Travis

Re: Israeli Armed Attack on Gaza-bound Freedom Flotilla
mili
mili Posted Thu 03 Jun, 2010 7:34 AM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
This thread caused me to have a dream about Turkey. For some reason, I was on the run from the police and decided the best place to hide would be in Turkey. A nice woman took me in and fed me and gave me a room. I wanted to thank her, so I made her a card with a picture of a turkey on it. (No, I would never do this in real life!) The lady was very offended by my turkey card and I felt really bad because she had been so kind to me.

Poor Turkey with a name that means unusual things in other languages. Its Finnish name "Turkki" means fur coat in Finnish, and its capital, Ankara, means strict.

travisturkey
travisturkey Posted Thu 03 Jun, 2010 9:43 AM Quote
mili wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
This thread caused me to have a dream about Turkey. For some reason, I was on the run from the police and decided the best place to hide would be in Turkey. A nice woman took me in and fed me and gave me a room. I wanted to thank her, so I made her a card with a picture of a turkey on it. (No, I would never do this in real life!) The lady was very offended by my turkey card and I felt really bad because she had been so kind to me.

Poor Turkey with a name that means unusual things in other languages. Its Finnish name "Turkki" means fur coat in Finnish, and its capital, Ankara, means strict.

There are some serious similarities between Turkish&Finnish btw, because of their Ural-Altaic roots. =) Also, fur coat means "Kurk" in Turkish =)

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Thu 03 Jun, 2010 6:02 PM Quote
travisturkey wrote:
mili wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

There are some serious similarities between Turkish&Finnish btw, because of their Ural-Altaic roots. =) Also, fur coat means "Kurk" in Turkish =)

This is very funny! Kayte, I loved that remark about how you'd never do that in real life, lol.
In Spanish it's Turquía, and it doesn't mean anything besides the name of the country.

travisturkey
travisturkey Posted Fri 04 Jun, 2010 10:53 AM Quote
All contact lost with the Irish flotilla:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/israel/7802608/Gaza-flotilla-Israel-accused-of-sabotaging-Irish-aid-ship-Rachel-Corrie.html

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 04 Jun, 2010 11:55 AM Quote

Possible non-story, nothing in the Irish Media about this.

RTE News & Irish Times both reporting that blockade may be eased. Irish ship MV Rachel Corrie expected in Gaza in next 24 hours.

Dubz

travisturkey
travisturkey Posted Fri 04 Jun, 2010 1:14 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

RTE News & Irish Times both reporting that blockade may be eased. Irish ship MV Rachel Corrie expected in Gaza in next 24 hours.

Dubz

Well,what else can they do when even US started grumbling?

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 04 Jun, 2010 10:26 PM Quote
travisturkey wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Dubz

For Fuck's Sake !!

You are getting what you wanted but still bitch and moan, How about "Well at least it's a step in the right direction"

Hostility and contempt breed hostility and contempt. Someone has to take the initiative and make the first move towards peace.

Dubz

travisturkey
travisturkey Posted Sat 05 Jun, 2010 9:15 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
travisturkey wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Dubz

For Fuck's Sake !!

You are getting what you wanted but still bitch and moan, How about "Well at least it's a step in the right direction"

Hostility and contempt breed hostility and contempt. Someone has to take the initiative and make the first move towards peace.

Dubz

"Easing" the blockade(up to which point we still don't know) under heavy international pressure is not a first move towards peace. The blockade is "illegal","unjustified" and internationally "not recognized".For the record, I am not all pro-Palestine in Gaza/Israel events.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 05 Jun, 2010 9:24 AM Quote
travisturkey wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
travisturkey wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Dubz

For Fuck's Sake !!

Dubz

"Easing" the blockade(up to which point we still don't know) under heavy international pressure is not a first move towards peace. The blockade is "illegal","unjustified" and internationally "not recognized".For the record, I am not all pro-Palestine in Gaza/Israel events.

But surely you agree that (whether Illegal or not) a move in anyway against the blockade is a step in the right direction. I wholeheartedly agree that it's not enough and more must be done but it's a start.

Dubz

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 05 Jun, 2010 11:26 AM Quote
btw.

Sky News reporting Israeli Navy have "peacfully" boarded the MV Rachel Corrie and it is expected to be diverted in the next hour or so.

Dubz

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sat 05 Jun, 2010 10:37 PM Quote
Well, "peacefully" is a change. But still, it shouldn't have been boarded at all. Gaza is an autonomous territory. Israel agreed on that in 2006 (I think, I'm not sure about the year, but this did happen). But obviously, considering the situation in Gaza, it was just a mere formality. Any boat should be allowed to get to Gaza and Israel shouldn't be the one who decides on this matter at all. It has no right to do so. The blockade is illegal, and so is boarding ships in international waters.

I don't think that after what happened on Monday this should be considered a step towards peace. It's too little to mean anything, and what happened on Monday was too serious to be put behind and move on... which is what will happen anyway, because Israel won't be sanctioned for what it did. The world is so fucked up that we should take comfort from Israel's declarations of "easing" the blockade. There can be no peace as long as these crimes remain unpunished. Israel's statements are just words in the air. Netanyahu has made his point perfectly clear about peace: he doesn't give a shit. The blockade goes on, the illegal israeli colonies in the occupied territories go on, the violation of the rights of Palestinian people goes on, the control over natural resources of the Palestinian people by Israel goes on... nothing's changed. I hope I'm wrong, but Netanyahu's policies in the past don't indicate that his government gives a shit about peace.
So, I'll believe it when I see it. In the meantime, impunity goes on.

Oh, and since all the passangers of the flotilla have been released from prison (in which they were kept illegaly, mind you), it's clear that they were some of the worst terrorists, Hamas-supporters, dangerous weapon-carriers ever...

Edit: Oh, and screwdrivers, hammers and razorblades are amongst the "weapons" found on board the ships... it's not like men shave or boats need maintenance or anything (I think I've got not one but two hammers at home, am I a terrorist??). And let's not forget, Israel's army is fully equiped and well-developed: it's the most powerful army in the Middle East and one of the most powerful armies in the world (thanks to the weapons provided by USA and Western Europe and an arsenal of nuclear weapons... and Israel refused to sign the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty).

Without Israel acknowledging the existance of a problem, and the consequences of its own actions, there's no chance of peace in the Middle East.

travisturkey
travisturkey Posted Sun 06 Jun, 2010 12:33 AM Quote
Btw, things that are forbidden to enter Gaza:

Computers, refrigerators, cars,chocolate,(chocolate for heaven's sake!),fruit juice,jam,matchsticks,music instruments,(most of them),luxury items like hair cream(Israel decides on that). Israel also decides on the calories one person in Gaza needs per day, which is , according to UN, one fourth of what people need.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sun 06 Jun, 2010 9:00 AM Quote
Yes! I read that in an Aljazeera report today. It's absurd.

I found this article. Henning Mankell spoke to the press. I already admired the man before, as a writer. I even met him last year and he's wonderful, very sweet, with a real and honest commitment to justice, equality and solidarity. Now I admire him even more.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 07 Jun, 2010 5:35 PM Quote
Can they Stoop Any Lower

Dubz

Absy
Absy Posted Mon 07 Jun, 2010 8:27 PM Quote
I suggest everybody takes a look at Haaretz, an israeli newspaper : http://www.haaretz.com/

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 3:57 AM