER, shops at the railway stations are always open, there are some small corner shops that have extra permission to open, you can get fresh bread (very important *lol*) on a Sunday, and you wouldn't have problems to find a chemist or a doctor on duty, at least not in the cities ;). And of course, all cafés and restaurants are open, as are all museums etc ;)

And once when I asked a lady if it was safe to leave my belongings in a locker, she gave me a very long speech about how I should feel 100% reassured because of the strength of the Austrian law.

Haha, No idea where those people get their believe in the law from and why they connect it with locker safety ;)

And people often say Germans are cold... Germans are lovely.

I'm glad to hear that, even though you didn't come to Munich ;) (err, Bavarians tend to swear a LOT but it's part of our culture and we're incredibly lovely and caring inside *lol* yes, maybe it was good you didn't go to Bavaria on your very first trip to Europe ;P)

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 09 Oct, 2010 2:23 AM Quote
Bulmers gets you drunk, my mate is fucking deadly, you should never drink and dial.

Dubz

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 09 Oct, 2010 9:14 PM Quote
I'm pished.

Dubz

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Sun 10 Oct, 2010 12:42 AM Quote
I go crazy when my favourite writer wins the Nobel Prize.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Fri 15 Oct, 2010 11:39 PM Quote
Is there a school uniform for home schooled kids ?

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Times BST Current Time 2:03 PM